Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 27 April 2020

WSS - Flag Day

I spent some time last week working on my backlog of flags - this requires a lot of scanning and lifting screenshots, some actual freehand artwork (large, to be reduced) and a whole lot of graphic editing using my much-loved old version of Paintshop Pro. I also have Photoshop, which is certainly more versatile, but Photoshop does a zillion things I don't need, and requires a PhD to use it properly. If I really need to use transparent png files, or to add shadow texturing, Photoshop is the fellow, but not this time.

Once again, I come up against a regular complaint of mine, which is the fact that you can't get proper photo-quality print paper in 80g/sm weight any more, so the finished flags are sort of OK - they'll do until I can get the good stuff again, at which point I may reprint them. This morning I attached 14 missing flags to recently-completed WSS units, which is a comfort. I also have flags prepared for the next 6 battalions I'll be painting, so I'm (briefly?) ahead of the game.

I have yet to design/draw/edit flags for 3 of my Bavarian cavalry units, but that shouldn't take long.

Here are the flags I've been working with this weekend. I've only included a small sized image here, as you will observe - oh yes, the French 1804-pattern flags at the bottom are just because I stuck them on the print file - they will not be appearing in the WSS. Also - in case it matters - please note that any direct connection between these flags and the stated units may be questionable. One does one's best.


9 comments:

  1. Yes, indeed! Highly impressive work.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done my share of flag designs over the years, and yours are much better, Tony! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely array of standards Tony...

    I rather enjoy making flags... I use a very old version of Photoshop and it’s still a bit of a learning curve... it does however give my daughter the opportunity to roll her eyes and say.... Oh Father!.... what have you done....? When I call her up and say things like.... “It’s gone all funny...again” or “I think I have changed something important “... 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like them - must admit a the moment I just use random flags where possible from the internet, otherwise just paint them direct - neither as good as being able to do my own like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work.
    We're always partial to a bit of 'flegs' over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent. I always think that the Ostriches’ flags add a welcome colourful lift to all that white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all gentlemen - a lot of the content here is bits of Robert Hall's work stuck together and flood-filled. Purists might be offended by simultaneous ciphers for Imperati Leopoldus et Iosephus, but on the tabletop they would require phenomenal eyesight. Great fun - desktop publishing was something I fell in love with in my dotage. One of my sons is a graphic designer by trade - that's not real work, surely?

    ReplyDelete