Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 17 June 2019

Hooptedoodle #336 - Did I Jump Too Soon?


I've managed to steer clear of the Tory Leadership circus in the last few weeks, and I must say I feel a lot better for it. I reasoned that the party members are sufficiently self-obsessed to be able to carry on without my paying attention, which is a relief. Since my announcement that I would not be putting myself forward (see my Fake News Hooptedoodle from last month, if you can be bothered), I have had occasional requests to reconsider.

I confess that there have been moments when I was tempted - occasionally I would see one of the hopefuls in action, and find myself thinking, "you know, I could do that...", but commonsense has triumphed, I believe, and I am happy not to be involved. In any case, I'm trying to keep myself free in case I get offered the manager's job at Chelsea FC, which will probably have a more secure future than that of UK Prime Minister. The big problem for me is this Brexit thingy - I haven't the faintest idea what they are on about. We all have to accept our own limits, I think, and, though I have been waiting patiently for the Daily Mail to finally come to my aid, and explain clearly how this No-Deal business is all going to work (since they obviously understand it), I'm still none the wiser. Best to stay out of it, then - my Preston grannie would have had something pithy to say on the subject, you bet. 

I understand that the first of the televised debates for the real leadership candidates [real? - discuss] took place yesterday, and Mr B Johnson did not appear - his chair and lectern remained empty throughout. I didn't watch the thing, naturally, and I am reluctant to admit it, but I'm quite impressed by that. Not only did he set himself up to be the only candidate who did not disgrace himself last night by speaking drivel on live TV, but it seems he actually increased his share of the opinion poll by not turning up. Brilliant. Fleetingly, it occurs to me that I, too, could have failed to show up, but I'm sure I couldn't have done it so charismatically or impressively.


This is not a new concept - fairly recently, the United States elected a president who was not a politician, for example, so the idea of a null candidate has been around for a while. I recall that many years ago someone wrote a song in support of a US presidential nominee named Nobody - on the grounds that this was exactly the person who would govern with integrity, who would care for the poor and the sick, who would ensure that the legal system and taxation were fair for all, etc. I had a look, but couldn't find the old one (1970s? - yes - we've had buffoons around for as long as that). I did find this clip, however, which would be better if it hadn't been so childishly produced, but it makes the point. Clearly we have to have someone running things, but would a vacuum be better than an idiot? Worth thinking about. Does an empty chair have real advantages over Boris? Hmmm.



I'm bored with this now. I'm still not going to watch the next live debate, but am intrigued to see if this cunning ploy catches on, and no-one turns up to it at all - trying to out-absent each other. Keep your cards hidden. Say nowt. That would be something.

Better still, perhaps they could all just shut up and leave us in peace. I am sick to death of hypocrisy, flagrant dishonesty and self-promotion. Some clown tried to sue Mr Johnson recently for telling lies while serving in a public office. Imagine a politician telling lies - good heavens. That's not even funny.


How long can this confounded farce rattle on? No - it's OK - I don't really want to know.

27 comments:

  1. Think he was wise to keep his trap shut as only drivel seems to emerge .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - but what's the point of my refusing to watch him on TV if he doesn't show up? Confusing.

      Delete
  2. Somehow I am reminded of 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'...

    'Well I didn't vote for ya...'
    'You don't vote for Kings!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monty Python made some sense, at least.

      Delete
  3. Tony, this is a subject that's bound to wind me up to boiling point! Do you know what really gets me? The fact that ultimately 160.000 Tory Party members get to decide who our next Prime Minister will be, it's completely undemocratic and bol**ks. The Whips were even talking about forcing the other contenders to withdraw this week to avoid more 'blue on blue' (more boll**ky speak!) bloodletting. So thats really democratic eh, a members ballot with only only name on the paper....Johnson. He's really not a nice person, very funny back on Have I Got News for You, bumbling away, but have you read what Max Hastings- his former employer - had to say about Boris? Good luck with the Chelsea job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little sanity is observable in (for example) the removal of the possibility of Ms McVey becoming PM - at least for a while, but the rest of it is bizarre. I suspect that the optimal position is on the shoulder of the leader (just like the last bend of the 1500m) - the winner of the current party leadership contest is going to walk into the biggest firestorm any PM has seen for years - I believe that it will just be an angrier version of the Mrs May fiasco. Once everybody has paused for breath and Elastoplast, that's the time when the smart players will emerge from the shadows - Mr Gove? (did I say that out loud?)

