Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Tuesday 28 September 2021

Hooptedoodle #408 - Miles & Omar - Backgammon revisited

 

 
My yuppie backgammon set, from Jenner's, circa 1979. Some nice, turned wooden playing pieces would set it off handsomely, eh?

Yesterday I was sorting out some board games (not of the wargaming variety), which currently live on top of the big bookcase in our sitting room. You need a step-stool to see them at all, since the bookcase is nearly 7 feet high, so this was a serious undertaking. I found some amazing stuff up there, but decided to keep only a very few games: apart from some good sets of traditional dominoes, I'll hang on to my best chess set and board, an old set of Scrabble (essential), the base set of Carcassonne (much loved - with a couple of the expansion sets), De Bono's L-Game, a nice old set of Nine-Men's Morris (Merelles), and - last but not least - my Backgammon set, which I haven't seen for about 20 years, and haven't played for 30. 

I got to thinking about Backgammon, which I used to play a lot, and enjoy very much. It was a game which I knew of as a small child, but only because there was a board marked out on the back of a folding Draughts (Checkers) board I had. Sometime in the late 1970s I became friendly with a fellow named Miles, whom I got to know during my visits to the National Library of Scotland reading rooms, in George IV Bridge, Edinburgh. I used to spend a lot of time at the NLS at that time, because I was studying for professional exams, and if I removed myself from home distractions and babies and suchlike I had a better chance of getting some heavy studying done (though I seem to have read quite a bit of Napoleonic stuff during these same visits, which suggests my dedication was still a bit lacking).

Miles worked as an assistant at the NLS. When I got to know him better I found that he wasn't actually a librarian - he was pretty heavily qualified as an Art Historian, but he seemed to have got stuck in a temporary job in the Library for something like 10 years. They didn't pay him an awful lot, either; he and his wife rented a grim little flat up a tenement stair in Leith - a bit like downtown Beirut. I met him for a beer one evening, and went to his house for supper. Miles produced an ancient backgammon set, set it up, and during the next hour or two he taught me the rules and we played a few games. I loved it. A couple of weeks later, Miles made a return supper-&-backgammon trip to my place, but this time we played on my old folding board, and the game loses a lot like that. Ideally, a proper board should be boxed in, so you can throw the men around and they slide expertly into the corners, and the dice stay off the floor, and you should have a real wooden "bar" in the middle to place pieces on when they are out of play. The sound and the feel of the game are important, so my utility version wasn't nearly so good. Lesson learned.

Next time Miles visited me he promised to bring his old set with him. This had been his Greek grandfather's. His grandfather had taught him the game when Miles was at primary school (in London - the family owned a restaurant), and had given him his old set. The rules Miles taught me, by the way, were what his grandfather had played - I'll come back to this later.


Anyway, on his next visit, he didn't bring his old Greek set; instead, he presented me with a brand-new and rather posh boxed set - all leather and polished wood - which he had bought in the gift department of the old Jenner's store in Princes Street (long gone). I was suitably overwhelmed, but very pleased, and my new, yuppies' backgammon set, which had very little authentic class but was satisfyingly expensive, featured in our fortnightly games evenings for the next year or so. A couple of house customs grew up:

(1) you always knew which end contained the "home boards" - it was the end next to the wine bottle! 

(2) we didn't use the Doubling Cube. Ever. Miles told me that his grandfather said that it was just a device to make sure the player with the most money won in the end, so it was ignored. Miles and I used to play a-penny-a-point, using his grandfather's scoring system (which, again, I shall come back to).

Then Miles suddenly got a job more in keeping with his qualifications, and moved away to That London to work for The Royal Collections, where his first involvement was the cataloguing of historical drawings and engravings at Windsor Castle. My (first) wife was a little shocked by Miles' new status and evident salary; she classified each of my friends as either "vulgar" or "creepy" (I don't know if anyone made it into both categories - she set very high standards for everyone - apart from herself, for some reason...), and I guess that Miles was probably a creep, since he was a very courteous chap.

So that was my Backgammon career on hold. I missed my friend and our games, but I moved on (as one does). 

One day a few years later my wife came across my trusty Jenners Backgammon Set (probably on top of another bookcase), and brought it to my attention, which astonished me. Normally my hobbies were beneath contempt, but Backgammon was somehow associated with Omar Sharif, which was very interesting indeed. I must explain that my first wife had a thing about Omar from earliest puberty (no - hers, not his - don't be silly). Omar, you had better believe, was neither vulgar nor creepy; she had seen Doctor Zhivago a number of times, and on each occasion she required some days to recover her equilibrium - she had very little idea of the storyline, however, despite all that study. I digress...


