Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 26 December 2022

Hooptedoodle #435 - Christmas with the English Pastoralists


 My Christmas got off to a flying start when I had to go to bed, unwell, on Saturday morning. A situation which would have been recorded in the cricket score-books of my youth as RETIRED HURT.

Not wishing to dramatise anything here, but I was coughing like an elderly horse, and I was pretty much convinced that I had Covid again, but I have been testing regularly since then, all negative, so I guess I have the flu. Boring.

Right.

Well, I have retired to the attic bedroom (as one does), and I have been relying for entertainment on a USB stick of mp3 music which I recorded a few months ago - I have a few of these, for the car, or any outlying BluRay player; this one is titled French Impressionists and English Pastoralists. A sort of private joke for what kind of music it is.

The French bit is easy enough - Ravel, Debussy, Fauré, Hahn, Ibert, a few others. The English category is less obvious; the composers are associated (in my mind) by the style of music rather than the strict dates. Vaughan-Williams, Delius, Bax, Butterworth, Jeffreys, Finzi, Gurney.

Having stashed my festive food in the freezer until some time when I feel up to it, I'm living on Lucozade and Gerald Finzi - musn't grumble.

Finzi gets me to the point I wanted to discuss here. He's better known now than he was, but still not very popular. Finzi himself lived from 1901 to 1956, first of all in London, was evacuated during WW1 to Harrogate and then moved in later life to Gloucestershire. He is probably best known for his song settings of English poetry, with piano accompaniment, but he also produced some beautiful orchestral work.

 
Gerald Finzi (hurrah!)

I got a real shock when I first heard his Éclogue, for piano and orchestra, on the radio in about 1998 or so. Very moving. Heart stopping, in fact. I understood that he had written the original piece around 1928, as part of a piano concerto which eventually was scrapped. After Finzi's death, his publisher rescued two of the surviving movements as separate pieces. So that must have been around 1960. I couldn't understand how someone who listens to as much music as I have could never have heard such a lovely work; in fact I had never heard of Finzi at all. How could this be?

Well, the start of the explanation is that on that morning I was listening to Classic FM, which was a commercial classical music station in the UK. I would not have heard it on the BBC. Good heavens, no. This is because of the personal bias of one Sir William Glock, a legendary music critic and organiser. Glock is regarded as one of the great men of British music - his influence is still around, though he has been dead since 2000. Glock studied piano with Artur Schnabel in Berlin, and became convinced that modern music was the way to go. He was music critic of the Daily Telegraph and then of the Observer, and ran summer schools to support the growth of "avant-garde" music. His belief was that anyone who wrote music with a more traditional harmonic system - especially if it involved arrangements of folk tunes - was old-hat. Therefore Vaughan-Williams was especially not welcome, as was anyone who had studied under, befriended or (possibly) even heard of Vaughan-Williams.

 
Sir William Glock (boo!)

From 1959 to 1972 Glock was the BBC's Director of Music, and from 1960 to 1973 he was also head of the London Promenade Concerts. He was a despot. Anyone who was on his (alleged) blacklist of composers would not be performed on the BBC, and there was just about a shut-out on all concerts in London. It might have been possible for concerts to have been performed, or even broadcast, in the more provincial parts of Britain, but who cared about that?

If someone was known (or suspected) to be on Glock's list, the effects were far reaching. The UK recording companies would not touch them, since the BBC would not play or review the records, and there was little scope for public performance. I recall, as a young man, being told that Vaughan-Williams was really an eccentric amateur and would have done much better if he had been a more fastidious orchestrator. Who told me this? - that's right - the good old BBC.

Glock didn't only put a stop to some British composers having an audience in Britain; also Aaron Copeland, Franz Schmidt, Szymanowski and a few others were not encouraged.