      It's sweet that St Theresa has bowed out in a haze of virtue - she has now committed some future, penniless government to fail to live up to her high standards. She should pass a law to the effect that the UK will have zero emissions by 2050. That should ensure that it happens (have I heard this theory before?), and if it doesn't she will certainly come back from somewhere to demand to know why.

      If public figures are going to strike postures and tell fibs, do they also have to insult our intelligence by making it really pathetically obvious?

      Delete
  4. Probably just as well I never got around to looking up my grandfathers' birth certificates so I could apply for a British passport or a Scottish one if that becomes a thing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross - I hold in my head an old black and white film I saw at primary school, of combine harvesters working on the vast Canadian wheatfields. I think we may be looking for food parcels from the far-flung corners of our glorious Empire some time soon! Please don't forget us - or at least try to remember us kindly!

      Delete
  5. We really and truly live in bizarre times.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I am not sure what happens to democracy when no-one believes in the system of government any more. Well, in fact I do have some clues - you get TV personalities elected as a sort of weird protest - stuff like that. It amazes me that much of the talk of democracy and the "will of the people" in the British parliament of late has come from people who seem to have a very alternative grasp on what that might mean.

      Delete
  6. As I understand it, in the UK, you can Recall MP's if you can demonstrate their having provided false or misleading expenses claims. How hard could that be for a number sufficient to force an election? I'm assuming of course that Parliament requires some sort of quorum, perhaps there is flaw I my plan.

    Thoughts and prayers...

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to add:

      Thoughts and prayers...

      aren't quite enough.

      Delete
    2. Jim - I don't know much about the Recall Act - I think MPs in serious bother normally resign or something - there have been cases. A 12 month custoodial sentence and they are automatically out, less than 12 months they can be Recalled by petition (only needs 10% of their electors, I think). There are 3 recorded instances of Recall (probably on the same Wikipedia entry you read!) including one serious expenses fiddle. I recall an MP fairly recently who lied about who was driving their car, to avoid a motoring conviction - maybe they resigned - can't remember. It's a bit like impeachment, I think - you know it when you see it.

      Delete
  7. I can't even comment on the post, I'll get too angry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Ray - I promise this is my last word on this lot!

      Delete
  8. Whatever happens the sun will rise the next day...I should be more animated I suppose but I simply switched off to this rubbish years ago.
    Have to agree that its now more Monty Python than democracy however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right - we have to get on with it and not get overburdened, but I have really struggled with depression over the whole Brexit period. Coping with an unavoidable war or a natural disaster somehow seems more hopeful than trying to survive the voluntary machinations of people with a vested interest in a self-inflicted event. I shall lighten up, Matt - you have shown me the way.

      Delete
    2. Both in national and global terms I find it hard not to be profoundly pessimistic about the future. I suppose we have had periods in the past where events have been shaped by stupid or deranged people making insane decisions, but it just feels now that we are running out of wriggle-room - with the existential challenges facing our society and our civilisation we no longer have the luxury of having deluded narcissists running the show even for a short time. I feel we could be seeing the final triumph of Stupid. Sorry to be a downer :-(

      Delete
    3. Dave - it does feel like that. The Tory Leadership Britain's Got Talent show shouldn't be a show-stopper - in the long run, you would think it would just be a brief side-show (Boris who?), but it just feels like yet more of the same old crap, and that constant push has taken a lot of the sunshine out of life for a lot of us.

      Delete
  9. It's midnight here in Spain, I have taken some some local wine and I am somewhat calmer now. But still this so called leadership contest continues to vex me. Brexit also continues to bother me because crashing out with no deal will have a major impact upon the legal status of us expats who have not yet acquired Residencia, health, private pensions, taxes etc. But that's what I see coming. I have been a Labour Party member since I was 22 years old, minus a spell when Gordon Brown was at the helm when for the first and only time in my life I voted Lib Dem. I can only hope Tony that if, (when) Johnson becomes PM that it is such a Baptism of fire that the man burns in Political Hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that he is just a different dimension of a fall guy - there are more sinister people behind him.

      Delete
  10. Don’t worry, be happy. Life’s too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your style - all the best with that, then.

      Delete
  11. You should stand Tony. You have all the qualifications: led both sides of a divided nation; built British led international coalitions.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your support, but I can't even get my little painted soldiers to do what I tell them.

      Delete
  12. Far be it from any American to sneer at politics in the UK nowadays. It is a pity (for us, at least), that you lot couldn't have detained the POTUS for, say 18 months or so. Something about unpaid debts incurred by the Colonies during the French and Indian War, I hear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so - I fear it would have been a trumped-up pretext, though. Oops. Also we couldn't afford to feed him.

      Delete