Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Tuesday 14 December 2021

Hooptedoodle #415 - Muted Celebrations

 This completely pointless post follows from a telephone conversation I had with Older Son No.3 on Saturday. I rang him up to see how he is doing - he has had some problems with his physical health recently, and is working from home, so I phone him up from time to time to see how he is coping. We had a fairly downbeat discussion about what his solitary Christmas is likely to be like, and from there we got onto the general topic of celebrations that fall flat, and I have to say that we finished up having one of the best laughs I can remember for a while!


He recalls that on his actual 21st birthday he was studying for exams, and he had recently been forced to move his accommodation to a different hall of residence, since there had been a fire at his previous one. He now shared a landing with 4 students from Sri Lanka (this was in Glasgow - he still lives in Glasgow). He says they were nice enough lads, but they kept to themselves, and communication had been limited.

However, somehow they were aware that this particular day was his 21st, and at about 6:30pm his doorbell rang and there were his 4 neighbours, looking very embarrassed. One of them said "happy birthday", and handed him a pack of 6 cans of beer. Suitable encouraging gestures were made, so he drank one of the cans, standing at his door, while they applauded politely, and then they shook his hand and went away, leaving him to his exam revision. That was the full glory of his 21st birthday.

Like me, he tends to see life as a series of clips from potential sitcoms - very low-budget sitcoms, at that.

I remembered my actual 21st birthday too, so I shared that with him. Another TV script, I'm afraid, and I still laugh [nervously] at it now. I was on study-leave from university, so had gone home to Liverpool - leaving my girlfriend and most of my normal social circle many miles away - so that I could get my laundry done and eat some healthy food and possibly even get in some serious cramming. My actual birthday was on a Saturday, so my mum was very keen that we should have some little family party - at our house - to grace the occasion.

My dad was very much opposed to the whole idea - at the time he was on very prickly terms with his siblings, largely as a result of my grandmother having had a fatal stroke the first time we took a turn at having her stay at our house, a couple of years before. Just a bad break, I guess.

Anyway, after much argument, family members were invited to our house on the Saturday afternoon. I had the interesting challenge of finding something half-decent to wear. It was all very stilted; a few invitees called off for plausible reasons, I received some presents, made appropriate small talk with relatives - some of whom I couldn't really remember - and we had vol-aux-vents and Ritz crackers with cottage cheese and shrimps on them - the sort of food I later associated with team meetings at work. Well intentioned, but grim.

My dad got fed up with this very quickly, and at about 4:30pm he brought one of the kitchen chairs through to the sitting room, turned on the TV, and sat in the middle of the party, staring fixedly at the horse racing until everyone picked up on the awkwardness and remembered that they really did need to be somewhere else. By 5:30 everyone had left. My parents didn't speak to each other for a week or more, and we had vol-aux-vents from the fridge for tea until they were finished. Vol-aux-vents still make me laugh.

I didn't visit my parents again for some years, so there was an upside to the story, at least.

Anyway, son Peter and I laughed long and loud at the recollection of our birthdays, all those years ago. The point of trotting out this nonsense is simply that I suspect there may be a wealth of stories of failed celebrations out there. My own stag-party ended with me, as the only one left standing, having to take about half-a-dozen of my mates home safely, since they, at least, had had a roaring time.

The only other epic I can think of from my own history was a registry-office wedding I attended in Edinburgh when I was a young chap. I was the Best Man for the event - in the circumstances, I think I may have been Chief Witness, but it's the same sort of deal. The groom was a good friend of mine, and his intended was the daughter of some actual, genuine, titled nobility (I think they were Lord and Lady Dick-Lauder, though don't quote me on this), who were hostile and graceless throughout, and seemed to have come along to the event mostly to pour scorn on the assembled commoners. I had sweated blood over a speech and everything, but the celebration was stopped in its tracks when the bride didn't show up. Very embarrassing all round, but another great TV show in the making.

