Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Sunday 6 February 2022

Sieges: The Siege of Toro (1811) - Part 1 (of several)

 Another solo practice game with Piquet's Vauban's Wars. I have a few days to work with this, so I took some trouble today to set everything up and play through the first couple of turns.


This time I've carried out (committed?) a few changes to the rules, to give a better fit with my idea of how sieges in the Peninsular War operated. I'm interested to see how these work out, and may say something about them as I go through this. Some are changes to the basics of the Piquet-style game - nothing too outrageous - some are behavioural things for the armies.

This siege did not trouble the writers of factual history, but it could have done if it had happened. Toro is a town on the River Douro. The fort is a classic hybrid for the Peninsula, with the medieval walls and towers of the town and with it's 10th Century citadel, Alfonso III's El Carrañaco. In an attempt to cope with the arrival of gunpowder warfare, the side of the town away from the river has been improved in the early 18th Century by the addition of two hornworks (named Pablo y Pedro locally), which offer platforms for fortress artillery (there is no space for guns on the walls themselves), and the whole section is protected by earth banks to shield the base of the old masonry wall.

The French commander is General Thiébault, better known as some-time governor of Burgos, and his energetic 2inC, General Valladière. The British besiegers are commanded by Sir Thomas Graham, and his chief engineer is Colonel Daniel Fogarty.

 
As I did last time, I set up a segment of the fortress on the edge of the table, with the remainder off the table on extensions (floating in mid-air!), to provide space for the garrison troops and also a little gratuitous scenic content. The old castle on the right is entirely scenic here, being the ancient citadel from the time of Alfonso III, but it doesn't get out to play very much, so I decided to give it an outing. Made by ECO, of Bavaria, in the 1970s. The smoke puffs are Boots' finest cotton wool, and these are not just for show; they indicate which guns have fired and have not been reloaded, and then when the Reload card comes up I count the puffs to assess powder consumption
 
 
To get things off to a brisk start, I used one of the options suggested in the rule book, and set the game up with the Second Parallel complete, but with no gun emplacements added to it. Here, a little way into the action, the British have brought some guns up into new emplacements, and it is apparent that everyone is banging away in fine style. At this point the two front lines are still some 700-800 paces apart, and cannon fire is not especially effective at this range. The French have heavy mortars mounted on a couple of the ancient towers, and they did some damage to British infantry sheltering in the 2nd Parallel
 

 
You can just see in these last few pictures that the French commander has turned up a Trench Raid card, and - having learned how useful these are in the previous test game - the elite infantry companies have been sent out to cause a nuisance...
 
 
Since this is supposed to take place at night (each turn represents about 3.5 days), I dimmed the lights to give a suitably murky view of the Trench Raid action. The smoke is a bit incongruous here - the mortar is not firing at the raiders, it is just marked as unloaded. In this case, the raiders were driven off with loss, which is a fine show for an unsupported mortar crew
 
 
The other Trench Raid on the same night, however, caused some damage to a 24-pdr gun, which was withdrawn for repair and solace
 
 
Much firing going on, but very little in the way of casualties or damage - that will improve as the guns advance into the 3rd Parallel, so Graham's way forward is to start work on this parallel, and do as much damage as possible to the enemy guns from his position in the 2nd Parallel
 

 
A couple of teams of Sappers set off to advance the zig zag saps - the brown felt saps provide good cover, as we are reminded by the little sets of gabions, but the Sappers themselves are really wishing that the British guns had been more successful in quietening the French artillery, long range or not
 
That's as far as I've got thus far - there was a brief outbreak of disease among the British troops - like desertion, disease generates losses which cannot be recovered, though the numbers are not high. Tomorrow I'm headed for the 3rd Parallel - things should get correspondingly nastier for the fortress gunners, but I have to say I really don't fancy the sapping job!

   



23 comments:

  1. The town and castle certainly look very impressive - I will be interested to see how the siege goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's shaping up nicely - the game would run a bit quicker if the generals would stop double-checking everything in the rule book! I'm still reaching things I haven't done before.

      Delete
  2. Extra rum for the sappers. They won’t worry so much about the Frenchies guns then, what!

    I like the multi-layered affect of the fortress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only yesterday I was reading in Chris Duffy that there were problems with casualties among sappers and miners caused by carelessness when drunk! I understand they got paid a bit extra, but they must have been mad, I would say.

      Delete
  3. A very nice looking table Tony…
    It is indeed interesting to watch this develop…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - I'm working through this over a few days, to give plenty of time for thought and photos. I seem to have constructed an inundation with a ridge in it - just a lump on the table!

      Delete
  4. Looks absolutely fantastic.
    Now, have you changed Piquet to make it more like Field of Battle (read...playable).

