Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 25 September 2019

Hooptedoodle #344a - That Russian Girl


I decided I would find out once and for all about the picture on the wall of my mother's room. I took a couple of photos of it, and spent a little while playing around with Google Images.

Found it. It is a portrait painted in St Petersburg by Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun in about 1791, the subject being Elisaveta Alexandrovna, Baroness Stroganova, who was about 12 at the time.


When she was 16 Baroness Stroganova married Count Nikolai Demidov, who was appointed as a Russian diplomat in Paris, during the time of Napoleon I. They were big Napoleon fans, apparently, but the political situation meant that they had to return to Russia. The Demidovs had two children, but eventually separated because, it seems, he was too boring. Elisaveta moved back to Paris, where she died in 1818.

Here's another portrait of her, in about 1804, in Paris, by Robert Lefèvre, at a time when presumably she was still the wife of a Russian diplomat.


She is buried in the cemetery of Père Lachaise, in Paris - as am I, of course.

Sorry about this - I realise nobody could care less, though it is a nice little picture. This post is really a celebration only of Google and Wikipedia, so it is without any merit at all, other than commemoration of my finally finding out what that damned picture from Paris Match was, after only 40-something years. This is not any kind of relative of my mother's of course, though she has probably eaten Beef Stroganoff at some time in her life. That's as close as it gets. There is no point my telling my mum what I found out, because she will have no idea what I'm talking about, so it stops there.


I did get a bit distracted during my (brief) researches - Ancien Régime portraiture is not normally my thing, but Vigée Le Brun is definitely worth a read - she's certainly more interesting than Mme Demidova

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting research, and a very memorable portrait. I always love to imagine what was going their heads as they posed for these. Was it the vagaries of having to sit still, or were there wider concerns on their minds? Putting a name to the portrait helps give it a sense of its place in history. Great post.

    Of course were Elisa sitting there in this day and age, she'd be playing on her phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Elisa is deep in thought: "I think, on balance, I like the strawberry flavour best..."

      Delete
  2. Always think of my blog as being personal in the sense it's about the things I like doing and would like to keep a record of - a diary, really. On that basis, no need for you to say sorry - just keep recording and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it have been more fun to spend days and weeks (or years) and money combing through libraries and museums?

    I like the portrait with the book in hand, Sexy but sophisticated and intellectual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I guess it wouldn't, though it would feel more significant when I'd finished. I still really enjoy the days I spend with books all over the big table, trying to find exactly what General Hulot's horse was called, and other vital stuff.

      The ease of finding things out on the Internet is invaluable, but I am not sure what fun there is in potentially knowing absolutely everything, and I fear that the culture is beginning to backfire. Since you can ask Siri to tell you anything you need to know, actually knowing things is no longer trending - thus not knowing anything at all, which requires far less effort and leaves more time for texting, has become the norm. This is one reason, I think, why the UK is in its current political situation.

      Delete
  4. I was expecting something raunchy when you said she divorced her husband because he was boring and hotfooted it back to Paris.

    Slightly Disappointed of Surrey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be raunchy implications. She was noted as something of a socialite - charming, witty, very bright - and her husband was a bit serious - very wrapped up in his work. I don't know if they actually fell out, but they spent less and less time together and eventually she buzzed off back to Paris and left him to it.

      I must mention again that the story of the French artist, Elisabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun, looks worth a read - she knew everyone - she was Marie Antoinette's official portraitist, for a start. Also her paintings bring the period to life. Her memoirs are available, but kind of dear, and any worthwhile book has to contain pictures, of course, which makes a Kindle version a no-no.

      Delete