Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 5 April 2023

WSS: Some Notes on Rules Development, Including the Parable of Jim's Crib-Sheet

Jim's Crib-Sheet

Let's start with the digression; get it over with.

Years ago, when I was gainfully employed, I worked with a very nice man named Jim.

He was an unusually intelligent fellow, perceptive, with an analytical spark verging on genius, and he was a brilliant technical writer - really exceptional. When he joined my team, I was puzzled to receive messages of sympathy from some of my colleagues.


One of his previous team-leaders told me:

"If I were to ask Jim to produce a report by lunchtime, describing exactly what was in the 3rd room on the left, down the corridor, I would have to supervise him constantly; left to himself, by the 4th day of his investigation he would have details of what was in the first 2 rooms, but would not have reached the 3rd room yet."

There were other tales along similar lines. The general impression was not that Jim was unfocused - his focus was excellent - there was a bright spotlight shining at all times, but it tended to shine on whatever he found interesting at that instant rather than what he had been asked to do. After some initial problems with him, pretty much as described, I agreed a new procedure with him, on the understanding that it would be our operational secret.

We agreed that Jim should write a short description of any new piece of work. It should set out the scope, whom he would report to, by when, and an outline of what his report would say. He would agree this with me before he started, and the "crib-sheet", as we called it, would never be longer than half a page of notepaper. This last bit was important.

Once the study work started, Jim would check his crib-sheet every morning (we eventually reduced this to every Friday morning), and, if at any point he no longer thought that the sheet described what he was doing, or thought he should be doing, he should immediately come to talk to me.

Maybe I was lucky, but this system worked well. It meant that I could rely on Jim always being busy doing something that was at least a bit like what I'd asked him for. 

End of digression. If I remember, I may refer back to this later on. That was the intention...

WSS - Rules Development

I'm sure I've rambled on about this quite often in the past, and I'm certain that there have been a couple of email conversations on the topic over the last couple of months, so if you've been through all this before, please just nod and pass on. 

Rules: To set a context here, a surprising amount of bookshelf space in my house is taken up by sets of wargames rules, hardly any of which I use on a regular basis. Most of them are commercially successful sets, loved and enjoyed by their adherents. I have read them all at some point. There is nothing necessarily wrong with any of these sets - it's just that they don't suit me. Something in the systems, or the game-scale, or (very frequently, as I get older) they are too laborious in action. Some of these games were written by me - I don't care for most of them, either. Similar reasons.

In each case, the arrival of new rules has invariably been an occasion for some excitement, if briefly...

WSS: I've always had a hankering to "do" 18th Century wargames. This is complicated to pin down - some or all of the following are contributors:

* Years of gazing at the blurry photos in Charles Grant, Peter Young. Somehow, little men in three-cornered hats are "proper" toy soldiers.
* The history of the period is pleasingly complicated, and all those little German principalities and electorates are very attractive. Given a few unauthorised alliances, there is also vast scope for fictitious campaigns.
* In late 2019, I was fortunate enough to get an opportunity to purchase a chunk of an existing collection, enough to get a serious WSS project off to a flying start. That turned on a lot of lights.
* The WSS somehow seems a remarkably simplified form of Horse & Musket warfare; the pikes are gone, there is no sign yet of light infantry, skirmishers, rifles, squares, horse artillery, columns of attack and most of the other things which regularly cause problems in wargames.
* Given the style and appearance of Higgins 20mm figures, this was a perfect opportunity for me to assemble armies of shiny, surrealist toy soldiers fighting a simple, logical game - I'd never adopted this kind of approach before.
* I also had my heart set on using a gridded battlefield.

So far, all good. It seems inappropriate to find any upside of lockdown, but it certainly provided opportunities to develop my armies, and, having obtained and read over the best-selling rule sets available, along with Chandler and Nosworthy and a few eye-witnesses, I also decided I would have a go at developing my own game. Apart from anything else, I would certainly learn a lot in the process.

Despite my early aim to make a classically simple game, I was prevailed upon by a number of sources to be sure to give due weight to the difficulty involved in manoeuvring the unwieldy forces of the day, and so a layer of tactical ducking and weaving was added to the shopping list.

Thus Prinz Eugen has been staggering along for 3 years now - it's general progress has consisted mostly of adding in fabulously clever ideas, to enrich the game, and then excising them because they slowed things down and caused frustration (or just didn't work...). I've been deeply grateful for the contributions of a couple of visiting generals, who helped me with testing and made very useful suggestions, and some very kind correspondents, but I still haven't had an opportunity to invite friends for a serious game. I've also had niggling concerns about some aspects - too complicated in places, major overheads to add small amounts of extra authenticity.

So for the last 2 months I've been continuing to cut yet more fat out of Eugen, but in parallel I've also been developing a sneaky Plan B. Last weekend I had the chance to do a direct comparison of how the two shape up. I am here to tell you that I'm pretty sure that Plan B is better.


The new interloper is a cut-down version of Tricorne, Richard Borg's boardgame for the AWI. Let's be honest here - yes, it is Commands & Colors, no less. It involves some new systems but the basic game is largely familiar.

To convert it for use in the WSS, I need to reduce the effective range of muskets, and remove all mention of rifles, light troops, highlanders and so on. The revised dice (and the heightened importance of morale which depends on these dice) work well; the Command Cards and Combat Cards need some tweaking to cater with the different theatre and the 60-year time shift, but all that is manageable.

My prototype game, then, is sort of Tricorne, but I've done a lot of re-typing of rules - at present, it is referred to here as Working Title. There are still some ideas I need to finalise, and when things are more settled I guess I'll design and print my own revised cards, but, whatever else I still have to do, I have a working beta-test game already, it works nicely, and playing it at the weekend felt like getting back into a warm bath on a cold day. Prinz Eugen has been a long-running saga, which at times has taken on a life of its own, and I can confidently say that it now works, though it might be a tricky thing to learn, and it has no capability at all for Zoom, but in my back-to-back comparison with the C&C derivative, for enjoyment, it was, to coin a phrase, knocked into a cocked hat.

