Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Sunday 13 November 2022

WSS: A Gratuitous Group of Glossy Generals

 I've been picking away at some more generals, and am pleased with the results. Pretty run-of-the-mill 20mm chaps really, but the progress is welcome after a bit of a wait.

 
This is (or could be) Earl Cadogan, accompanied by his faithful companion, Jupiter, who is black entirely because I cribbed it from Aly's blog
 
 
Normally I'm not really in favour of British Generals wearing cuirasses over their uniform coats, but this fellow is obviously some form of flaky cavalry commander or similar, so I'll take him on; he even has a moustache, for goodness sake
 
 
The main French Command Stand; the grey coat on the Grand Fromage is taken from a photo of a painted sample on the Front Rank website. My research does sometimes use secondary sources, I admit it
 
Two gentlemen from Hesse-Kassel. The chap on the left has a very old-fashioned hat, but he's a Les Higgins sculpt that I like very much. The more characters in my army, the better. His colleague is an Irregular casting, and this is the first official sight of a new experiment, standing Irregular foot figures on little brass discs, to give a better match in height and general appearance with the Higgins lads


***** Late Edit *****

I meant to mention this, because it made me laugh, but I forgot, so here it is, as an afterthought.

It will be apparent that the photos above were taken with the help of my new light-box, which is still quite unfamiliar. I took lots of photos, kept the ones I liked best, cropped them, resized them and all that.

When I had everything ready for the post, I was nonplussed to see something very strange had happened to my selected picture of the Hessian officers - exactly what had happened was a mystery, but the picture was faulty. It was apparent that a small child with a pencil had scribbled on the photo - a strange, rambling scribble, but definitely a scribble. Since I had seen neither children nor pencils during my photo shoot I was once again thinking in terms of some weird conspiracy to gaslight me.

However, when I went back to the original version on my camera, the mark was still there. You couldn't see it until the photo was zoomed, but the scribble was there. It was also present in some other shots I had taken at the same time, and the penny dropped. My light-box is held together with velcro - yards of it - round all the edges; it folds flat for storage, and you assemble it like a play-tent. The velcro had obviously captured a long (man-made) fibre from the sleeve of my winter sweater, and it had attached itself to the figure stand. It was almost impossible to see with the naked eye, but, once I had cropped and enhanced the picture, there it was. 

 
Original version, with supernatural digital scribble... [Click on this for a clearer view]

Easily fixed - the light-box was still set up, I just turned the lights back on and took a couple more photos. Tip for the future: consider wearing a wet-suit during light-box sessions...

*********************

22 comments:

  1. Very glossy indeed and the addition of the little brass disc seems to work a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm happy with the brass discs - one of my less stupid ideas, it turns out!

      Delete
  2. Lovely work on your generals, they all look the part, I must admit I do like the two standing Hesse-Kassel gentlemen, they are particularly good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie - do not ever play dominoes with these Hessians.

      Delete
  3. You can never have enough character in your army! I also use secondary sources from time-to-time although it's usually Perry as for Napoleonics. The big guy, old-fashioned guy, could always the Augustus the Strong then the other character could skip the brass disc and just be a weedy love child of his?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it already - I've been having some difficulty sorting out who ran Hessen-Kassel - the king of Sweden got involved at some point. The army was obviously available to the highest bidder, and I think the Erbprinz (Friedrich) may have been in charge of the field army in the Danube campaign. Still working on this. I find German political history requires a lot of coffee.

      Delete
    2. According to Wikipedia it was Charles I throughout the WSS. He reigned 1670-1730 and was chiefly known for hiring out his troops to serve others.
      (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_I,_Landgrave_of_Hesse-Kassel)

      Delete
    3. Yep - I believe you're right. I got a bit distracted in the earlier history, when they had rulers such as William the Interim (not one of the great epithets?) and Philip the Magnanimous (more like it). As you day, Karl was Landgrave throughout the WSS period, and was succeeded by his son, Friedrich I, who, as Erbprinz, commanded the field army on the Danube. Friedrich is complicated again (digression), because, by marrying his second wife (Ulrika - quiet at the back, please) he also became King of Sweden. In passing, it is mentioned in Charles Spencer's Big Buke (definitely a secondary source) that Marlborough wrote to the Landgrave prior to the Danube campaign, and secured a promise that heavy artillery would accompany the Erbprinz's army. I don't know if any turned up, but this is the only evidence I've seen thus far that Hessen-Kassel actually had any artillery.

      Delete
    4. In the Hessians' case, IR35 din't refer to the 35th Infantry Regiment but a tax wheeze utilised by William the Interim.

      Delete
    5. Excellent - you are in superb form tonight - whatever you're drinking, I'll have some!

      Delete
  4. Nice to see one of them with a canine companion.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ECW Prince Rupert has a detachable dog, and I once ran a game where Rupert's inspirational abilities were reduced if the dog was a casualty (I don't get out much, as you know). Cadogan is stuck with his dog. If the figure is used for another general, they have to look after Cadogan's dog. In the spares boxes I have some sample figures which Irregular sent me; these include a rather nifty goat, which I hope to palm off as a mascot on one of my Napoleonic units.

      Delete
  5. Can't fail with lots of generic glossy generals - works for me. Purely as a matter of interest (ie, it's totally outside my area of knowledge), what are the rules re cropped horsetails for the British in this - or other - period?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Napoleonics, if the figures allow it, I use cropped tails for the British, but otherwise it's a free-for-all. All my WSS soldiers ride Les Higgins/PMD horses, which have graceful, flowing tails! The lady who owns the stables next door to my house tells me that cropping tails was cruel and also unwise, since the horses couldn't keep the flies off without.

      In 20mm, I'm only aware of Hinton Hunt and NapoleoN having bothered with cropped tails - doesn't mean no-one else did it, of course!

      Delete
    2. The Garrison 25mm 7YW British horses have cropped tails. Garrison 20mm Napoleonic figures don't.

      Delete
    3. Never saw the Garrison 7YW chaps - interesting. I guess the British had started cropping horses' tails by the 7YW, then. I found this online, which suggests that the docking of tails was nominally of (debatable) advantage for draught horses, but that the general practice of lopping off tails and ears (!) became a fashionable issue in the mid 18th Century. Note the mention of regulation to stop Light Dragoons docking their horses.

      https://www.jstor.org/stable/44219235

      Delete
  6. A commendable collection of commanders Tony…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aly. A glitter of staff officers. And a dog, of course. I was going to fill out the Hessian stand with a carriage, or maybe a page, or a messenger, or a bodyguard, or a horse with a holder, and they very nearly got a goat, as mentioned. There is room - I am keeping an eye open. It might be a wine barrel.

      Delete
    2. I note Aly ascertained the use of alliteration in the auspicious title announcing the application of artwork to your august Allied authority figures. Ausgezeichnet!

      Delete
    3. Oh, wow! This is definitely worthy of a nomination for a Shafta Award - I'll get the paperwork sorted out tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. A very nice bunch of character figures there Tony, the dog is a nice little touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee - this one isn't a magnetic dog...

      Delete