Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Friday 8 April 2022

WSS: A General Smarten-Up (you can't get the staff, you know)

 Last night I did some more work on tidying up my small pool of WSS General Officers, so that I can manage to put on a decent-sized game when required,

These fellows come from various backgrounds - some were specially painted, others are survivors from other people's collections which I bought in, already painted.

Most of them, in fact, were odd officers liberated from Eric Knowles' armies - often Les Higgins generals who were serving as regimental colonels in the cavalry. Some of the charging officers are actually from Higgins's ECW range, but can happily carry on in service - what is 60 years among so many?

 
The coloured mini-dice are also useful for identifying which army a figure belongs to - in many cases, these fellows are up for grabs, and can (and will) serve for anyone who needs them. Paint quality ranges from beautifully professional to, well, pretty industrial. Some of these chaps have obvious affiliations - the guy in the yellow coat, back left, usually defaults to the role of Maffei, because that was the regiment he was liberated from...

I am hoping for a fresh supply of new generals within a few weeks - these chaps will not have cuirasses - my French and British commanders are not allowed cuirasses! In the meantime I spent a little time smartening the bases, touching-up damaged paintwork and so on.

This current collection of leaders is quite an odd bunch, really - few of the uniforms stand up to expert examination - in some ways they feel a bit like the "personality" leaders in Charge and The War Game. I am relying heavily on that well-worn phrase, the senior officers tended to wear what they liked - often civilian garments.

Good enough for me.

21 comments:

  1. They look perfectly presentable to me and your attitude to officers attire is completely reasonable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir - I was reading a bio of Eugene of Savoy, recently, and he seems to have worn some very strange things - especially at weekends.

      Delete
  2. Seems fair to me. I'm pretty sure that the link between what generals were painted wearing in their portraits and what they actually wore on the battlefield was tenuous at best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My old mate Allan Gallacher had a theory that by 1700 there was just one complete suit of blackened armour left in existence, and the owner made a fortune renting it out to famous generals for portrait sittings.

      Delete
  3. They look a useful group. Part of the cosmopolitan, European elite who moved from army to army, serving different princes. I don’t think uniform standards for general officers came in until later in the century.

    Talking of Princes, the Falkner Eugene book arrived today. Might make a start on it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - Eugen - a man of unfathomable nationality - noted somewhere as "wearing a plain brown coat".

      I am interested to read that your copy of Falkner's book has arrived - mine is pre-ordered, and is supposed to appear at the end of the month. Nice one!

      Delete
  4. Well they all look fine to me. I do like the chap with the yellow coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray - the chap with the yellow coat (in his default role) is one of the numerous Italians who dominated the Bavarian nobility and military over the centuries - I was never sure quite why this came about, but it interests me.

      Delete
  5. Very nice Tony…
    I wonder what the collective term for generals is…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "A Cluster Of Generals" sounds right Aly, fir some reason......😂

      Delete
    2. I originally thought I liked a Bunch of Generals, or maybe a Swagger, but Cluster is very good. I did also consider a Confusion, or a Rear.

      Delete
  6. Nothing beats a motley crew! A nice collection there and yes the more you read about senior officers on campaign they more convinced I become to painting them however I please. As with many other things in life conformity doesn’t seem to apply to Generals, nobility or the wealthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true - I was discussing this very subject back at Christmas, during lockdown, at a "working lunch" booze-up with the Duke of Hamilton and Roman Abramovich and a couple of dozen of their crowd. [I don't see much of them now - they are just name-droppers]

      Delete
  7. A nice collection of vintage Generals there Tony. I'm looking forward to seeing the new addition too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure when this will happen, but my hopes are up! He may be stuck in a lorry queue at Dover.

      Delete
  8. A decent cast of characters, in an age where the Generals as well as the troops could be bartered (such as the famous "Porcelain" Dragoons!) or change employers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter - I wasn't familiar with the Porcelain Dragoons, but checked out the story. The line-up of which of the German principalities was on each side in the WSS is complicated too!

      Delete
    2. I'm surprised you hadn't heard of the incident, but glad you got a chance to be enlightened! :-)

      Delete
    3. The story is a bit outside my normal timeline. My study of 18th Century military matters (apart from an inexpert interest in the 1745 Jacobite rising) has really been focused on the WSS, which was new to me, and has really only been in the last two and a bit years. I regularly find that correspondents assume that I meant to get involved in the SYW, and the WSS was a mistake!

      Delete
  9. Very nice - also a test comment to see if my Google account is now working....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. My own experience with Google has improved recently since I replaced my computer, and am running a more up-to-date version of Firefox. Hmmm. Still a number of things puzzling me, but any change must be welcome!

      Delete