Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Saturday 28 August 2021

Kilsyth 1645: Wargame Homework - Facts and Legends

 I am preparing for a Zoom wargame, to take place in a little over 2 weeks - I shall host it and I'll be the umpire, which is a situation I enjoy very much, though the experience of the remote generals is heavily dependant on the technology and the picture-quality at their end!


I once had a solo game which was (sort of) based on the Battle of Kilsyth, which in reality took place on 15th August 1645. The game was interesting and a great deal of fun, and I've had a hankering to try it again, with some changes based on things which I've read subsequently, and on aspects of that first attempt which I'd do slightly differently now.

Kilsyth? Well, you may know a great deal about the battle, maybe not. It took place in Lanarkshire, not far from Glasgow, during one of the Scottish bits of the ECW. It featured the Covenanter army, in which I am very interested, and (of course) James Graham, the Marquis of Montrose. Montrose is a fascinating character - to this day there is still an active society to preserve and enhance his legend; in its way, this is a warning sign - the central personality can get in the way of any kind of impartial study. Trying to get some facts about the campaigns of the Marquis is not unlike trying to find some factual history about Robin Hood. The ghost of Walt Disney never seems far away.

I'm having a great time preparing for my Zoom game - I have a lot of books here, most of them excellent, and there is some good stuff online, but there are some surprises for the amateur student. First of all, we have the first-hand narrative of the General in command of the Covenant troops, William Baillie, which - since he was badly beaten - is bound to be something of an exercise in self-justification, but overall it's not a terrible account. We also have the version of the tale which comes from George Wishart, who was Montrose's personal chaplain, and later his biographer - this is adulatory throughout. This theme goes through all the subsequent secondary works. 


Dame CV Wedgwood (Montrose - 1952) and Nigel Tranter (Montrose: The Captain-General - 1973) are both historical novels, really, written in homage to the handsome, brilliant, tragic hero. The good guys are perfect - brave, and breathtakingly wise and just - and the bad guys are - well, ugly, and evil. Boo. Tranter has Montrose and his chums speaking like the lads from a GA Henty novel, and there is much reference to keen eyes, and frowns upon noble brows.

Vol.2 of SR Gardiner's marvellous History of the Great Civil War is heavily pro-Royalist (which was seen as a patriotic position to take, it goes without saying). Again, the references to Montrose and his short career emphasise that he is a heroic character who can do little wrong, and the sizes of the forces involved are tweaked throughout to polish the legend - Gardiner's numbers for Kilsyth look very unlikely. His estimate of 6000 Foot for the Covenant forces seems far too high, and the statement that all but 100 of them were killed is preposterous.

John Buchan (Montrose - 1928) admits in his foreword that the book is really about his fascination with the central character - it is not primarily a historical record, it is the splendid tale of Montrose's adventures. I have no problem with this - it's an excellent read, but it's as well to be aware of where it is coming from.

And so on. The big discord comes with the modern works of Stuart Reid, of which I am a big fan. Reid is a thorough, nuts and bolts military historian, but he, also, seems a bit partial. Stuart gives the impression of having been irritated by the traditional representation of Montrose as a god-like martyr, and strives to present the flaws as well - maybe he pushes too hard the other way - but this is a good starting place from which to construct my game.

A couple of trivia facts - you may disagree with them - if you do, then it's OK - I'm sure you are right.

* Montrose's campaigns of 1644-45, though regarded as part of the Civil War, were not primarily driven by support for King Charles. Charles eventually saw some advantages for his failing war effort in Montrose's success, but this was opportunist rather than planned. The main drivers were clan-based rivalries of great age - the MacDonalds, the Ogilvies, the Gordons and various others vs the Campbells and the Hamiltons and their allies. The Covenant (and, no doubt, the Presbyterian vs Catholic struggles) gave a context, but this was fundamentally older stuff 

* It is interesting to observe that in my reading of the last week or so I have seen both sides described as "rebels".  Royalists considered that Montrose was fighting against the Covenant "rebels", who were allied with the English Parliamentarian "rebels", but a more logical view is that Montrose was leading a rebellion against the armies of the Scottish Parliament. However you view this, the Campbells vs The Rest thing is always there.