Anyway, possibly because of some imagined link with Omar, I was encouraged to find someone to play with, and eventually I talked a work-colleague, Edward, into coming around for a game. I had to teach him my house rules, but we got on very well, and a new fortnightly series started.

Tragically, it didn't get very far. It was my turn to go to Edward's house, out in the suburbs, when I got a message the day before our meeting that his wife had died very suddenly (in fact she had committed suicide, I am still horrified to recall) and that was definitely the end of backgammon until further notice - the clock is still running, awaiting my return. You can see this would be a bit of a trauma. [The poor lady's demise had nothing to do with her husband's new interest in backgammon, as far as I know.]

Back to this week. 

I dug out my old set - cleaned it up (still looks good), and did a bit of online reading to refresh my knowledge of the rules. Hmmm. It seems this is more complicated than I had remembered.

OK - I bumped into the Doubling Cube very early - it states that this is an option, but playing without it is regarded as like riding your bicycle with stabilisers fitted. That's all right - in my book, coolness is not essential. If Miles' version of the game has a long tradition in the village squares and coffee houses of Greece then that has a nobility of its own. I then had a look at scoring systems, and I didn't find Miles' granddad's system anywhere, though I did read that there are a lot of local variations in traditional rules.

Which, at long last, brings me to the point. My compliments to anyone who has got this far (apart from Frobisher, who certainly will not have put up with all those adjectives and stuff). If anyone has any experience of Backgammon (and if you haven't, may I say that I believe it is well worth checking out?), I'd like to run Miles' granddad's scoring system past you. Have you seen it before? It worked well for me for some years, should I be nervous about admitting to this? Are there any ancient Greeks in the house?

The system is:

* The loser of a game pays the winner 1 penny (or whatever) for each of his men (pieces) which is in his own (the loser's) Home Board at the end of the game, 2p for each man which is in his own Outer Board, 3p for each man in his opponent's (the winner's) Outer Board, and 4p for each which is either in his opponent's Home Board or on the Bar.

* This basic total is paid over as it is if the loser has commenced "bearing off" his men before the game ends.

* If the loser has not yet borne off any of his men, the result is a Gammon, which means that he must pay twice the total.

* It can get worse: if the loser has not yet borne off any men, and any of his men are in his opponent's (the winner's) Home Board or on the Bar, the result is a Backgammon, and he pays three times the total.

I think this system does affect the strategy a little, since players will try to minimise the cost of a defeat. If you are interested in the rules of Backgammon, you'll find them here.




19 comments:

  1. A wonderful account! My wife and I enjoy backgammon although we are not terribly good players. But it is fun and the tactile nature of the game, as you point out, is second only to miniature wargaming.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes. I did a panic-stricken edit on this post this morning; in my enthusiasm to explain the scoring system clearly, I had managed to get it very clear, but back-to-front, which would make a very odd game. I have now corrected it - the logic is that the potential loss on defeat *reduces* as a player develops his men towards his Home Board.

      Just goes to show that two big glasses of wine during the radio broadcast of Liverpool's game against Porto last night should have encouraged me to run a proof-reading idiot check before publication. Never mind - fixed now. All over Greece, if anyone read my early version, there may be fights breaking out in cafes.

      No - probably not very likely, then.

      Delete
  2. Prof De Vries (from whom I have not heard for a while, so I am glad that he is still around and reading my blog) emails to say that the Greek version of Backgammon is known as Tavli, and does not use the Doubling Cube. Aha!

    He also says that the game Miles taught me is called Portes, which is the first of 3 variants, which are each played in succession as the 3 rounds in a full game of Tavli. He says the normal scoring system in Tavli is to accumulate points - 1 for a win, 2 for a Gammon - there are no Backgammons in Tavli. You settle up according to the points totals. Backgammon and its variants were banned for a while by the Catholic and Greek Orthodox churches, apparently, because of the gambling element. The Professor suggests that Miles' unusual scoring system might be a local variant, and is almost certainly Greek in origin.

    While on this tack, I recall that Miles played his game with the players sharing a single pair of dice, and there was some serious protocol involved in just when you rolled them; if you roll before your opponent takes his hand from his men then it does not count and you have to roll again, but as soon as you roll your opponent may not change his move. This could make the game quite aggressive, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling that the points system you mention might tend to discourage playing a 'back game' if things go awry early on. Back games tend to make use of early set backs to create a gauntlet for the opponent's men to get by. Apparently its winning chances are pretty good but when it loses, it loses big - often a gammon at least.

