Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 19 July 2023

Hooptedoodle #443 - Gated Community

 Standard formula for one of my never-ending Hooptedoodles; I take a theme from my past life, and in some contrived manner I find a parallel (or more likely a faint resonance) in some unrelated aspect of the present.

 
Sign here

OK - guilty as charged. For better or worse, that's how my mind works.

This evening's tale starts with a Californian friend of mine from years ago, Leland. In a previous century, I used to visit California fairly frequently - it no longer matters why. Leland was good fun - he was loud, and jovial, and - as it happens - he was extremely wealthy.

He never married. He never worked. His father had been the head of a very successful legal firm, and had bequeathed to Leland and his sister a couple of blocks of apartments (in San Francisco) and a load of money. When I knew Leland, he would get up in the morning to nurse his latest hangover, would phone his stockbroker to sort out today's movement of assets, and then he would devote a couple of hours to his voluntary work on the committee of a children's charity. After that, his main objective was to find something to fill in his time.

He lived in Carmichael, which is a very upmarket suburb of Sacramento, and his barbecue parties were legendary. He used to invite his friends and neighbours, plus the odd celebrity (none of whom I had ever heard of), and he used to bring in a catering company and (usually) a jazz band, and there was fancy lighting and a professional cocktail bar and (once) strippers, and all sorts of unnecessary extravagance. All a bit much for me, I'm afraid, but I was duly impressed. If you are going to see how the other half lives, there is no particular point in settling for short measure.

I never saw Leland without a cigarette. It just didn't happen. He must have been in his early 60s when I knew him, and he freely admitted that he had chain-smoked since he was 17. Sadly, it caught up with him. Eventually he went into hospital for (very expensive) surgery, and then what was left of him moved away from Carmichael into a (very expensive) bungalow in a new gated community north of Sacramento. I visited him, just once, in his new home, and was deeply shocked at how my big, loud, extrovert friend had somehow become a rather small, frail, quiet, elderly man who spent his life terrified in case he ever got round to thinking what might happen next.

It was quick, which is probably merciful. He died before the end of the year I last saw him, which must have been 1998, now I think about it.

Exit Leland, as a player, from my story. I was troubled afterwards by the realities of his luxury home in its exclusive gated community - I wondered if I had unwittingly been present in a Stephen King story. To visit him at all I had to go through some rigmarole ritual to be granted a one-shot permit. I had to say who I was, provide my passport details, state why I wished to visit and provide some evidence that I had some place to live and means of viable support elsewhere. I understand that it might have been more difficult if I had been black, or of Hispanic ethnicity, but that is another matter. Without the permit, I had no chance at all of getting through security.

Leland himself told me some stories of life in such a community. Everything was looked after - the lawns were trimmed, the fences were painted, light bulbs were replaced, everything was maintained by a service company under the terms of a very detailed contract. All Leland's neighbours were elderly and wealthy. The old couple next door had a grandson in his 20s, who used to visit quite often. Whenever he was coming, word went round, and a list would be handed in; perhaps, since Henry was coming round anyway, he could maybe find a minute to help Mrs Bartholomew open that stiff window in the guestroom shower, and possibly he could help Mr and Mrs Groezinger to shift some heavy boxes into their garage, and maybe there was a chance he could have a quick look over old Charlie Hansen's Revenue form? And so on. In this strange, hopeless collection of old people who couldn't do very much for themselves, outsiders like Henry who still had some everyday skills, who could cope with those requirements of life which fell outside the service company's contract, had a whole new level of importance.

Fair enough. It was years ago, I didn't live there and didn't really understand it. Just another old story.

Recently, back here in the Third World nation of which I am a citizen, I was trying to find some potential hotel accommodation for later this year, and I phoned two promising places. By an extraordinary coincidence, on the same morning, each of them apologised for the fact that, though they would be able to serve us some breakfast, the restaurant and the bar were both closed now, since they could not get staff to work there. This comes within a few weeks of a conversation with a member of the family who own the farm where I live, who was lamenting that he had no idea how they were going to get enough seasonal workers to harvest the fruit and veg this year, and also a chat with the manageress at my mother's care home, who has very little hope that they can remain open beyond the end of this year, since they really cannot recruit qualified, competent carers. Without wishing to get near any sensitive political nerves, the common thread is that a few years ago 52% of the fine people who get to vote here were persuaded that we would all be better off if we converted our country into Leland's gated community, without all those problematic Poles and Slovaks and Romanians who used to come to work and pay taxes, and they have succeeded wonderfully.

