Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Sunday 30 January 2022

WSS: Two New French Regiments of Horse

 I'm very pleased to welcome two new units for my French army, once again painted - and very nicely indeed - by Lee. Here (without and with flash - take your choice) are the Regiments of Tarnault (grey coats, in front) and Le Roi (in blue, at the back). Appropriately flagged and based, and ready for the duty boxes - thanks very much, Lee!



I had one rather amusing misadventure while basing these chaps up. The days of steel paper are long gone, alas, and the replacement for it is a very clever material which is described as Ferro Sheet, which is a little thicker than the old metallised paper but otherwise seems to work just as well. The only bad news is that it looks pretty much identical to the familiar self-adhesive Magnetic Sheet which I've been using for my soldiers for some years. I am, of course, careful not to mix these two types of sheet up, but it had to happen eventually. Having stayed up a bit late to finish off the application of Mag Sheet under the bases for these new units, and having made quite a nice job of it, though I say so myself, I was disappointed to find this morning that the new units were sliding about in their storage box - yes, that's right, I'd used the wrong stuff. So, this morning, before I fitted the flags, I had to peel off the Ferro Sheet and replace with Mag Sheet. No damage done, just a reminder that I'll have to be careful.

There is a quick safety check - the Mag Sheet will stick on the central heating radiators, while the Ferro Sheet doesn't. Fortunately, I always have a central heating radiator with me. Planning, or what?

Separate Topic - the Calm Before the Storm

Yes, there's another storm coming today - expected to arrive after 5pm. There was one on Friday, which was noisy but not too bad here, though it was pretty severe elsewhere. This one is expected to be rather worse in this area - unlike Storm Arwen, this one is coming from the South West, so it should at least be rather warmer if/when the power goes off. It is expected to be of short duration - probably finished by midnight. It puts an interesting background to the things which are supposed to be happening today:

(1) we are scheduled to do some testing of our broadband service around 7pm - this with the computer connected by Ethernet, so we don't include any delays caused by wi-fi issues. I've to take screenshots of the speedtest.com results and forward them to my service provider. I would say there is very little chance of our having both electricity and broadband by 7pm...

(2) Amazon tell me that their fine courier will deliver a package to me this evening, before 10pm. I don't think so. I think their local courier will be safely in his bed this evening, and quite right too. 

The sky seemed a bit on the red side this morning - not sure if it's enough to alarm shepherds, but I thought a photo might be a useful souvenir, just in case the garden has gone by tomorrow. [Think positive]

Whatever else happens, we'd better stow the garden chairs in the woodshed this morning. Either that, or else mark them with our name and address.



18 comments:

  1. Lol....the joys of British weather! Today, I had to make sure I had enough factor fifty sunscreen on to reduce the chances of developing skin cancer! I will check your next update with great interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of an anticlimax in the end - after the publicity, Storm Corrie was noisy but pretty tame here - I realise there has been damage and power loss elsewhere, but we came out of it OK. Lucky.

      Delete
  2. Been there, done that - mixing up the ferro- and mag-sheet that is. Interestingly (well perhaps not) I put mag-sheet in the boxes and ferro-sheet under the figures. I think I started doing it that way in the days of steel paper as I like my bases to be as thin as practicable (IMO a must for 6mil figures and steel paper was thinner).
    Good luck with the coming stormy weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep the Mag and the Ferro in the same box, but in separate plastic bags, clearly marked. Usually there is a layer of sabots and odd bases between them, but things got out of order this time, and the bags were next to each other, which means - that's right - that they stuck to each other magnetically. Thus, when I took out the bag marked "Mag Sheet" and removed a sheet from the back of it I'd actually crossed The Divide and was in the wrong Rees-Mogging* bag. Easily fixed, but I hate doing things wrong - very hard on myself - I see all slip-ups as evidence of dementia! I've now put the layer of sabots back in the right place, and shall put the Ferro Sheet in a different coloured bag, to be on the safe side.

      [ * Rees-Mogging is my new sweary adjective of the week.]

      Delete
  3. Typical of those Frenchmen to be slippery but they do look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian - I'm looking sideways at them, but remind myself it was all my own fault...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray - Lee does a lovely job, as you know.

      Delete
  5. The basing is always the finishing touch, they look good. Hope the storm does not turn out too bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pleased with them - thanks again Lee. Storm was a damp squib here, though it's hurt people in other parts.

      Delete
  6. Never mind the garden furniture, peg yourselves down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What furniture? In fact, I'm typing this reply in the Farne Islands.

      Delete
  7. Cavalry looks superb - can't wait to see the next action.
    Good luck with the storm.
    As the old adage states: 'Red Sky at night, weather is Sh**e'.

    Wait...is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour, Monsieur le Duc. Storm wasn't as bad as billed, not here anyway.

      My wife tells me that when she was a kid she thought it was "Red sky at night is a shepherd's pie", though neither of us understand this. An old fisherman who lived near here used to say, "Red sky at dawn, regret you were born", which doesn't rhyme so well in Scotland, "born" having two syllables.

      Delete
    2. Ah yes - 'boh-urn' or as they say in the western isles 'ripped harshly from thy very ma's womb on a bra bricht moonlicht nicht...ta-nicht' ...or something.

      Apparently I'm 70% Scots, so I know this stuff (and 30% bullsh*t)

      Delete
    3. Interestingly (or probably not), a friend of mine from Glasgow claimed he was 3 quarters Irish - he reckoned this because (I quote) "three of my fathers were Irish".

      Scottish "born" pronounced more like BOR-n, but same idea.

      Delete
  8. Very pretty toys indeed Tony…

    You get some fine looking sunsets up on the North East coast… it’s not quite the same in the midlands…
    We had a bit of the storm… rattling garden gates, the neighbours garden chairs rearranged themselves and someone at the end of the road may have had a moment…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly. Glad your storm adventures were not too bad - some scary stories around. They get particularly good sunsets at North Berwick harbour, looking up the Forth towards Edinburgh.

      I could do with some boring, middling sort of weather for a while now. Excitement on the meteorological front is not required.

      Delete