Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Thursday 25 January 2024

Any Day Now

 Been a bit distracted lately - no complaints really, just things to be getting on with and the odd storm to add excitement. The storms are losing novelty value now - maybe that's a good sign; if they become interesting again, it will probably be because of damage, so I'll settle for boring. Boring is good.

 
Boring
 
I've done hardly any soldier painting over the last year - a couple of jobs touching up bought-in figures, other than that I have two boxes of not-quite finished WSS chaps that have been hanging around since the start of last year. That seems a sensible place to get started again; I can work up to the freshly-reorganised boxes of raw metal later. As a token of good faith, I have put my painting mugs in the dishwasher, and am about to wash out my wet-palette container. If I make a flask of tea, tidy up my brushes, shift the small electric radiator into the painting room and try to get the DAB radio working, it should be just about bedtime.

Ha! - caught myself. No, I'll sit down with a couple of unfinished infantry units this morning, have a good look at them and decide what needs to be done to get them ready for duty. I suspect the house base-green paint may have gone off again, and I'm not confident about the state of my current pot of gloss varnish, but I can get on with the job until I reach the last stages. 

Right.

I have been working recently on the development of a campaign system (designed to work for solitary gamers, such as myself) to accompany my WSS rules. This has been time usefully spent, I think. The testing is presently on hold, another thing I have to get back to. I had a New Year exchange of emails with my friend Dominic, and he was very interested to learn of my campaign ideas. He was enthusiastic, in fact.

He asked, how was I dealing with sieges in my campaigns? I said that I wasn't really addressing sieges at this stage, though I intended to come back to them later, and my current target was just to be able to generate miniatures battles. Wrong answer. Good Old Dominic sort of snorted (via email), and pointed out that a WSS campaign which ignores sieges is a poor show. He was correct, of course - I have known this all along.

Thus there has been a two-week blitz on developing a siege add-on. If you are alarmed at the potential quality risks of adding sieges to the system in two weeks, I must explain that the siege game-within-a-game is a close relative of something I developed 12 years ago, so there is an underlying thread of sanity in there. Looks OK, anyway - it's added to the testing programme.


14 comments:

  1. Oo looking forward to these. Happy New Year as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interested to see how your siege system works - a vital components for almost any pre-Napoleonic campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob - the siege system is heavily abstracted - it has to be, since it has to run in the background of a campaign with weekly turns. Testing is ongoing, but I'll send you the first decent draft I have available.

      Delete
  3. I think your friend has a point about sieges Tony. I’m sure their inclusion will add greatly to the campaign. Given the storms currently wracking your neck of the woods I hope your notes are well tied down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking for some further help with testing, if you can spare the time - will contact you in next day or so. Dominic was absolutely correct, but he's a swine anyway.

      Delete
  4. Dominic is right on WSS campaigning without sieges. I would be very tempted to fight sieges on paper within the constructs of your campaign rules rather than bring them to the table to game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon - yes, agree on all counts - that's what I've done. Algorithmic Sieges are the thing.

      Delete
    2. If these algorithms fail, does the campaign siege-up?

      Delete
    3. Ha-ha! If algorithms fail, we just go and find that big white flag.

      Delete
  5. Hi Tony, I wrote some very simple "rules" for abstracted sieges for a solo mid-18th C campaign I ran last year. Worked OK, but the outcome was perhaps a little too predictable. Happy to share them if you're interested.
    May your days be uninteresting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I appreciate that. If you show me yours, I'll show you mine!

      Delete
  6. Painting mugs in the dishwasher? Someone means business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I've had to pay off the kitchen staff, so I had to put on the yellow rubber gloves myself. The painting is now progressing nicely, but I'm doing fairly short sessions. I should have some figures ready for basing around Tuesday! This afternoon I'll mostly be painting lots of black boots with brass buckles! I'll listen to Liverpool vs Norwich while this goes on.

      Delete