Perhaps, if Henry were to come round next week, he could cook a few meals in a hotel for me in the Yorkshire Dales, and maybe serve me a beer, and then afterwards he might pick a few hundred tons of cabbages on a farm in East Lothian, and clean up my poor old mother. These things seem to have dropped off the end of the service company's contract.


Where is Stephen King when you need him, anyway?  I need to know how this story ends.

15 comments:

  1. I fear it doesn't end well, listening to the Moral Maze tonight, it's clear no one on any side of the climate debate or the climate protest debate as any idea how bad it is, and how late in the day it is to do anything - the climate will get us before the lack of casual labour does!

    But your mention of Mr. King's oeuvre reminded me of the Stepford Wives, not gated, but we have a new development here called Elvetham Heath (used to be a lovely forestry block with lots of rare Wellingtonias and Cedars for dog-walking and tree climbing when we were kids), and I occasionally use the Supermarket in the fake 'village centre', the whole place is so planned it's creepy, and I literally feel release as I drive back to 'old' Fleet! I don't know how anyone can live there, it's like Lego were the architects!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's just as well, then, but it does seem like an awful waste of cabbages.

      Delete
    2. Good stuff. I think Hugh has pointed out that your friend Leland also gives you a metaphor for climate change: by the 1960s, latest, everyone knew that chain-smoking would probaly kill them, but smokers couldn't/wouldn't stop doing it, egged on by those making a profit. Just like fossil fuels, then?
      Brexit is of course an absolutely brilliant idea and has been a tremendous success. I suppose by making us all poorer, it may reduce UK carbon emissions slightly? hmm..

      Delete
    3. Yes indeed - parallels a-plenty. Leland had a Buick station wagon which was about the size of Ark Royal, and must have shifted as much fuel. He used to walk around it before he drove anywhere - he described this as "the circuit", and claimed (in apparent seriousness) that it was good to check the tyres weren't flat, and he needed the exercise.

      Delete
    4. I have seen him drive to the dry cleaning shop at his local mall, which was about 200 yards from his house. I'm also aware that he gave the boy who delivered his daily newspaper a $200 tip at Xmas - the boy was about 11. and this was around 1988. My childhood paper round was obviously in the wrong place.

      Delete
  2. Give it a few more years and enough people will have realised they were conned that we can do something about it. Not much fun in the meantime me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting decade coming up - the Age of Euphemism? It will be a constant search for new ways to explain how we gradually rebuild a working relationship with the EU without offending any sacred cows or doctrinal catch-phrases on the way. We can offend Daily Mail readers as often as you like, of course.

      Delete
    2. Strangely, the EU seem to have drawn a 'Malvinas' line in the sand this afternoon, then everyone quickly denied there was anything meant by it?

      Delete
    3. Next thing, someone will want Gibraltar back, and maybe even the Costa del Sol. Just as well everyone loves us?

      Delete
  3. Well observed post. I deleted my initial comments since they quickly devolved into a rant. There’s worse to come after October. HM Gov have decided to finally implement the British side of the customs checks on goods from the EU - that they’ve been putting off these past few years. I wonder what effect the backlogs, extra costs, and new paperwork will have on the supply of goods coming to the UK from Europe? Incidentally I’ve room for three refugees over here in the terrible hellscape of the EUSSR. Applications will be reviewed in order of receipt. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we both know, the whole thing has been a conspicuous success - it is only the conspiracies of the remoaners and the lefty blob (did I get that right?) which get the thing a bad name. It's very hard to get an informed opinion, I guess, since our government don't actually know anything or understand anything. How do they organise that? - such a level of shut-out in itself is quite an achievement.

      Delete
  4. Perhaps the most Kafkeresue moment recently was both NIMBY anti-immigration protesters AND anti-immigration legislation protesters opposing the mooring of a floating hostel.......
    What I don't understand is why no-one is holding certain politicians to account for the promises they made; surely anytime they quote nonsense they should be quoted their own words back at them....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All very strange. People can protest for reasons I often don't even understand, but the government seems to have accidentally provided the punchline (in Scotland and Liverpool?) by forgetting to arrange for a berth, and the boats had to go back to where they came from.

      Delete
    2. The proposals to turn the former RAF Scampton into a holding camp for asylum seekers also prompted an odd three-way alliance of protesters. The "no to immigrunts in my town" lot, the "preserve historic sites" lobby and the "how can you treat poor people this way" crew.
      We knew as far back as the 1980s that they were the Nasty Party, but they have somehow managed to add incompetent and criminal to the description. Almost nostalgic for Thatch.

      Delete
    3. Chris - since it is becoming obvious that there is now no-one actively checking applications for political asylum, maybe the people who used to do this could get jobs serving in a pub, or picking cabbages? It makes sense to me...

      Delete