* Montrose himself was a signatory to the Covenant, and fought against King Charles in the Bishops Wars of 1639 and 1640. His change of allegiance had a great deal to do with the fact that his personal standing in Scotland was leapfrogged by the rise of the Marquis of Argyll (Archibald Campbell) - there was ambition and a personal feud in here as well. When Montrose first went to join with the King, Charles was neither interested nor welcoming.

OK - this is rambling on a bit. I now have a decent grasp of the OOBs I'm going to use for my tabletop Kilsyth. These are, I hope, based on fact, but they are also drawn up to give a decent game. The next point of interest is the battlefield itself. There is a good overall description in the Battlefields Trust's section on Kilsyth, but there are a few big holes in our knowledge. Much of what the BT sets out is the reasons we know surprisingly little.

Again, Stuart Reid is a useful source, but there are many things which are not clear. Partly because the battlefield has never been properly examined, and partly because some of it has now been altered by coal and ironstone workings, and by the creation of a man-made lake, Banton Loch, which covers at least part of the centre of the fight. We know where the battle took place (roughly), and there are some definite identifiers in Baillie's account, for example, but there are still arguments about exactly where the armies were, and maybe even about which way they were facing. None of this is a problem, by the way, I will happily set out a battle on my table!

Here a few random photos of the Kilsyth battlefield - not mine, by the way.




I confess to something of a blind spot when it comes to looking at battlefields. I can read a map, I think, and I can understand a toy battle laid out on a table, but place me on the ground and I will struggle; for a start, I am very poor at judging distances! This was brought home to me very forcibly when I spent a day on a guided tour of Eggmühl, a few years ago. I had a great time, but spent the day nodding rather dumbly and trying to relate what I was seeing to the map! 

Having said which, I did get a lot of valuable understanding in preparation for another wargame, a few years ago, when I walked the full width of Marston Moor (in the pouring rain). I may use this approach again - if there's a suitable day next week, I live about 80 minutes' drive from Kilsyth. I could go and have a look at it. Rain is not essential.

Hmmm.

You will hear more of Kilsyth before long. This has just been a little explanation about why I am so busy (and enjoying myself very thoroughly) during the homework phase!

21 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing more , have always found the Scottish scene more interesting the campaigns South of the border .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony - the Scottish stuff is just as complicated, but in a subtly different way! I have always fancied doing 1639/40 stuff - only problem is the English army was a bit of a joke - perhaps I could do it with a beefed-up English force...?

      Delete
  2. An interesting post. I look forward to reading how you go.

    Baillie's account is fairly clear I think and Reid's maps quite helpful.

    Reid is not reliable on Highlanders generally in my view but his account of the battle is a reasonable interpretation.

    It's on my gaming to do list too.

    BTW the account of it in Famous by my Sword contradicts all the eye witnesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One tricky bit about the battlefield is that it is possible to set the Government troops up (as per Argyll's flanking attack) so that they find the original planned advance is impossible because of the slopes, and are forced into the disastrous situation which Baillie found himself in - that's probably not a great game! Some scope for choice desirable - working on it!

      Delete
  3. I think Stuart Reid (who I have met and used to know very slightly) tends towards taking the "opposite" view to generally accepted "facts" and possibly tries too hard sometimes. Like all history, discovering the "truth" is more about weighing up the most plausible from widely divergent sources while recognising there are several alternative alternatives. The BBC Scotland programme fronted by Neil Oliver (I forget the title covered Montrose, Rob Roy) gave quite a good overview of the realpolitic of the ECW in Scotland.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Neil! Many "revisionists' fall into this camp.

      Delete
    2. Neil - thanks for this - I've ordered up Oliver's "Blood of the Clans" from Amazon! The commission payment will come your way, I'm sure...

      Delete
  4. Most excellent post, Tony! Very enjoyable to find a battle reference aggregation including battlefield photos. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon - thanks - am hoping to get some photos of my own during this coming week!

