Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Sunday 7 February 2021

WSS: Beutelbach Playtest (via Zoom)

 
Ready for the off - counters and markers and cotton-wool smoke. Even some Lucozade.

 As planned, the playtest game went ahead on Friday - 10am kick-off.

Stryker and Goya arrived promptly (and remotely), and after some fiddling about with camera settings we got started. The revision to my WSS rules this time had been quite a large one, following on from what had been a pleasingly successful playtest back in December (or whenever it was), so we had quite a few new bits to assimilate. I, as umpire, had no choice to make a good fist of this, since the umpire is the guy who has to understand everything - especially if he is also the author. Nowhere to hide. Bright lights.

Let me say, straight away, that it was a very pleasant day - certainly I enjoyed the interaction and the company and all that - and we achieved a great deal on the rules workout. Overall, I am pleased, but am rather concerned that I presented my guests with a rather lengthier and more arduous experience than they might have been expecting! I can only praise their courage and good humour, and thank them once again!

Playtesting your own rules reminds me a little of the old home-brewed beer days (anyone remember them?) - the whole thing is driven by enthusiasm and good intentions, but it is also very easy to inflict on one's friends something which tastes ghastly and gives them terrible headaches, which is not a kind thing to do to anyone. I hasten to assure my gentle reader that our session was not so awful as this might suggest, but some of the things I learned about my new rule changes will require a day or two to digest. As is always the case, a lot of the problems unearthed are merely a question of tweaking the numbers to get a better balance, but I definitely got a few things wrong. Humility is required.

For a start, we had rather the rough end of circumstances - I had about 2 hours sleep the night before, because we had howling Easterlies rattling the slates here at Chateau Foy, with horizontal rain and sleet on the roof-windows, and at about 2:30am I had to get up to shut the gate, to prevent our garden chairs from rolling into the lane. So there was a lot of caffeine in my bloodstream by around 10am.

Next - Zoom. It is less than a year since I had no experience of remote gaming at all, and of course we have to be grateful for what is possible. Games via Zoom are a poor substitute for a proper face-to-face game, but they are a hell of a lot better than nothing at all, so it would be stupid to complain. On the other hand...

Well, on the other hand, I am one of that often-forgotten fringe of UK residents who do not live in a city. Our broadband arrives by radio transmission, believe it or not, and it is astonishingly good, considering, but in absolute terms it is a bit marginal for streaming two cameras simultaneously, especially when my locked-down neighbours are confined to barracks, and seem to spend their days home-schooling (via Google Classroom and similar) or just watching Netflix. The radio bit means that we are relying on line-of-sight contact (a familiar wargaming concept?) with a mast on a hill about 8 miles away, which also means that really wet weather can affect things adversely. [It also means that one of my neighbours can't understand why the broadband works at night, when he cannot see the hill where the transmitter is located - but this is quite another story...]

One way or another, our broadband is slow enough to make Zoom default to what it considers a manageable picture quality, which is not very exciting. Well, John Logie Baird might have been excited, but these days we expect high definition at all times, and don't you forget it. This means that, though I get to see the toy soldiers close up in the real world, my guest attendees have a real fog-of-war problem trying to see what's what, they get a very poor visual presentation and involvement level (they don't even get to roll their own dice!) and, of course, they also have to put up with hours of me charging about, talking too much and pointing at things. You may be getting a glimpse of why I was so grateful for their stamina on Friday! Zoom also kept hanging up on us - we had maybe 10 or a dozen instances when a broadband blip froze everything; I am getting surprisingly handy at recovering hangs, though on one occasion we lost the Zoom session completely, so I had to join again and admit everyone back in, but we also frequently lost time when someone's conversation would break up [the well-known Stammering Dalek Effect] and we had a lot of checking and repeating. I'm not going to say any more about Zoom, except that it occurred to me late last night that we could maybe get some improvement by shutting off the video links from the remote attendees - once we've said hello we don't need to see each other, as long as the battlefield views are working. It's a theory - I'll ask my son if it will help...

Righto - that's the excuses out of the way. The next bit has to be the things I got wrong. Last test game, I became aware of a few points in the game where the rules were vague - mostly about things like the exact timing of a morale check, or just what happens when a unit breaks from melee, so I had tightened this up, and had inserted some clarifying detail, including expanding the Turn Sequence to incorporate a specific Rallying Phase, between Activation and Movement. Great. In fact, it was a lot tighter, but I set up a big, encounter-type scenario, and the game was slow. I mean really slow. The melee rules worked a lot better (though they still need some tweaking), but it was all far too laborious for a big game. I also screwed up the formula for numbers of Order Chips, so that we had too many orders, which is like not having Activation at all. We had great, long player turns which must have been heavy going for the non-phasing player, who didn't even have any dice to roll.

OK - fair enough. All good - that's what a playtest is for - provided your friends are still speaking to you at the end!

The actual battle? Well, it took hours - much of which is down to lack of familiarity, of course, but it meant that we didn't finish. The target for a win was 8 Victory Points, and we had got to 4-all when we had to call it a day. As I say, I'm very happy that I learned a lot of good stuff, but one thing I learned is that the rules as they are now will not handle a big game, and I am really partial to big games, so some rethinking has started!

