Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Thursday 4 November 2021

WSS: More Brits - The Earl of Orkney's Foot

 Another new unit ready for the Duty Boxes. This one very nicely painted for me by Count Goya, the famous international polymath and part-time owner of warships. This regiment contains a number of pre-owned figures which needed an amount of refurbishment, while the command and the grenadiers are all unused castings which required painting from scratch.

Normally I regard refurb work as the dirty end of my wargame projects, so I do it myself, but Goya is a top-class refurbisher in his own right, and he has done a lovely job here.



These chaps, then, are the Earl of Orkney's Foot, ready for service in 1703-4. As is customary with the British army at this time, one of the problems is who they are and what we might call them. This lot could also be the Royal Regiment, or (informally) they might be referred to as the Royal Scots, but definitely not the 1st Foot until nearly 50 years later (though it probably helps to identify which regiment we are talking about).

So why (I hear you asking, as I did myself) does a Royal regiment not wear dark blue facings, in proper Royal style? It seems that Royal regiments only had blue facings at this time if they were part of the English establishment, and in 1703 these fellows were definitely Scottish, so blue facings were not a consideration until after the Act of Union in 1707.

That's quite enough about that. 

The weather was better today, though we did go through a brief charade here during which the sun went behind a cloud each time I emerged from my front door. That's not a problem - I simply sighed patiently, and waited for it to come out again. You have to demonstrate that you are not distressed, and the weather gets bored quickly.

Figures, as ever, are Les Higgins 20mm, and the mounted officer (though not his horse) is from Irregular.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. My compliments to the Count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon - I'll get word to him - he'll either be wingsuit flying in the Andes or else sweeping up leaves.

      Delete
  2. Great work from the brush of the great man! Surely it's time for a parade of the British army?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get some kind of parade organised, but there's always a temptation to hold on for another couple of units...

      You know how it is.

      Delete
  3. Very nice indeed Tony…
    White faced units are very attractive…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - I guess they are just a bit scared.

      Delete
  4. They are rather lovely. Higgins made beautiful figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been a devoted fan for years - another approach might have been easier, but hey.

      Delete
  5. Lovely figures, though I suspect the joists in your house may soon need reinforcing. Slightly disappointed to learn that the post was not about the poor Earls podiatry issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Earl's feet were famous throughout the army. Bone spurs? Did they have those then?

      Delete
  6. I wish you wouldn’t keep posting these pictures Tony. I’m trying to not get sucked into another tricorn-wearing period. By which I don’t mean me having another fashion faux pas with a cocked hat. Not that I ever had a first one either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Current push is to get the British to a "Phase 1" stage where I can get started on the French, so I hope this is going to get busier over the Winter! These donations of expert assistance are a fantastic help.

      I think you gave up too early on your tricorne-wearing period. I understand that it must have had difficult side issues, but it had great promise.

      Delete
  7. Another very nice unit, the British are coming together at quite a rate now Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting there! Pleased to be making progress again, Lee - quite a relief after a few months dithering about!

      Delete
  8. Lovely unit; as are those below. The Les Higgins look to be fine looking figures and also perfect for the period in terms of poses, proportions and all round 'goodness of fit'.
    Mungo like.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James - yes, I always loved the Higgins figures - they are like elegant little men, I guess, which is not very common by modern metal miniature standards, though they are often criticised these days for being too static in posture. Les worked as a sculptor for Mettoy before he started on wargames figures, and he also did a lot of pewter work for trophies etc, which probably makes sense. I have a couple of links connected with Les's "monumental" work, which I'll maybe knock up into a small post...

      Thanks for commenting - keep well!

      Delete