    There is more to the doubling cube than increasing the stake. It forces one to make a judgement on the position on the board. If you are thinking of offering, are you assessing that it is better to take the current stake or in order to win a bigger one, take chance on losing the bigger one? If offered, are you prepared to risk losing more on the chance of turning things around, or do you prefer the guaranteed lesser loss.

    Very late in the game, the doubling cube might lead to settlements, in which what is paid over is assessed on the odds of winning and losing.

    I've known some amateur games in which the doubling cube may be turned over twice only during a game. Player A turns it; Player B may later on redouble, and that's the doubling cube done with.

    All this is going by a very dim memory: I haven't played in over 35 years, and haven't a set in the house. I think I have a book, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have a serious look at (and read about) the Doubling Cube. Miles' granddad was quoted as saying it was an evil piece of kit added to the game by Sicilians. I'm familiar with the defensive game, leaving pieces to pick off the opposition when they get near their Home Board. As I sit here, I can't remember whether you are forced to capture an enemy piece, or can use the dice more peacefully elsewhere - more reading coming up.

      Delete
  4. You have certainly brought back some memories here Tony…
    I also learned to play Backgammon back in the late 70s in Edinburgh. I was introduced to the game when I worked for the Forestry Commission out on Corstorphine Road.
    They guy who taught me had been a regional champion… so I don’t think I ever won a game… I did however learn from my mistakes… which was every move 😁
    I remember my teacher telling me to never play for money… mostly because I was crap.
    Regardless of my lack of victories I really enjoyed the game and I did improve a lot and used to play quite regularly, I also played Mahjong a lot… I even managed to win at that.
    These days I have know idea where my Backgammon set has gone… like my Mahjong set … probably lost a few house moves ago.
    It’s been quite a few years since I have played either game… I’m not even sure if I could set the board up 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahjong - always fancied that as well - I'm a tart for fancy game equipment! Never played it - a friend once dismissed backgammon as being a form of ludo, and mahjong as being fancy dominoes, and that may have put me off a bit!

      Delete
  5. Interesting post...backgammon is one of those 'classic' boardgames that I've never played and have no idea about the mechanics. I ought to give it a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a try, I reckon (not having played it for 30 years!)

      Delete
  6. Ahh, I still have my board somewhere, haven't played in decades and not much back then. Mostly with my wives, also not at the same time, and neither being gamers by choice, we never used the doubling dice, or paid money for that matter.... none of us enjoyed losing money so yeah, maybe not as exciting as it could be. Once we got to Halifax I went back to rolling dice on a table full of miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like a game of backgammon in fact my wife and I played a couple of games while we were away at the start of September. I recall some of the tactics and can categorically confirm that it both is and isn't a posh version of Ludo! Mrs E and I are away again in the next few days to the south Lakes so this is a timely reminder to pack the backgammon set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking - just the thing for a wet afternoon. Enjoy.

      Delete
  8. After reading Aly’s piece there must be a thief about. I had both Backgammon and Mahjong, the mahjong set was a lot fancier than the backgammon and thoroughly enjoyed playing both in the mid 70’s early 80’s but where did they go? Ex wife possibly ! Or just another mystery .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something faintly sinister here. You would expect there to be great mounds of flared trousers, 1980s executive toys, ghetto blasters etc. Not so - whoever is running this big experiment sends in the fashion pixies at night and cleans up. (They probably sell the stuff at the Sunday Market at East Fortune)

      Delete
  9. Great story Tony and such a lovely gift from your friend Miles (hope he's doing well). My grandmother had the same version by the sounds. We used to play it heaps (sans doubling cube too). I think that my Mum or brother has it now. Great game. Great memories.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent game - and my preferred "Backgammon for softies" is especially so. This is a bit of a lateral thought, but I am also very fond of Cribbage (which, also, I haven't played for years), and I think there is a common thread, in that neither game requires you to maintain any continuous monitoring of sequences, or detailed strategy - between plays you can just swig your beer and relax. Come to think of it, that has a growing appeal as the years pass...!

      Delete
    2. Love cribbage. I learned it from my grandfather who used to thrash the pants off me (at cribbage). I play it a bit with my son (when we catch up); and he thrashes me!!

      Delete
    3. An excellent game - no venom, an elegant invention - and of course the scoreboard is fun too. If you win, you obviously played your cards with great skill; if you lose, you got bad cards. Perfect. Another beer?

      Delete