The armies seemed to spend a long time firing muskets at each other at 400 paces, which is not very effective, but there was a vigorous cavalry fight quite early on. The manoeuvre rules were not much of a problem - there seemed to be too many morale tests, considering not much was going on for most of the time. I can fix all that, but there are some fundamental issues which will need some surgery. That's OK too! I am pleased with what we achieved,  though as an actual game it was not the best.

I'll work on it!

Starting position, from the Imperial right flank - aggressive moves from the cavalry in the foreground...

...and from the opposite side, behind the Bavarian lines...

...just like the ECW all over again - the first cavalry clash was indecisive!

The Bavarian right flank was pretty quiet throughout - the battery on the hill was busy, but Goya seemed to have a great many 1s and 2s that he didn't get to roll last time out.

The cavalry get themselves sorted out, ready for another go. Note some dragoons sneaking through the wood on the left of the photo.

The Imperial forces, complete with battalion guns, came across the field to take the initiative, but a long range firefight ensued, which mostly didn't hit anyone, though a couple of units took fright


Bavarian artillery - working hard

Things were building up nicely, but we ran out of time before we reached the real crisis

General view, from the Imperial right, at the point at which we were forced to close. It'll be a lot better next time - trust me...



23 comments:

  1. Despite your numerous travails, the battle still looks brilliant. An effort I would have gladly endured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon - I've started with a fairly compact game system and "improved" - some serious thinking coming up!

      Delete
  2. Sleep? Who needs it it. Especially when sustained by such a wonderful looking game.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stokes - things conspired to make the game a bit laboured, but the companionship is always welcome - more changes coming up! (How else can we learn?)

      Delete
  3. It’s amazing how things make total sense when you are writing the rules, but become open to question when laid before others. I think we’ve all been there! That said you all still seem to have had a good time even with the patchy internet. Have you done your streams / rivers differently by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JBM - yeah - needed to see some of the full horror - all positive! This tabletop featured a stream I trot out occasionally - the hexagonal river system is still in operation, and I still haven't painted the "Muddy" side of the water hexes.

      Delete
  4. Nice to see the troops up close - they really are lovely armies Tony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sei mutig, Junge! - when the wall comes down we'll all meet again.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like it was a useful playtest Tony, under difficult circumstances.

    It just struck me that the table layout looks like one of those period prints. Just needs some commentary by de la Colonie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words - in fact DLC was present - his Boismorel boys were in the front line of the Bavarian army here - they weren't involved much, so his commentary will mostly be about chatting up the local Countess or similar.

      Delete
  6. Well that works very well, despite adversity. Great game and great test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually produced a lot of good input into the rule changes - the halting internet service and the unfamiliarity of the rules gave a sort of perfect storm situation. And, of course, I was down to a total IQ of 2 Lucozades.

      Delete
  7. I was asked by Martin S whether the swans were OK, and I have to confess to a very strange experience when I was tidying up after the game. Normally I wouldn't mention this kind of thing, but I thought it was remarkable.

    One of the HO gauge swans said to me, "what's been going on here, then?" as I was putting him back in his box.

    After I recovered my composure, I told him that I'd been running a game to simulate a battle from the 18th Century - it was what we enthusiasts called a miniatures wargame.

    The swan said, "I haven't seen a game as bloody slow as that since 'In the Grand Manner'"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...damn those swans and their early '70s wargames sensibilities.

      ...we shall show them the way with hexes and funny dice!

      Delete
    2. I have to admit I was concerned about the swans too, but that comment was entirely uncalled for. Replace them with ducks next time, see how they like that.

      Delete
    3. I agree - just nasty. He's probably upset because no-one came within arm-breaking range (which is sort of "point blank"). I have ducks and geese and all sorts, so am well covered if he is banned from future games for a while. May his feathers turn stubby and brown.

      Delete
  8. I find a new set of home-brew rules rarely survives its first contact with the enemy, and that's without lumpy internet to contend with. Game looks great whatever - be encouraged! The next game will look as good and have new, improved rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually thinking of cutting a whole section out of the rules. I didn't get where I am today by being clever. At least I've tried it...

      Delete
  9. Still looks impressive and a game is a game regardless how it’s achieved.
    The positive thing is that when this craziness is all over not only will you be a professional at zoom your rule will be ready and you can hit the ground running with some face to face gaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to get a game at all, but it was a bit of a struggle - it's OK - it was a playtest, I kept forgetting. Thank you for your motivational message!

      Delete
  10. I know why they stuck with it Tony, 'cause it was such a d@mned fine looking game!
    (And you are a top fella to boot).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JF - appreciated!

      I think that the old lockdown months have made some changes to our perception of things - in all sorts of ways. Just a fortnight ago, I said to my dear wife:

      "If it's OK, I am planning to have a Zoom game on Friday next week - probably 10am start, and I'll get everything tidied away by the following morning."

      Now she could have replied:

      "Oh that's nice - it'll be good to have a session with your friends again - what period are you going to be fighting in this time?"

      But in fact she said nothing at all - she just shrugged.

      Ach well.

      Delete
  11. Playtesting your own rules is always interesting... and often humbling. A fine looking game regardless. I have had far fewer problems with Zoom games from home than we have with Telehealth visits from the office.
    "Technology is great... when it works!"

    ReplyDelete