Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Sunday 2 April 2023

WSS: A Couple of Days of Solo Testing

 


This wasn't a game at all, really. But I had an opportunity to get the toys out and do some more rules testing.

Priorities were:

* Get more experience of bread-and-butter situations, to see how smoothly the systems operate

* Repeat incidents as necessary, including what-ifs and different tactics, to see what works

* Try some fiddly situations - the things which always find out the weaknesses in the rules - thus I had a couple of enclosures and a village in the middle of the field

* I also wanted to do some back-to-back comparison of two different rule sets - trying the same situations with both

And, of course, it's nice to take a few photos, but the pictures only occasionally give a clue to any kind of battle narrative (since there wasn't one, really!), and there are some odd shots of freak dice rolls, just to keep the boys in the labs happy, which is a bit of a niche market!

I'll put a few captions in here and there, just in case you wonder what the blazes you're looking at!

As ever, lots of Les Higgins figures, with some Irregular friends.

 
The river at this end is the edge of the battlefield - just to brighten the place up a bit
 
 
The French start off in possession of a couple of ploughed fields, including some dismounted dragoons. Yes - I believe the fields are cut from some corduroy trousers I grew out of in the 1970s
 
 
Hessians
 

 
More Allies - Austrians, this time
 


 
This might have been Corporal John, but he wouldn't admit it
 
 
This is the brigade of horse on the Allied left, commanded by Cadogan, who has his dog with him, of course. If it isn't Cadogan, he is looking after Cadogan's dog
 


 
The French right flank
 


 
Grands Fromages
 
 
The lads from Toulouse, appropriately unformed in the village
 
 
The British contingent start by trying to capture the farm fields
 
 
One of these rule systems uses a lot of D6s, which serves to remind me that one effect of buckets of dice is a trend towards average results and smallish standard deviation - this looks like a bloodbath, but it tells us that the British (red dice) have edged this combat - no kills either way, and the British inflicted 2 retreats on the French while the French only managed to inflict 1 retreat in response, so the net result is that the French will fall back 1 hex, which gets them out of the field...
 
 
The British have taken the fields - they have also somehow schlepped their battalion guns over the wall
 
 
Austrian I.R. Alt-Salm suffer from long range artillery fire, thanks to very poor saving throws
 

 
Having been driven out of one of the fields, French dragoons mount up, form column, and gallop across the front of the enemy, who are too surprised to do anything about it
 

 
Les Fromages remain unmoved
 



 
British cavalry (Schomberg's Horse?) should have won this scrap, but the dice were unusually decisive on this occasion - that's 3 hits right off the top, so they were eliminated
 


 
Not a lot of storyline here - a period of doing repeat trials of particular situations with the two sets of rules
 
 
Time to test a full frontal infantry attack (with both rule sets)
 
 
Late on, I'm doing a lot of repeats of cavalry attacks on infantry. Educational...


20 comments:

  1. All very lovely…but did you learn anything from it all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.
      * Some things work nicely.
      * Some things don't really work very well.
      * Some things work but they are a pain in the ass - no fun at all.
      * All good - big changes coming...

      Delete
  2. Which rules are you testing and did you abandon the rules from the game in which you and I played?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon - I've been working on my own house rules since November 2019, with occasional distractions as I checked out the alternatives! I believe you and I played through a game of "Twilight of the Sun King" - lots of people use these rules and speak highly of them, but I wasn't taken at all by the vagueness (and complexity) of the movement systems.

      I borrowed a couple of ideas from TotSK (or "Twiglet" as the disciples call it) and moved on! I'll do a post sometime this week on my next steps for the WSS!

      Delete
  3. I'm getting a distinct 'ooh, shiny!' feel from these pictures. Hopefully it'll be gone tomorrow and my credit rating will remain untrashed.

    By the way. You do realise that you'd never have made it in government, don't you. All this trialling of different systems before making a decision. It simply won't do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you may be right. I am currently guilty of testing things forever, and achieving very little which is useful - this is maybe nearer the Civil Service code of practice?

      Delete
  4. Always a joy to see your collection on the table, some seriously lovely pictures on a dreich Monday morning, sets me up nicely for the day!! Good to have a run out to test the rules to fine tune and see what's good and what's not so good. A very enjoyable post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a truly great day, Donnie. Lovely morning here, but freezing cold as yet. I have lawns to cut, so I need the sunshine to hang in there.

      I think I've now decided on my rules direction, so it was time well spent!

      Delete
  5. Some very nice pics of your lovely old style Les Higgins figures - and I had to laugh about the fields, I have thought for twenty years or more that brown corduroy would be perfect for representing ploughed fields!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genuine Old School trousers. In the mid 1970s I used to wear brown cord trousers (M&S), Hush Puppy ankle boots, and an enormous sweater. That was casual attire, of course! I also had a beard, and shoulder-length hair.

      What a gem I was, now I think of it.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful 18th century eye candy, please stop posting you are tempting me to buy a shed load of these figures 😀 .
    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Willz. OK - understood. No more posts.

      Hey - if you know the whereabouts if a shed load of these chaps, please give me a shout!

      Delete
  7. Nice pictures and kudos for actually getting the troops out just to play-test solo, something I've often thought about doing but just can't summon up the discipline to actually see it through.
    Like some of the above comments I would like to hear more about what did/didn't work and why.
    Finally, ignore that 'Willz' chappie and keep on posting... :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. For the last couple of months I've been working on two different sets of WSS rules, which sounds a little daft - I've been building up to decision time, and this testing session has pretty much made my mind up. I'll produce a short post on where I'm at.

      I was just bluffing with Willz...

      Delete
  8. The troops look great Tony - a superb collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian - the table looks quite busy, but I deliberately kept the numbers down. Each army had 10 battalions, 6 regts of horse, 2 batteries, plus staff. A little under 500 figures for both sides in total. It looks like more than that.

      Delete
  9. Well what better way to start the day than look at your wonderful collection. Excellent. I hope the rule testing went well. I always find that it’s not until the first game that something totally unforeseen occurs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham - I've been battering on, developing these rules, through the pandemic, and it's sort of become a closet ritual of its own! I think I now know what I need to do to bring it all out into the daylight - and maybe even inflict it on some actual players!

      That would be nice - I'd sort of forgotten about that possibility! Getting there.

      Delete
  10. The troops do look rather nice Tony. Sounds like you're having fun testing the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray - my wife was away in Aberdeenshire for the week, so I took the opportunity to spread out, and take my time over re-runs!

      Delete