In later life, Glock was Director of the Bath Festival, and undoubtedly had some positive influences in the field of music, though his obsession with Pierre Boulez strikes me as a bit odd. However, I recently obtained (at last) a CD of the works of John Jeffreys, which was recorded in the last year of Jeffreys' life, 2014. The sleeve notes on the CD explain that Jeffreys and a few of his contemporaries were unfairly ignored during their productive years, and though Glock and his legacy are not mentioned it is obvious why. At one point, Jeffreys, who had a tendency for depressive illness, was frustrated to the point of destroying the manuscripts for most of his (extensive) portfolio of work.

Well, that does it for me. I hope Glock got a severe talking-to when he arrived at the Pearly Gates. The whole thing smells of the Russian Government banning American music. You will not listen to this, because I say so.

It's rather a long piece, but if you don't know the Éclogue, here it is. I promise you will feel better if you have a listen.




19 comments:

  1. I once dated a Finzi step-daughter, although . . . 'dated' is rather bigging-up the episode, AND given both his dates above, and the fact that she was born after he died and was the daughter of a daughter (?) I fear she was no more a Finzi than I, but she went through school claiming to be, and hung on to it (the suffix) for two husbands! Lucky escape for me I suspect . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugh - a strange story. The Finzi's were an old Italian Jewish family who lived in London. When Gerald was young the family were evacuated to Harrogate. His father died when he was 8, I think, and his 3 elder brothers were all killed in WW1 (as was his music teacher, Farrar), which did not do a lot for his outlook on life. He also had an older sister, but if she had descendants they presumably would have a different name.

      Gerald had two sons, Christopher, who became a conductor and worked to promote his father's music, and Nigel, who was a violinist. They were both born in the 1930s.

      Gerald's mother became pretty heavily deranged in later life. During WW1 she attempted to have some neighbours arrested as spies because they owned a daschhund, and she used to carry her umbrella upside down, to conceal her identity.

      Only valid direct link between Gerald and your former lady-friend, I think, would be if she were a daughter of one of the two sons.

      Nigel died in 2010 in Dubai - I don't know if he had any family. Christopher married Jacqueline DuPre's sister, Hilary, though there is some reason to believe that he also had an affair with Jacqueline, so at that point I duck out of this discussion and you can dig up your own history! Christopher died in 2019.

      Sorry - that's more detail than you wanted, I'm sure, but I have a copy of Gerald's biography here! Yes, yes - quite so - boring!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes - it seems Christopher and Hilary Finzi raised their 4 children, Theresa, Clare, Nicolette and Orlando, at Church Farm, Ashmansworth, Hampshire. Ring any bells?

      Delete
    3. I'm sure the 'lik' is very tenuous, verging on pretentiousness of epic proportions, but to save the lady's blushes I won't dwell further on that, except to say 'Deranged'? Maybe there was a blood connection! But . . . my late godmother lived in/near Hurstbourne Tarrent - couple of villages over from Ashmansworth, where the church (possibly the one in your image above?) has a semi-famous glass screen (Lallique, Eric Gill? Someone like that!), which she took me to see (it's also listed in Pevsner), in the course of which we discussed Finzy (he was connected too, either to the church or the glass-work?),which set me on the idea of buying the Biography you mention, this being around 1997, so the Internet only just gaining traction, I went to the library, got the yellow pages for Central London, and rang round all the booksellers (who still had 'book finding services') then still in Charring Cross Road, until one said yes, we have a copy, blew twice the cost of the book on a travel-card to get it and managed to present it to my Godmother, which seemed to please her! And I ended-up doing multi-drop van work round Andover and villages for United Carriers (long gone now) and got to know all those little hamlets too well! So; Not so much "small world" as wheels-within-wheels! Indeed the bracketed question marks are probably all answered in your copy, I don't know what happened to my godmother's copy? And I can't for the life of me remember why we visited the church, which may have had nothing to do with glass? Sadly the next time I was in the church, it was for my godmother's funeral - 2011.

      H

      Delete
    4. Hugh - I reckon the lady in your story must have been a daughter of one of Christopher Finzi's daughters. Which makes her the great-grand-daughter of old Gerald. That's pretty close! Can I have your autograph?