So...

Anyone got any good-going personal tales of embarrassment, misunderstandings and/or physical violence from celebrations that went disastrously wrong? I'm sure there must be plenty - in fact if there are I'll feel better about the whole subject!


21 comments:

  1. Yup. Got separated from my stag night 'friends' while drunk (mostly male family members to be honest - didn't really do mates even back then) and found myself adopted by a hen party out on the same night. Having lost the groom my stag group broke up and went home around 11pm. I arrived outside my in laws house (where the current mrs broom and I were staying that weekend) at three o'clock in the morning in a loudly revving Cortina. Under the watchful eyes of the curtain twitching neighbours I crawled up the garden path in a trail of my own vomit to the cheers and catcalls of the assorted hen party girls in the car. They drove off screaming with laughter and tooting the horn as the front door opened to reveal the ominous silhouette of my prospective wife. Still married to the same bird 38 years later so I suspect she might have forgiven me by now. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent - that's perfect TV. I like it a lot. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I can’t match you for grimness Tony but I can add the minor violence missing from yours and JBM’s accounts. At what now seems the implausibly young age of 25, I was getting married to my girlfriend from university down in Cornwall. My stag night was set for the night before the wedding day (none of your trips to Tallinn or driving quad bikes weeks before the big day that seem to be de rigeur now).

    Like JBM I didn’t have pals in attendance apart from my best man, and maybe my brother. The others were my future brother in law, his cousins and a couple of other local lads. We ended up in a pub/night club outside Newquay. Somewhere along the line one of the local lads had come across someone he had a grudge with.

    At kicking out time, said local was fronting up to his (for some reason bare chested) adversary outside when no sooner had we noticed ‘our’ guy was ‘lamped’ and hit the deck. So up popped another of our party to confront the villain and he followed his route to the car park floor in short order. This carried on down the line, with each lad finding he had a pressing need to inspect the ground, until it was the turn of my fiancée’s brother. ‘Whack’ he too hit the deck.

    I was getting worried by now, honour demanded it would soon be my turn. But no, in stepped my best man, Old School Tony (for it was he) to take command of the situation. He would prevail where these “southern softies” had been found wanting. “Bang!” Or perhaps not. Tony’s on the floor too. The victim of a ‘minus 1 for being attacked in flank’ he would later claim.

    I didn’t struggle too hard against the group holding me back. Next day when they appeared Best Man and bride’s brother made up stories involving doors to explain their black eyes. “Well thank God it wasn’t you or I wouldn’t have gone through with it” I was sternly told.

    With hindsight, if I had struggled harder and fulfilled my debt of honour I could have saved a lot of money years later getting divorced. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a brilliant story - apart from the adventure, it is an illuminating insight into why young men traditionally suffer from heavy mortality rates between 18 and 23. What is it all about? I think the local scrapper may have been bare-chested because he was obviously a professional of some sort - certainly he seems to have been a local champion. I realise these things never make sense anyway, but why did the guys volunteer one at a time to step into the breach? Why not a general melee? Are there some rules at work here. I am very impressed by this tale - I 'm glad you managed to engineer a swerve, too.

      Delete
    2. The only way I can explain it is it was like some sort of Triple Entente. England and France didn’t have any excuse to pile in on Austria-Hungary without provocation from Germany, but felt obliged to take up Russia’s case without provoking an all out war with the Central Powers, once it was defeated. In this case ‘Austria-Hungary’ was more like Germany in terms of war-readiness.

      I should point out Old School Tony feels his injuries were not so great as my brother-in-law and had probably slipped in surprise on being assaulted from the side.

      Delete
    3. That's a very concise and meritorious explanation. So the situation was as clear-cut as WW1 - fine. In view of the mitigating circumstances, does OST claim a battle honour for this action?

      Delete
  3. My stag do was with a number of people from Liverpool Wargames Association. Don't remember a lot about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds pretty extreme - did they ever find you?

