Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 16 November 2022

A Bit of a Change of Scene, All of a Sudan

 Arranged at rather short notice, I was delighted to welcome a visit from Count Goya today. He hasn't been here for a while, what with pandemics and suchlike, but I met him off the Edinburgh train, and then he very kindly treated me to lunch (naturally, I chose the most expensive venue in the High Street), followed by a very quick introduction to The Men Who Would Be Kings at my house. He brought all the kit with him - cloth cover for the battlefield, scenery, soldiers, dice, counters - everything! All packed in a big toolbox - at North Berwick railway station I had to protect him from people pestering him to see if he could come and fix their central heating. 

We didn't have a lot of time to try out the game, so the intention really was just to get a general idea of how it works and feels. Goya has played just a few games before; my total experience consists of reading a pdf of the rules last night, and watching an introductory YouTube clip. As I said to Goya, I am the man who has read the course material, but cannot remember what it said, which rather neatly summarises my whole academic career.

The game is neat, looks good, and was particularly interesting for me since it is a period about which I know very little. We didn't get very far through our game, which was a small action from the Mahdist Wars, before it was time to call a halt, but it was a fascinating glimpse, and I'd like to have another go before too long. Predictably, unfamiliarity dominated the time it took to do anything; an awful lot of table-checking and re-reading rules. We were getting slicker as we went along, as we were meeting less concepts for the first time. It would help, I think, if the rules gave more worked examples, to turn on a few more lights during a read-through, but I guess the Osprey format limits the space available.

We also would have benefited from rather more pre-work of our own on identifying and listing (and evaluating) the attributes of the units and their leaders. With more preparation, and a more realistic time to spread out, this looks a very decent game indeed.

And the soldiers were pretty, as well, of course.

Thanks again to Goya - a most enjoyable day.

 
I was the British, which gave me less troops to manage, as a rookie. Early on, my cavalry unit spotted some chaps on camels heading my way. Confident that we could sort this lot out in short order, we closed with them, and they attacked
 
 
My cavalry were driven back, and then wiped out on the follow-up. Not a promising start...
 
 
Now the main Mahdist force came onto the field
 
With only my 3 regiments of regular infantry left, there was nothing to do but set ourselves up in positions where our superior rifle fire could be used to best effect. We eliminated the camels, and as the Mahdist troops advanced, we began a long-range rifle-fire exchange in which we seemed to have the edge, which was the stage we had reached when we had to call time. Good game - something completely new for me!


14 comments:

  1. Great set of rules that I’ve used a few times myself. You are getting adventurous. No good will come of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're right. I'm always open to new ideas if someone is prepared to bring the complete war to my door - I guess Zoom offers similar scope, but some rules are a bit fiddly for Zoom!

      Delete
  2. Excellent! Have you played any of the other, similar rules from Osprey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon - I did potter with one of the other D Mersey games - I can't remember which one, in fact (I was a visitor) - I do remember there was a rule whereby any unit which failed to activate ended all activation for the turn, so you had to test your elite units first!

      Delete
  3. Bought these rules the other year and have never got around to doing anything with them. Do you think it might help if I bought some Colonial era figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might well help. Alternatively, you could invite Goya to bring his toolbox round.

      Delete
  4. Sudan is one conflict that has interested me for years but I have done nothing about it, this could well be a "way in" to doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donnie - I fear that ideologically I am not well positioned for celebrating the Empire, but suspending belief is all part of the game, so it could be educational for me.

      Delete
  5. I have played a few games of TMWWBK but it was a couple of years ago now...my memory is, they were pretty simple and provided a fun game....definitely worth a reprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game looked very promising - we were hamstrung by lack of time (the 17:56 to Edinburgh waiteth for no man) and inexperience, but I'd like to have another go, this time with full pre-work, cheat-sheets and all the units and leaders named and calibrated!

      Delete
  6. Now be careful change of period and a different sort of rules you may need a sit down. I have the rules and I have played them at various shows, they provide a nice diversion. One day I may get round to doing a North West Frontier project. I’m glad you enjoyed the day, good company and a good game - the best sort of days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As instructed in the rule book I prepared by watching "Zulu" the night before. It did get me thinking along the right lines, I think. I have regular sits-down (?), and there is always warm-milk available if the shock is too much. It was an enjoyable day - these things happen so rarely at present that it was very much appreciated.

      Delete
  7. I am a big fan of the Osprey ‘Lion Rampant’ style games…
    They are easy and entertaining to play.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sat in on a Rampant game previously, but can't remember which one! The other players were old hands, and it went along very nicely - 100 Years War? one of the best ways to get a feel for a new game!

      Delete