Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 4 May 2020

WSS - Regiment Scharfenstein

More Imperialist infantry - this was supposed to be the last refurbishing batch for Phase One, but in fact I decided to hold back and strip two of the battalions, since they weren't in a good enough state to retouch. This last batch comprises the fuzzy end of the collection - these figures had not been varnished, and appear to have been stored less successfully than most of their colleagues. Whatever, they are more weathered, more battered than I have attempted so far in this project.


These fellows took a fair amount of labour to get into shape - I'm happy with them now, though a regiment dressed in grey with black facings is a bit on the sombre side.

These are two battalions of the regiment of Sebastian Carl, Graf Kratz von Scharfenstein. The Regiment Haßlinger will be along in a week or two, once they have been stripped and had the castings cleaned up a little.

Getting there!

14 comments:

  1. Smart fellows. Grey with black is not sombre. It’s chic. Like the grenadiers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir - I think at the time grey was the new white, but it was all white in the end.

      Delete
  2. They look very smart, Foy - tasteful, even. The white cravats and yellow grenadier caps really set them off nicely. Your Paintshop Pro flags are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi WM - thank you. I replied to this comment a little while ago, but Blogger seems to have swallowed my response, so let's have another go. Originally I intended to use a nice, subdued, clerical ochre for the grenadiers' jelly-bags, but the figures are so dark that I just went for the full Vallejo "Deep Yellow". The Inhaber for the regiment is correct for early 1703, which is my time frame, but these regiments used to change their names every few years - previously, this unit was Saxe-Coburg, then later it was Sickingen, and later still Browne von Camus. Presumably the owners of Austrian regiments used to lose them at cards or similar. And don't ever try to determine the seniority number of a regiment - it depends what date you mean, and why you're asking.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Michal - hope you are keeping well?

      Delete
  4. looking good, posting a small packet of samples this morning to you
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much John - nothing like some nice samples during lockdown!

      Delete
  5. Very nice indeed Tony...
    I like the grey and black... I may have to include this unit in my own collection at some point...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly - I think they were in grey until about 1710 - the unit I got from Eric was in grey, so it's easier to stick with that!

      Delete
  6. Hi Tony,

    John infected me too with photos from his Collection. The first 50 Bavarians are ready, the next Units already under the Brush.

    This period becomes interesting to me too:-)

    cheers
    uwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John is a monster, but you have to love him. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your next batch!

      Delete
  7. I think they are quite handsome.
    Just be careful when drinking your beer from a scharfstein!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter - I think a Scharfenstein is what in Britain we would call a grindstone - for sharpening tools. Wonder what his ancestors did? - or maybe it's a reference to someone's face?

      Delete