Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Tuesday 9 May 2023

WSS: The Baby Has a Name, and Other Stuff

 Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions for the name of my new (replacement) WSS rules. There was a good variety, ranging from the whimsically amusing to the deeply philosophical. I eventually chose one which initially I had doubts about, because, I had thought, it might be a bit obvious. 


Well, I warmed to it. For a start, it was the most popular suggestion, by far (so it's not all my fault), it is not excessively weird, it refers to the early war period which I am targeting, and I am confident it passes the Hairdresser's Telephone Test.

I'd better explain. It is possible to give something a name which seems magnificently cute and trendy at the beginning, but the novelty wears off quickly and fatally. You will be able to think of your own examples; it can apply to the names of businesses, bands, even babies (I wonder how it feels to be called Moon Unit when you are 55 years old?). My own personal favourite was a hairdresser in (I think) Dumfries, called Curl Up and Dye. Clever, eh? Catchy too. The problem came after a couple of years, when the new receptionist was too embarrassed to answer the phone with the name of the establishment, because it had become Seriously Not Funny. This is the Hairdresser's Telephone Test.

 Enough of this avoiding the moment - the rules will be called "Corporal John" - it took me a while, but I'm comfortable with the choice. Thanks to everyone who got involved.

 

Still on the subject of the WSS, the new rules will require hardly any tactical manoeuvre, therefore I can safely add a magnetic surface to my sabots, so that the soldiers may be securely displayed in line. The other (non-magnetic) side of my sabots will still be available if required.

My friend Clive Smithers, the philosopher's wargamer, reckoned that the beauty of the sabot is that you can drop your soldiers in complete units, rather than fiddling about doing it one figure at a time. I have to say this is less true with magnetic sabots.

I seem to have used up most of my sabot jokes when I painted the first side of these fellows, not so long ago, really, so I can save myself the effort now. They are the same sabots, and the technique is unchanged. I have slapped a first coat of paint on them, leaving an unpainted bit that I was holding. The second coat, which will go on after I have allowed 5 hours for drying, will be applied during the phase which is technically described as "t'other end, and touch-up". With luck, a third pass will not be needed. Here are a couple of pictures after the first coat - you will note the black ferro-sheet patches, cut to size by the lovely Paula at Magnetic Displays, peeking out of the paint. 



In passing, I must explain that the sabots are laid out to dry on pieces of firewood kindling which my wife brought back from Portsoy on the Moray Firth a couple of weeks ago. No particular point to be made - I just felt the need to explain. When the sabots are firm and dry and ready to go, and the kindling is safely back in the log box, I probably have no more reasons to delay, so a game will be required.

A game of Corporal John, in fact.

 

12 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the sabots in use in the first ever game of Corporal John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Corporal John' ? what maniac suggested that?
    May fortune bless her and all who sail in her, of course.

    Sabots are great, for anything except post-WW2 anti-tank units - they have to discard their sabots.. ( I'll get my coat )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the names growing on me. Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all gentlemen - I also have a scheme for using 15mm magnetic loss counters, which should attach nicely to the rear of the ferrosheet area behind the troop stands. This may all crash in flames, of course, but I'm jolly excited thus far. If you don't hear from me for a while, I may be stuck to a whiteboard somewhere. I must remember to avoid keeping the magnetic counters in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good choice of name! Simple, straightforward yet unique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corporal John with his Top Boots on. Hmmm, that rhymes nicely, there's got to be good limerick in there somewhere. Just a shame that he only took Cork and Kinsale and not Limerick itself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very taken by your sabots! May I enquire what colour paint you are using?

    Cheers

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay - it's my standard "Pea Soup" shade that gets used on soldier bases and tabletop:

      Dulux "Crested Moss #1" vinyl emulsion from the Colour Match range - it's an OOP shade, but your local mixing station should be able to produce it - if not, get in touch and I'll send you the mix code. I buy the stuff in 250ml sample tins, and put it into screwtop plastic food jars - otherwise I get problems with the tins rusting!

      Delete
    2. Brilliant, thanks mate. I'll give it a go

      Delete