Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Sunday 19 April 2020

Hooptedoodle #360 - Something Has Changed

I observe that a number of my recent blog posts will not display some of the images I inserted. I see this symbol instead of each blocked picture:

The picture is still in a library somewhere - hovering the cursor over the missing image shows a sub-caption with the name of a convincing-looking file name on a Blogger library - but I can't see the image itself, either as part of the published post or in a draft version if I switch to the editor. Oh yes - and I can't save it or open it as a separate link. For all practical purposes, the image has gone.

Hmmm.

I had a quick, rather nervous check back to 2011 or so, and I think my older posts are unchanged. This is something of a relief, since the status of my blog as one of The Wonders of the Modern Age would be severely compromised by having the pictures removed. Knocked on the head, in fact. The pictures which have been suppressed recently were (at a quick glance) some photos of book covers, which I nicked from Amazon's website, a couple of photos of items for sale taken from a 5-year-old auction catalogue, a photo of HG Wells playing wargames in his garden which I obtained from Google. My own original photos are unaffected, and I didn't look much further, so the evidence on which to base any heavy investigation is not extensive. However, not being easily discouraged, I have been pondering what's going on here.

I realise that the Amazon pictures are copyrighted, but my blog is not any kind of commercial venture, the photos could almost be described as promotional, since I was singing the praises of the books involved, and my readership is small (anyone over six feet in height, please excuse the generalisation). Quite apart from the fact that I don't suppose Amazon or anyone else would regard the inclusion of these photos as unreasonable use, or even be faintly interested in my activities, I am puzzled, if there has been a change, as to what that change is, and why.

Maybe this is an Apple thing? My desktop machine is a Mac, and my iPhone shows the same thing. However, my tablet, which is an Android device, shows this same NO ENTRY symbol, and they all do this on a variety of browsers, so this would appear to be down to Blogger / Google.

Hmmm.

Maybe there has been a tightening up on the use of unauthorised or copyrighted images? Since my own photos of my soldier collection and the games I play are all over Pinterest and TMP without any permission from me, and since I recently learned that I can order a mouse-mat, a mug or a poster from a company in the US which seems to offer a couple of my photos as stock designs, I can see some sense in this.

It could, of course, just be a glitch in Blogger - such things are not unknown. A number of the routine facilities which Blogger offers have stopped working for me over the last year - I think that this may not be unconnected with the fact that my principal sign-on uses an email account which is supported by a competitor of Google, but that's another story altogether.

Or it could be a change in Official Policy. They could be clamping down, in which case, as long as my entire blog is not wrecked, I have to shrug and say fair enough - probably not before time. If I've done bad things then it serves me right. [Drat]

To put this in context, I do not regard this as a free-for-all. I do try to behave responsibly in these matters - if I do anything that offends someone's rights, then it is normally accidental, I'll put my hand up and apologise, and remove the image straight away. It does happen, but not very often.

Some weeks ago, MSFoy received an email from a lady in the US, complaining that he had used a photo which was her property, without permission. I sent a humble apology and removed the photo promptly. I received a friendly acknowledgement - matter closed, I hope. What strikes me as a little odd about this is that the picture in question, which was in a blog post here some six years ago, was supplied by a library service I used until (I think) last year. For a while I owned a small publishing business - in fact I still do, though it is no longer trading - and I took out a paid subscription to an online library service which offered royalty-free, non-copyrighted images - clip art and photos - which could be used for small-distribution advertising and so on. It was not an expensive deal (as you would expect - quiet at the back, please), so I forgot all about it until maybe 18 months ago, at which point I cancelled my subscription.

OK - maybe that's all irrelevant, but the incident of the complaint seemed like something new. So perhaps Google have changed their rules? It would be possible for some algorithm to check the meta-data behind any image, and suppress it, I guess. I can see this would be constructive in the overall scheme of things. However, the algorithm will struggle with screen-capture images or scanned images, so I really just have to introduce an extra step to get round this. Save an image, display it in my Preview app and take a screenshot. Pick the bones out of that.

Anyway, this post has certainly gone on long enough, considering I am blundering around in the dark. I wondered whether anyone has had a similar experience recently, or if anyone knows if the law or Google usage has changed?


10 comments:

  1. I've had the same thing. It seems pretty random so I think it is a blogger glitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here Tony, just over last couple of days and across both blogs, recent posts only, older posts seem unaffected. Had me puzzled. I re uploaded the blocked images on the Therapy and they seem fine again so far, but my last but one post on the 6mm blog still has 4 or 5 missing so I'm going to try that today.

    Reading your post it occurred to me that the 'blocked' images were the ones I also posted on FB pages (Napoleonic & 6mm groups), could this just be coincidence? As an aside I find that these days FB posts get far more attention than blog posts, 100 'likes' is not unusual with numerous comments.

    Please let us know if you manage to solve the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems to be quite a few of these - see TMP http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=528238
    Happened to me a few years ago. I started going through and redoing the affected posts, then suddenly they all came back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you gentlemen - very much - according to the discussion on TMP, this is thought to be a problem with Google's picture library, and they are working on it. Message is not to re-work any posts, but wait for a fix - only seems to affect recent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is a blogger issue, and must be rectified immediately! How, after all, shall we carry on in isolation without pretty pictures? :-)
    Hopefully it is fixed soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems the tradgardmastare has had the same thing.

    http://tradgardland.blogspot.com/2020/04/blogger-wah.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  7. In fact so have I. One pic was a screenshot of an online map that I added lines and text too (though it left another such picture) but the others were my own photos of my own table. So my money’s on Google glitch. Cock-up not conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this Tony and to people for commenting. It happened to me in the middle of producing a post (all my own pictures) and was most frustrating. Always good to know that it's not one's sole experience. We look forward to normal service being resumed then?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gentlemen - more thanks for responses and welcome clues. It looks as though it is a known Blogger fault, which may or may not be connected with the Google servers where they store picture files, and which will probably be fixed in due course. The clock is ticking.

    Conspiracy? Nah - I am aware that my blog comments and the notifications thereof have stopped working to some extent, and this seems to be related to who the commenter's email provider is. What does make me slightly nervous is that I am constantly prompted to try out the New Blogger. I have only just regained my composure after Blogger (Old Blogger?) was gradually run down to encourage everyone to switch to Google+ (which, of course, was going to replace Facebook). I resisted that, because Google+ presented me with some of the signing-on challenges which I have now begun to struggle with in As-Is Blogger. I fear that New Blogger, whatever it turns out to be, might be more of the same.

    I already have a goodly number of followers (small F) who comment by email since they refuse to have any kind of Google account - I can empathise with this, but what happened to open architectures and all that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it may just be the amount of traffic? I'm having trouble getting pages to load, my hotmail's not giving me return arrows on replied mails, my blog appeared all wonky with the paged centered (after I'd spent half an hour getting it to load!), none of the link emoticon things were showing &etc. Clering history and restarting the PC?laptop is worth a try if you are having problems?

    And sometimes just a right-click 'reload image' can bring one back.

    The worst one was yesterday when three images loaded into the drop-down/pop-up thingumy but wouldn't migrate to the article page, either with a double-click or with the select button?!

    I've noticed also, when the pages are taking a while to load it's all "waiting for Google apsis" or "waiting for Google fonts", which points to heavy traffic.

    H

    ReplyDelete