Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Thursday 23 December 2021

Hooptedoodle #416 - Another Mystery Object

 Not so exotic, in fact, but I'd never seen one before. It seems we have one in our house, though I didn't know. If you've seen these, you will know immediately what it is, otherwise you may be as puzzled as I was!

The item is made of leather, with a metal buckle - as you see, it is constructed like a belt or strap. The bulbous part is perforated on one side, and stuffed (I believe) with horsehair. This would be regarded as rather an old-fashioned item to have in the house, though I am told that they have been in some demand during the lockdown period.




Like to have a go? I'll keep unpublished any comments which include guesses or are otherwise spoilers - I'll publish and reveal what it is in a day or two. The coin in the last photo is a British 2p piece, for scale.


***** Late Edit *****

I'm very pleased with the responses - thank you all very much, so I've decided to add the dénouement a little earlier than planned.

Rob has got it - it's a Knitting Belt - as used by Shetland knitters (and others). You fasten it around your waist and, as Rob explains, one needle may be anchored by sticking it through one of the apertures, and I understand it is a major help if you are using 3 needles! Here is a lady using a knitting belt...


I'm pleased with all the suggestions, and will make sure we hang onto ours (which my wife bought at a craft fair in another century); it obviously has a great many other uses which will come in very handy.


It remains only for me to wish everyone a peaceful and relaxing Christmas. I'll see you on the other side!

*********************

13 comments:

  1. Trying to get an idea of it's length - right size to fit round the neck? Perforated, possibly soak horsehair with perfume or similar to either just smell nice or ward off germs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m probably miles off but it looks like a scolds bridle. Though that looks too recent, and less brutal than some examples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long enough to fit around the waist ? , sadly I haven't a clue !?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well my first thought was that it is something from your special dress up box…😳
    But I am going for a neck rest that would strap round the back of a car seat…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Checking sizes, more likely to go around a waist rather than the neck, but still can't think of any other purpose...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I decided this was probably better with the guesses included - thanks very much for efforts thus far - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Madame Fifi's punishment chest?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The padded bit is held in place on your forehead by the strap that buckles around the back of the noggin. Should the wearer inadvertently catch a bit of the news on TV they are free to bang their head on the wall in despair, safe in the knowledge that they will do neither their head or the decor any harm. Very useful bit of kit. Every household should have one these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A knitting pad? The holes allow one needle to be inserted/held so you can knit one-handed while rocking the cradle or cooking his dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'much demand during lockdown'. Is it a portable common-sense dispenser?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course I have to own up that my better half is a inveterate knitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, sir - very good. Please wish your wife a Merry Xmas from me.

      Delete
  12. Blimey, well I never knew that! Just showed it to my wife- an enthusiastic knitter - and had never seen or heard of such either.

    ReplyDelete