      Delete
  5. Really looking forward to this I have been having a butterfly moment with the ECW and the 15mm armies are growing rapidly, Covenanters and Montrose’s army have already been bought and in the queue. I’ve used Ramekin for a small battle with a few tweaks and have been busy cutting out the chance cards and gluing them to blank playing cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham - you will probably think this sounds nutty, but my intention is to use the Chaunce cards with the Zoom game. This may be the first recorded instance of cards being used via a Zoom link. I think it's possible because these cards are played as soon as drawn, and the full text of each is in the printed rules!

      I like to keep them in if I can - a bit of colour is lost without them. I produced these as an add-on to the standard C&C set up in the first place because I was struck by how many of the ECW battles turned on a bad break - a powder wagon exploded, half the cavalry galloped over a cliff, etc...

      Delete
  6. You know I’ll be watching with interest. Off topic a tad but the cult of personality is way out of control over in France when it comes to Napoleon. To many of my ex neighbours he was practically a saint. I even had a discussion with a local farmer about how Napoleon won at Waterloo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your current neighbours have similar views about various Llewellyns of the past. And what about that Caradog bloke?

      Delete
  7. I haved enjoyed reading Nigel Tranter's books for many years, some are better than others, but I've always known that they were novels - Tranter was no historian. His Montrose books have now been moved to near the top of my 'Read Again' list. By the way, Steeleye Span's 'Montrose' is a fine musical track....as is the song of the same name by the Battlefied Band....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great stories - even as a reference, they are worth checking out, especially for detail stuff, though some of that seems to be based on folklore. One example which puzzles me is the reference to Baillie as being a tiny, fat man, which persists so widely that it may be true(!), though I suspect that Tranter may be one of many who were persuaded by a fine group painting of a Dutch regiment by Van der Helst. Bad news is that the chaps in the painting are all Dutchmen, with names and everything!

      Steeleye Span:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXUMDKYNer8

      Delete
  8. We lived for a year in Bishopbriggs and travelled through Kilsyth quite often to see family in the East. Often thought of the battle as we did so . I look forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With luck, I should get some photos of my own from Kilsyth this week - weather and camera permitting...

      Delete
  9. Like Iain, I have read many of Nigel Tranters books over the years although I do find his somewhat archaic use of language ("that man, nothing loth"...etc) mildly irritating - it seems like a conscious and deliberate literary mechanism, given he was only writing in the 1970s-1990's, not 70 or 100 years ago! Notwithstanding that, his novels are generally enjoyable and give a good "feel" for many periods more or less ignored in popular history. I come from Montrose originally (32 years in NZ now) and since I left, a statue of the Marquis has been erected in the main street. If I am not mistaken, his families town house in Montrose was in use as an unemployment benefit office when I lived there in the 70's and 80's! (I may even have visited occasionally after university at the height of the Thatcher years,,,,but thats another story!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - the books are fine, but the style is a bit wearing sometimes. His lengthy dialogue exchanges are not unlike Walter Scott's - I'm not sure people actually speak like that.

      I am acquainted with some people who knew him. It is not expected that we hear criticism of national treasures, but some of the tales do rather suggest that he took himself hugely seriously. [This is undoubted childish jealousy on my part, since I have never managed to take myself seriously at all...]

      Delete
  10. Thank you Tony. I have exactly the same experience as you with photos of battlefields. I'm a little better 'on the ground', but my estimating of distance is fairly ordinary--no artillery officer me. I am trying to improve it with practise. I try to transpose the section of road from the turn-off to our place, which is 500 m (470 to be precise), which helps a bit. I have not visited many battlefields but got a bit of a sense with two notable locations that I have visited (Waterloo and Quebec), although the modern 'fixtures and fittings', changes and lack of troops don't help. It could also reflect the limited perspective of the soldier on the ground too, d'ya reckon?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon that could be true, though people were probably better at outdoor pursuits like judging distances in the days when they walked everywhere. On real battlefields, the bit which really defeats me is that the little gap between the second and third ridges from here is actually over a mile, and a complete army corps could be in it.

      I am reasonable at estimating how far 100m is, since I was once a sprinter - I'm less good at 200m and upwards, since you had to travel in curves to achieve this. Over a certain distance, walking, I used to rely on how long it took, and work backwards, but I'm walking a bit slower these days, so have to be recalibrated!

      Tricky, anyway.

      Delete