Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Saturday 6 November 2021

Les Higgins - Some Background Trivia [independent verification needed...?]

 I have been collecting, painting and fighting with the little products of Les Higgins Miniatures for about 50 years. I am still a devout fan, although they do bring some frustrations to the serious collector and they are regarded as something of a niche, off-mainstream manufacturer now.

 
The ensign from set MP19, officers and NCOs for the Malburian period. They have an unsurpassed elegance, I think, but they are small for 20mm - these chaps are 1/76, which means they don't fit with plastics!

There is, as always, a nice little biography at Vintage20Mil, and I had some useful discussions with Clive Smithers about LHM and the successor firm, Phoenix Model Developments. I was aware that Les was primarily a sculptor, and part of his background was in the design and casting of pewter figures for use on sporting trophies and so on, though my knowledge is very sketchy and I had never seen examples.

A while ago, a friend sent me a link which I have now (at long last) got around to checking out. It seems that Les was also a keen archer, a member of the Northampton club. In 1957, around the time when he was producing his first "subscription series" drop-cast ECW 20mm figures, he was commissioned by the Countess Manvers* to make a 2-foot tall statue of Robin Hood, as an archery prize to be known as the Thoresby Trophy, competed for each year in the grounds of Thoresby Hall, Nottinghamshire, as an attraction to raise the profile of the estate at Thoresby Park.

 
The Thoresby Trophy for archery, sculpted by Les Higgins, and first competed for in 1958

My primary source here is a memoir about a gentleman named Peter Bond, which you may find here, in the annals of Northampton Archery Club. Apart from the pictures, the narrative mentions that Les and his wife, Pat, had a son, Gary, who also became a noted sculptor.

 
The Chairman's Trophy, also the property of Northampton Archery Club, which was sculpted by Les Higgins' son, Gary, who was a keen archer and member of the club

I publish this post with familiar caveats - I have no permission to use the club's material, so if any objection is raised I may pull this at short notice(!). Also, of course, my understanding of this may be complete bunkum, based around the coincidence of there being two sculptors from Northampton with the same name in the 1950s - I doubt it, but it's possible!


* The Countess Manvers (Marie-Louise Roosevelt Pierrepont, née Butterworth, 1889-1984) is quite an interesting character - she studied art extensively and had something of a reputation as an amateur  watercolourist. She moved to Thoresby in 1939. 

 
Countess Manvers at work in London in 1962


12 comments:

  1. Phoenix Mdel Developments are still around though have gone back their doll's house roots.
    https://www.phoenixmodeldevelopments.com/acatalog/new.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the doll's house stuff is still going strong - not sure how they got there, but I see the company is now based in the Republic of Ireland. I was recently in contact with the son of Brian Marlow, who was a partner in LHM and took over as head of PMD after Les died. Brian's son now runs a sound-equipment business out of the old "shoe factory" building in Earls Barton.

      Delete
  2. Les Higgins certainly had a very elegant style… which really suits The War of Spanish Succession.
    He is definitely from the same school as John Niblett…

    I have heard a number of descriptions of how he worked over the year…
    The masters were sculpted in wax then cast in tin or pewter… the masters were carved out of solder then cast in tin or pewter or more likely in my opinion a combination of both…
    Charles Hall who used to have a little toy soldier shop on the West Port near the Grassmarket in Edinburgh commissioned John Niblett to make figures for him and I remember him telling me that John Niblett used to make some of his bigger masters from Plasticine … I suspect that this was actually the more industrial level material called Chavant Clay which is still available today.
    So no Green Stuff or CAD for these chaps… mind you as jobbing designers they would probably have jumped at the chance of using such things…
    Okay… enough of my ramblings…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly - I'd like to know more about Niblett's work - I've seen photos of a few examples of his ECW work, but nothing in the flesh, so to speak. There was a toy soldier shop in the West Port? - never knew of it.

      Because of their background of designing figurines for trophies, LHM were unusual in their day because the castings were done in pewter. They also suffered commercially in that their insistance on sticking to scale (no overscale bayonets or swords) made them much more fragile than (e.g.) S-Range Minifigs. When he learned that I collected Higgins Napoleonics, Clive Smithers joked that my photos were the first examples he had seen of LH figures complete with bayonets!

      Delete
  3. I haven't attempted any Higgins's yet, but your lovely regiments and very informative and entertaining posts about them are making me long to have a crack at them. Thank you Tony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WM - my little soldiers are my friends - I think about them a lot...

      Delete
  4. Of all the "old school" figures, I can actually see the attraction of Les Higgin - I had a random selection of them picked up at some model shop when I was 12 or 13 perhaps - a few ECW, two Polish lancers, two cuirassiers and a few French Napoleonic foot - they fitted in not too badly with my Airfix French - my first ever wargaming army. I believe I even had one or two of the WSS figures - like I say, I think they were a random pile of bits and pieces that the guy selling them said £You can have the lot for a quid" or something similar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rare for old job lots of LHM products to be much more than wrecks, because they were too finely made to stand up to proper wargaming stress! My entire approach to miniature gaming - with sabots and minimal handling, no casualty removal etc - is very largely influenced by fear of collateral damage during a lifetime of repairing Higgins castings!

      Delete
  5. Interesting and informative post Tony for those of us who admire the Les Higgins style, I must have painted hundreds of the Marlburians for Old John over the last ten years. I also followed the link to the Vintage 20mm article on the company history. The detail on that standard bearer figure is a wonderful example of the LH sculpting style, when you pull it up on a phone you can see the finest of detail in the face and hands, the folds on the cloth etc. I believe that the masters and moulds are now in the possession of John? Enjoyed that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee - yes, John has the moulds and the rights for the ECW and Malburian ranges - not sure about the ancients and the colonials. After Les's death, when the masters had to be re-done to show the new PMD logo on the bases, some of the figures were improved a bit by Tim Richards - always tastefully and appropriately done.

      Delete
  6. Marvelous figures.

    Of course it's pictures like these that make me feel good about my decision about 15 years ago to give up my delusions of sculpting, casting and selling my own range of miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the logic, but the world must have been a poorer place for us enthusiasts as a result!

      Delete