Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Saturday 25 January 2020

Hooptedoodle #353 - Plastic Rot revisited

Topic 1 - Plastic Rot
 
There has always been plastic during my lifetime. 40-year-old kids' toys, Bic pen caps and trash out of Christmas crackers were the sort of things you found down the back of the sofa when you were looking for lost money, TV remotes, passport etc - I am sure that one day archaeologists will dig up a complete layer of plastic that defines our civilisation. Yet something has changed - about 10 years ago I bought  a small (but very handy) mp3 player which somehow deteriorated - it became sticky and disgusting, and eventually I threw it away. Over recent years, between us, my family have had loads of plastic hairbrushes, each of which lasted about a year before it became sticky and unuseable. I had a rather expensive pair of noise-cancelling headphones I bought in the USA - one day they turned sticky and then they broke. There have been other incidents - as it happens, all these items were black - a matt-finish material. A couple of cheapish travel alarms did this and (infuriatingly) the plastic parts of my current Pure pocket DAB radio are showing signs of doing the same thing - same problem - matt-black, rubbery plastic becomes sticky and unpleasant to touch.

 
Most serious of all, my wife's sunglasses - the ones she likes for driving - have started to go the same way. The frames are quite heavy - dark brown plastic - she bought them from Boots about 2 years ago for £60 or so. Sticky - if you wash them in soapy water it helps a little, but the stickiness comes back again.

What's going on here?

Have plastics changed? Are they now made from some cheaper or more environmentally friendly ingredients, which have a limited life? Are plastics now required to be biodegradable in some way?

I have always just assumed that plastic was forever - a belief which was shaken in the past by

(1) disintegrating 35-year-old Airfix soldiers - aargh!

It was the grey plastic ones that caused me grief
(2) a horrifying adventure with a vintage guitar I owned - this was a 1948 Gibson ES150 - the post-war version of the old Charlie Christian model. I got it cleaned up and restored, and it was a lovely old thing, but the original pick-guard (scratch plate) was made of bakelite - an ancient organic plastic made from resin and bone dust. This plate began to decompose, and it gave off fumes which would corrode steel (strings, for example) - it took me a while to work out what was happening, then I got a luthier to make me a replica plate out of modern plastic. Bakelite - occasionally I see antique radios or domestic items made of the stuff advertised for sale - don't touch them. Toxic.



Topic 2 - Jury Service Citation

Today got off to a bad start. I got a phone call about 9am from the care home where my mother lives. This is not likely to calm my nerves first thing in the morning, so I steeled myself for some bad news. In fact it was a fairly mundane call - my mum has been sent a citation to appear for jury service at the Edinburgh High Court in March. The home has obviously completed an Electoral Roll return for all their residents. They cannot deal with the citation themselves, since they have no power of attorney or authority to act on my mother's behalf, so would I please look after it.

Well yes, of course. The court office is closed over the weekend, but I'll contact them on Monday. It is famously difficult to get exempted jury duty, but anyone over 71 may choose to be excused. My mum is 94 now, and badly afflicted with dementia, so getting her excused should be straightforward. I fear that I may have to send a written request, which may require me first to submit the original documentation for my Power of Attorney, which is a hassle - mainly because of the eternal risk of the stuff getting lost in someone's in-basket. That sounds like an addition to Monday's do-list, so no worries there.

It also occurs to me that I could just ignore the citation, in which case we could have a brief moment of fame when they attempt to prosecute her for non-appearance (the Sunday Post would love such a story), or - better still - send her along to the court for jury service. That would be interesting.

No - on reflection, I'll phone up on Monday and see what we do next. Ho-hum.


8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry about the jury service, i had to do the same thing for my mum last year - one quick phone call and it was done, they even volunteered to send a confirmation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this, young sir. I'll ring them tomorrow. This must be a commonplace - I also guess that it is only right that seniors should be offered the right to serve if they wish to, though there are hazards in this as well...

      Delete
  2. So it seems, or so the Google tells me) that the sticky plastic issue is not really a plastic issue. Apparently it’s decay of a rubberized plastic outer layer. Suggested solutions are washing with a baking soda paste, or removing with isopropyl alchohol. Do let us know which works best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for this, Ivan. The sticky layer sometimes has lettering on it, so I shall approach this with - what's the word? - trepidation - that's the fellow.

      Obrigado.

      Delete
  3. Your 94 year old mother picked for jury service.... how splendid... at least you now know that they give everyone a chance.
    Had she been fit, able and willing to go she would probably have been rejected anyway... many years ago when I was given the call I noticed that the prosecution always seemed to reject the young... I suppose because they would have been seen as possibly antiestablishment and the defence rejected the older offerings this time possibly because of their perceived establishment leanings.

    If I got a chance of doing jury service at 94 and I was able enough I would go for it... the tea, biscuits and lunch are all free.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - I would hang the bloody lot of them - especially the parking offenders.

      I phoned the High Court this morning - it took a few attempts to get an answer, but when I finally spoke to someone they couldn't have been more helpful. This must happen all the time - by law, care and nursing homes have to put all residents on the Electoral Roll, and the potential jurists are selected at random. The young man at the High Court may need a special number to cope with the requests.

      Delete
  4. May I add an aside to the sticky plastics issue? My partner, 'in a previous life' had classic cars, for which a problem was the plastic dashboard surrounds etc becoming dry and brittle with age. Apparently the answer was to apply baby oil. I only pass this on, I make no further comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this David - I wonder if baby oil would be the thing for my Merit trees? It occurs to me that the potential for mess might make scenic flock a trivial matter in comparison. Good, though.

      Delete