I guess PE will now take its place on the bookshelf, not far from Under the Lily Banners, Twilight of the Thing They Thought of Next, Stuart Asquith's rules, and all the others. No regrets, Coyote, I've learned a lot on the free, freeway.

If I'd just set up one of Jim's crib-sheets around Xmas 2019, I'd have put a lot of stress on fast play, keeping the game as simple as possible, and cutting out unnecessary cleverness. And I'd have checked that I was on track, every week. I might even have decided, early on, to hack a WSS game out of Commands & Colors, which is what I had done with some success for the ECW. However, I'd forgotten all about Jim, and the things I used to do. Too clever for that stuff now.

 

16 comments:

  1. "Knocked into a cocked hat". Very good!
    I guess sometimes you need to have something complicated to appreciate the cleverness of the apparently simple. I thought the early version of PE was workable when I gave it a run through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris - it was a wholehearted effort, I have to say; the latest version does hang together, but in the end is not hugely entertaining, at least for me. The advantage of the C&C alternative, for a bear of limited attention span, is that all that shuffling between line and column and so on becomes an abstracted issue for the regimental officers, and the C-in-C can get on with the battle!

      Delete
  2. I was going to suggest "cocked hat" as the name for "working title" (as the correct C18th name for the hat) but perhaps "Powdered Wig" or "Perriwig" would be a better title......or you could go for "Jenkin's Ear"? ☺
    Good luck in your endeavours.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Jenkins Ear" has a nice topical resonance, since I rather enjoyed Sir Bernard's efforts the other week!

      I have an attitude problem with names for Wargames Rules. I am so heartily fed up with "The Glory of Eagles" and similar that I have a tendency to call my own rules "The Emperor's Haemorrhoids" or something.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyable thought download (I considered using ‘dump’ but that term may not have translated well). Anyway, good to see you making positive strides on PE but don’t rule out remote options just yet. Where there is will there is a way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon - thanks for this; I think "dump" was close to the mark!

      Delete
  4. Awesome, hope to see periwig or Jenkins ear up and running very soon then. If it turns out as entertaining and fun to play as the ECW variant you created you’ll have converted someone else to the SYW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've identified the changes I want to make to Tricorne, and have done most of it - I still have to sort out the cards, I have to introduce dragoons (i.e. the sort that get on and off their horses), I have to do something to allow for battalion guns (easy, I think - I can lift most of that from Prinz Eugen). I'd like to have some subtle stuff in there about "À Prest" vs "Platoon Firing", but I'm pretty sure that's the sort of thing to work into the Combat Cards.

      Delete
  5. Good to see you have found something approaching your desired rule set. Don't apologise for finding silver linings to the Covid cloud - I identified several - it's an ill wind and all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did an awful lot of research so that I eventually had a very informed view on why I didn't really care for the rules I was writing. That's OK - I know what I need to do next, I think.

      For no obvious reason, I am reminded of the tale of young James Watt, who one morning got so fascinated watching the kettle boiling that he missed his train.

      Delete
  6. Im glad I'm not alone in struggling with rules for WSS! There is a real danger they end up too Napoleonic. C & C is always a good fallback, and there are options to replace the cards with mechanisms more suitable for remote play (dice ramekin etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed about remote play - I recently played a C&C game via Zoom where each side had their own packs of cards and dice, and it worked far better than I had expected!

      For some reason, the C&C user site doesn't say all that much about Tricorne, especially the extensions. This may be because the publisher is Compass Games, not GMT. One observation I might make about Compass is that they should get some better staff for writing and proofing the rule booklets - Tricorne is pretty rough in that department. I'm used to very crisp standards from GMT over the years.

      Delete
  7. To my mind it is the tactical ducking and weaving that needs cutting out of WSS games. When I think of Marlborough's battles (WSS is not my period so I am speaking from the lofty heights of ignorance here) I see a fixed plan that was followed and delivered a win - the enemy not being able respond to the final phase. The plans seem to be no more than an apportionment of weight of effort (numbers, types and quality of troops) at various times (the timing might await a 'go/no-go' decision but the what seems fixed). The plan could include some element of deception, IIRC at Ramillies colour parties were sent from units to give the impression of more troops being committed (feel free to LOL if I've dreamt that up).
    In essence the game would probably be more a cross between the Punic War battles on this blog (https://gridbasedwargaming.blogspot.com/search/label/Ancients) and the games I fought in Stryker's campaigns where a plan (scheme of manoeuvre if you prefer) was written by both sides and played out solo by Stryker religiously following the plan no matter what. I immensely enjoyed the latter as IMO coming with an unexpected stroke but having the enemy immediately respond in the classic IGO-UGO moving units as desired is pretty frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Rob - The ducking and weaving is very heavy; I spent some time inventing procedures to give accurate delays for different formation changes, and it added very little to the game apart from fatigue. One thing that can save the self-cancelling aspects of IGO-UGO, I think, is if the initiative rolls can potentially reverse the order of play on any turn.

      Delete
  8. Writing a set of 'accurate ' rules can be frustrating, I know from experience the work often takes the add items and then chop them off routine. Congratulations on making your trip to the table top to test and modify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I have seen a lot over the years is some period check (e.g. weather, chance event dice roll) which is supposed to take place every turn, but since it rarely, if ever, produces a result, it just gets forgotten about in the general workload, and the weather (or whatever) carries on undisturbed, despite what the rules author specified!

      Delete