    Also - what make is that large one-piece castle...is it from the 1960s by any chance, as it may be rare and collectable by D&D people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rule changes: first off, "Vauban's Wars" is Piquet-based, rather than straight Piquet. Things I've tinkered with thus far include:
      * The VW card deck includes "The Siege Drags On" which is like the "Lull" card in FoB, except the potential switch of initiative only lasts for 1 card - I'm trying this with the switch lasting until next switch or end of cards, same as "Lull" in FoB
      * The role of Sappers includes the digging of trenches - for the Peninsula I've changed this so that digging is actually done by Infantry at the end of a Movement card, but they must have Sappers nearby to mark out the lines with fascines.
      * In a siege there is a lot of firing at fairly long ranges at troops in cover, so DOWN 5 or 6 is not uncommon; if this cannot get lower than D4, I found that a 6pdr (CD8) at 1000 yds against Class III used a D4, while a 24pdr (CD12) also came down to a D4, which seems silly. I'm experimenting with an alt which interprets a modified Combat Dice as theoretically lower than D4 as "no effect" - so there is a further CD below D4 of "don't bother"
      * I've clarified the cover rules so that troops who are behind walls or hiding in trenches do not count as a target unless they are on the firing step and thus able to fire themselves - exception to this is for fire from mortars and howitzers
      * I introduced a digging rule for infantry from a game of my own - no problems thus far - and also decreed that such digging takes place at night, therefore Opportunity Fire against them is impossible during the first initiative - if they have failed to complete the trench by the end of the intiative they can be shot to bits, however, as being in Class II (gabions and bits of rubbish) until they finish the job
      * There's other stuff, to do with the strength of a hybrid fort like the one in this particular game, but that's getting a bit detailed - interesting though - you can see why Wellington assumed 3 weeks for a siege in Spain, rather than Vauban's 3 months!

      One-piece castle: it's 15mm scale, which might not suit D&D - it is 1970s, pressed out of plastic by ECO, a German manufacturer of plastic drainpipes and gutters (who still exist, though they don't do the toys any more) - these forts were like a cheapo version of Elastolin. They are still available at moderate prices on eBay, though most of them are pretty beat-up. If someone wishes to buy this one, they may ask my widow when the time comes.

      In fact, I realised that I have recently lied to a couple of people about the provenance of this ECO Castle - I bought one exactly like this from Jenners in Edinburgh in about 1972, and subsequently sold it when it never got used - I bought the identical castle on eBay some years ago, and did a lot of work repainting it. I have actually forgotten that this is the 2nd one I've owned, so apologies to anyone I lied to - I've sort of adopted the replacement as the original.

      It's the same as the Queen never mentioning that the Crown Jewels are actually replacements she got from eBay after she pawned the originals, but in my case I'd actually forgotten that it was a sub.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes - and I've switched VW to work with hexes, to save me checking my measurements forever - "Oh look, that battery is still 24.7 inches from the covered way..."

      Delete
    3. I've just bought the rules. They are fab - I see a siege of Derry in my future...
      And that is one of the priceless elastolin castles then, that was used in 1974 D&D. I think it may be a collector's item?

      Delete
    4. Good man - I'm interested to know if you get this to work as a social game. I see it more as a solo effort, or a "collective" project for a group. For map campaigns, I use an algorithmic system for sieges, which works well enough. A proper siege game will not fit in, since the the game has to run alongside the map moves and any miniatures action, which gets very complicated - especially if there are two sieges going on simultaneously!

      Delete
  5. The town and fortress do look most impressive. I’m looking forward to seeing the redcoats swarming through the (eventual) breach…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wellington would have told you, "This may take a few days, and careful planning". I went a bit OTT with the town and fortress to make up for the rather bleak terrain otherwise!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful Tony, thoroughly enjoying this. The scenery looks ace too. I’ve spent as much time looking at the piccies as reading the text. After a long time planning this type of game I hope you are enjoying the execution of it. ECW sieges at some point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it, it is quite a lot of work, though, so I'm planning sessions of 3 hours at a time! For ECW, it might be possible to get a complete leaguer of some nobleman's house (e.g.) in the centre of the table, since the area is small and ranges are short.

      Delete
  7. Looks absolutely great, I like the town, and you sound more satisfied with how it's working after your rules amendments.
    Are the 3rd Division going to make a diversionary escalade attempt on the castle, a la Badajoz, seeing as how it's there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've changed my mind about a couple of the tweaks, but some are an improvement, I think. British getting round to thinking they should just get on with battering the wall, and never mind that there is a fair amount of French heavy artillery still working. After all, the boys are not planning to put the last parallel on top of the Glacis, because there isn't one.

      Delete
  8. Are you absolutely sure its not the one you sold that got sold again and again and eventually found its way home? Possibly being changed slightly during its journeys as such adventures tend to do to one....

    I do like the look of this siege though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, unusually for me, I know what happened to my original fort, because the chap who bought it still has it, and he hasn't done anything with it either...

      Siege proceeding OK today - it's hard work solo, but OK. I'll write up some more tomorrow night.

      Delete
  9. Really good looking table I had two of those vac formed castles ( different ones) my colleague brought them back for me from Germany when he was stationed there in the 70’s. Really enjoying your play through of the siege rules and your ‘tweaks’ looking forward to the third parallel .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that Jenners sold a few different ones - some much larger than the one I have. There is an old blog post of mine in which I describe buying the replacement on eBay (2015, I think), which includes a photo of some of the other types. In that post I also state that I have no idea when I got rid of the original, or to whom. Subsequently I received an email from the guy who bought it from me, and in fact I did remember him, and we have kept in intermittent touch - his ECO castle (formerly mine) is still in the original paint, and last I heard was still in good nick, and had still never been used for anything, and lived in its box in the bottom of his wardrobe. I am still alarmed that I had gradually decided that I had repainted my original castle, whereas the reality is that this is the second one I've owned - I guess the trauma of deciding whether to repaint it confused me. At least I know that when I become seriously demented no-one may notice!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you sir - I am a bit embarrassed that the timing of this game was mostly to do with my wife being away for a few days, which allowed me to take rather more extreme liberties with the house than usual!

      Delete