Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Tuesday 29 November 2022

The Real Northampton

 Here's a rather fine portrait of James Compton, 3rd Earl of Northampton, who commanded the cavalry on the left flank of Charles I's army at the Battle of Cropredy Bridge in 1644. I was privileged to take part in a remote game last night, replaying Cropredy, and one of my roles was that of Compton.


 In the actual event, Northampton played a distinguished part at Cropredy, leading a successful charge against Waller's cavalry, so this is stimulating stuff; those of you who know me will recognise that I was an obvious fit for the brave, romantic, 21-year-old hero, who succeeded to his title when his father, the 2nd Earl, was killed at Hopton Heath the year before. It is probably worth mentioning here that the story is that the 2nd Earl was captured and offered quarter, but refused it in such a contemptuous manner that he was promptly knocked on the head. Hmmm. [Discuss]

Last night's game was both captivating and entertaining, and I must send my compliments to my fellow participants, most especially to Jon Freitag, our host and umpire, for his generosity and his patient game management. For myself, I maintained my remarkable record of being involved in turning history upside-down; it was an excellent game - the only faint shadow was that we Royalists took an absolute hammering, and my performance with the left-wing cavalry was especially fleeting.

No matter. I always play wargames with the primary objective of having a ringside seat for a bit of history, to see what happens, so the odd hammering is not a problem, but I am keen to dig out a few books to try to understand how The Real Northampton made a better job than I did of the left flank!

12 comments:

  1. I appreciate your encouragement on my game-running.

    Monday's game was a learning experience for all. Now that the rules may make a little more sense, time/distance on the battlefield continuum set, and with a more aggressive use of good generals (Northampton was rated as one of the better commanders on the field), I expect a replay might provide a very different game with different challenges for all.

    Still, for me, it was very good fun. Great to bring four new players strewn about the UK together for a game.

    Thank you for participating and I hope to see you back at the table soon.

    Interesting bio on Northampton. Thank you for these details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great session, Jon - thanks again for setting up the game, and for the inspiration to persevere with my own remote gaming!

      Delete
  2. What, no Spoiler Alert! I do see the resemblance with the portrait, something about the left eyebrow.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The young 3rd Earl does look a bit subdued here - I have a theory that he was talked into borrowing his late father's suit of armour for the sitting, and his father was a rather short man...

      Delete
  3. You said discuss so, perhaps the 2nd Duke was feeling old-age creeping up on him and felt going out fighting was a better way to go. I believe it was this sort of rational thinking that, in the days before modern medicine (and Christianity), led the Vikings to consider a straw-death a consignment to Hell.
    As for why you couldn't match the 3rd Earl? Perhaps because he was brave, romantic and only 21? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2nd Duke sounds a bit like a guy who just had to get it off his chest. One of my sons went through a period of losing jobs because he just had to tell the boss what he really thought of him - he usually lasted about 20 minutes thereafter - no-one knocked him on the head though.

      Not matching the 3rd Earl on the battlefield: Rats - I hadn't thought of that. I think that was the peak of his military career - he lost a few after that. He lived to a good age, and became known for a number of things, including being a playwright. Good for him, I say.

      Delete
    2. While Northampton had only one chance at glory on the fields of Cropredy, the modern-day wargamer has the opportunity to try again until he (or she) either gets it right or gives up. You might play it differently in a rematch.

      Delete
    3. Jon - yes - indeed so. I think with historical games there is always a slight pressure to conform to what happened in the actual battle - especially for the winning side! Even if you decide to do something different, the historical precedent has to be the first thing you consider! I would play it differently in a rematch!

      Delete
  4. He's a a good lad that Mr Freitag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The resemblance is uncanny! I am very surprised though that anyone would give you cavalry to command...

    ReplyDelete