      Delete
    5. Hahahaha! As with expectations of the imminent arrival of the Spanish Inquisition, nobody wants my autograph!

      H

      Delete
  2. Some nasty bugs doing the rounds - get well soon Tony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian - I made the mistake of turning up at the Haddington Folk Club session on Wednesday evening. It transpired that it was the Club's Xmas Party (which could be described as a fête worse than death), of which I hadn't been informed. I made excuses and left early, but by Saturday morning was definitely unfit for duty!

      Delete
  3. Not being much of a music buff ( many might refer to me as a Philistine!) I am totally unaware of any of the characters, with the exception of Vaughan Williams, who I have at least heard of! I heard of Glock, of course, but only in the hand gun sense! He sounds like a personality who might have been created by the writers of "Yes Minister", if his influence had not had such a malign effect. I suspect if I listened to music he would have approved of, versus Finzi and similar composers, I would prefer the latter....avant garde is a description that generally puts me off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith - I guess the history of organised music has been riven with politics, pushing in (arguably) positive and negative directions, for centuries. On balance, I would rather not have a single individual inflicting his/her taste on the rest of the world. If this does happen, it would be better and nicer if the individual were a practitioner rather rather than a ****ing critic. Putting a critic in this job is like putting your auditors in charge of marketing.

      Delete
  4. Your deep erudition about all manner of things never ceases to impress. I hope you're on the mend Tony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WM - I am grateful for your good wishes, but would be horrified if anyone should think that I was ever trying to impress. I do know of blogs where that is a prime deliverable, no doubt, but in my case this is simply the sort of drivel that interests me! A true expert would, I'm sure, destroy my theories very quickly.

      Please have a great Festive Season - in particular, avoid falling off things.

      Delete
  5. Hope you recover soon. Glock sounds like a very unpleasant character indeed. At the very least he should be spending a few eternities in Purgatory, if not The Other (rather hot) Place. I confess I know nothing of Finzi but I shall now explore and see what I think of his music. Thanks for the tip! (I'm not especially a fan of Avant-Garde music either.) Anyway, hope you are able to enjoy a better New Year. All the best of the Season, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David - faint whiff of a previous conversation, though this time my rant is about a music critic rather than an art critic! I guess this must be a thing...

      Still snuffling here - getting better slowly. I'm determined to develop some sort of appetite before my wife scoffs all the mince pies!

      All the best to you and yours - your flags have done a lot to brighten 2022 for me, so thanks for that.

      Delete
  6. Sorry you are not well, not a great Xmas (though I have occasionally dreamed of slaying in bed through the whole thing), hope you are on the mend. Mince pies are a great restorative (with a little sherry, perhaps?)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning I have had my "outside shoes" on for the first time since Saturday - have been for a haircut and to visit my mum. I now intend to have an exploratory mince pie for eleveneses. No sherry, but a small armagnac might go down OK - is the sun over the yardarm yet? What sun, you ask...

      Delete
  7. I too came down with the "Christmas Crut", my bedtime listening wasn't as cultured as yours, I listened to all of "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and dozens of Goon shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the Crut, but excellent listening material. You reminded me that I have mislaid my mp3 copy of the Hitchiker's Guide - must send out a rescue party. Goon Shows are terrific, but slightly dangerous if consumed in large quantities, because of alternative lighting to normal logic, and nervous looks from relatives etc when the wrong things are funny in real life.

      I also have a stack of old Hornblower radio shows (Michael Redgrave - very dated but entertaining - huge melodramas, and classic radio cheats such as "Good Lord - the entire crew has fallen overboard and drowned!") and Beyond Our Ken etc, which are worth having just for Kenneth Williams!

      Delete
  8. You are totally correct, over-consumption of Goon Shows can lead to an incurable case of Milliganese, hence my use of the term "Christmas Crut".

    ReplyDelete