      Delete
    2. They even delivered me home safe and not really sound.

      Delete
    3. That's very fair! You taught in Liverpool, didn't you? I was brought up in Toxteth and Princes Park (long before your time!). If you don't wish to discuss it then no problem, but which schools did you teach?

      Delete
    4. I wasn't a teacher back then - didn't become a teacher until late 70s. Quite a few LWA members came from from Toxteth - not what you would describe as a 'good' area. One of then, John D, had a flat mate who owned an old van that got stolen every couple of weeks. He left it unlocked and the police asked him why. He said, 'lock it and it still gets stolen and but smash the locks -I would have to pay for new locks. Leave it open and they just drive it around for a while, abandon it and you tell me where I can collect it.'

      I remember the Toxteth riots - at that time I used to drive into Liverpool during the week. Past the police cordon going in, past the police cordon going out, no problems. Well, the rioting only happened at night. Got lost once though. There was an antiques warehouse in Toxteth, Harry Swainbanks, (think that't the spelling.) It got burned down together with a few other buildings, they collapsed into the cellars and left a wasteland... then I spotted a portacabin bank I recognised and got my bearings!

      Delete
    5. Whoops... didn't become a teacher until late 80s! - 1987 to be exact!

      Delete
    6. Righto - I got that one wrong - apologies. I lived in Belvidere Road when I was a nipper (which, if it had one, might be regarded as the posh end of Toxteth). I was at school in Aigburth, then moved to Mossley Hill/Allerton when I was 10 or so. I knew the Brook House pub in Smithdown (wargaming venue?) well enough - my Nan lived off Penny Lane, and for a while I had a girlfriend who lived off Ullet Road. I used to walk an awful lot of miles in those days. It was the only peace I ever got!

      Delete
    7. ... further to which - Swainbanks' saleroom was the old Rialto Ballroom, wasn't it? - where Princes Avenue runs into Upper Parly St. That was nagging me - I remember seeing that, but it was long after my days in the 'Pool.

      Delete
    8. Yep, there was indeed a wargames club at the Brookhouse in the late 70s. I ran it! It's membership was basically the LWA committee! Always hard to find Penny Lane - people kept nicking the sign...

      Delete
    9. Don't know about it's past - just that it was piled ceiling to ceiling with bits of broken furniture. I first moved to Liverpool (well, Halewood) for work and stayed in digs with an antiques dealer/maker/restorer. Used to go around with him sometimes including a couple of trips to Harry's. Don't know how much the stuff inside was worth but gather it was all uninsured!

      Delete
    10. The Swainbank family are still selling "antiques" in Liverpool, I understand - here's a quick potted history of the Rialto Cinema/Ballroom - Swainbank gets a mention, as does the end game in 1981

      https://www.chestercinemas.co.uk/rialto-cinema-toxteth-liverpool/

      Delete
    11. Very interesting seeing the picture of the place burning down and knowing I drove past the day after! Funnily enough, can't remember the domes. It was a long time ago!

      Delete
  4. Well, I turned up for my first stag night to find the pub showing live footage of the unfolding Heysel Stadium disaster, then repeating it constantly through the evening. With hindsight, I should probably have seen it as an omen.
    Embarrassingly, it came up as the name the year question in our pub quiz the other week, and I got it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's certainly more than a little harrowing - not easy to rise above that. My first honeymoon (to the Isle of Man) my wife was very seasick from the crossing, then she got food poisoning on day 2. Fortunately the Olympics were on so I spent most of the time watching TV on my own. Otherwise I'd have had to have a nervous headache, I guess. Memorable.

      Delete
    2. We honeymooned in the Western Isles. She only took big jumpers and woolly dresses to wear and the weather was absolutely scorching. I think she was North Uist's first ever case of heatstroke. I (obviously) got the blame for not mentioning the Gulf Stream.

      Delete