Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 6 May 2020

O Blog-ee O Blogg-er (Life Goes On)

This is just by way of a quick apology - I am having continuing problems with Blogger, and I wish to clear up any accidental breaches of etiquette.

Abergele Market, long ago - can you spot Desmond?
(1) A trifle to start with - the pictures which disappeared a few weeks ago have not come back, but it is reputed to be a known problem and Google are "working on it". If they come back, good - if they don't come back, I may replace the lost images. I may forget.

(2) There are certain bloggers who send comments to my blog and I don't get notified. I'm not sure why - it seems to be a regular feature of certain individuals - I keep an eye open for pending comments. If I've missed any, no offence intended.

(3) For some reason, I am only able to comment on some blogs if I use my own name, as per my Gmail account. If I have stopped commenting on your blog, it is not because I no longer love you, it is simply because I choose to use my MSFoy blog ID. Nothing sinister, it's just that if I use my real name I may get hassle from my ex-wife and the tax authorities of several Western nations. Also Max Foy's widow will be furious if she finds out he's dead.

(4) I can no longer follow any new blogs using my MSFoy ID - again, I am required to use my real name. This may be because my email provider is BTinternet - I've had occasional messages from Google that they cannot validate BT's mail server as having proper security certification - there was mention of some protocol or other (DMARC? - can't remember). Whatever, I'm not very interested.

I guess I have to be glad that it still works a bit. I am offered regular suggestions that I should try New Blogger, but I remember (with a shudder) similar pressures to move to Google+, and I am keeping my hand on my halfpenny.

I'd like to think this is the most boring post I've put here for a while - if you disagree, please don't bother to let me know.

13 comments:

  1. I agree.. 😀
    Blogger is indeed a bit clunky sometimes. It does not always notify me when someone has commented on my blog, but always helpfully tells me when I have just replied to a comment..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The confirmation that you have made a comment is certainly a service that I don't get, so I should maybe complain about that too.

      Just occurred to me - what happened to all the blogs that were set up on Google+ - was there a crowd-funded migration to Blogger, or did Gooogle pick up the tab?

      Delete
  2. On point (1): When Blogger went through the destruction of photos a few weeks back, I re-uploaded the missing photos. After that, no more trouble.

    On point (2): I have a similar situation with only one, particular respondent. Why? Unknown but I never get notification when Gonsalvo comments.

    On point (3): That explains why I nary see a comment from you!

    Issue (4) is an odd one. Are you logged into your Google account when you attempt to follow?

    I am hesitant to try "New" blogger too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon - I'll use your itemisation, if that's OK.

      (1) Yes - the missing photos seem to be restricted to a particular time period - I'm waiting to see if they come back! (The photos on your blog are a more serious loss than mine if something goes wrong)

      (2) I think I have seven secret correspondents, of whom - yes, that's right - Gonsalvo is one.

      (3) Ouch - that's a tad bitchy, isn't it? Certainly the Blog ID problem explains my gradual drop-off in the commenting leagues - as it becomes more of a hassle, or more uncertain, I tend to put less effort into trying. It does work sometimes (See (4))

      (4) Ive tried variously logging on with my Google account (which uses my Gmail address as an ID) or with my main (non-Google) email address, which considerately treats me as MSFoy, but the results are uneven, and vary from blog to blog and from time to time. Some of my problems come from one occasion when I had a Brave Day and cleaned out my cookies. I had to do a lot of signing back in to various accounts, and some things have never been quite the same since. I am a Mac user, which gives a lot of comfort over security, no need to worry about virus or malware etc, but doing something as mundane as clearing out cookies causes problems, and actually upgrading the OS is a bad mistake, since none of the non-Apple apps will work afterwards. (Rant over)

      Delete
    2. Bitchy? Of course not! I am cursed with acute powers of observation.

      Delete
  3. This is all a conspiracy theorist's dream scenario! I am currently concocting a youtube video wherein I can connect David Iconic, Corona Beer, the faked moon landings, Irishman jokes, Google's plan to conquer earth and the alien 'id' based despotic will that runs amazon - with the fact that the world is hollow 'and' flat at the same time due to non-euclydian geometry! Once I've done this, you should get your pics back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you could get a move on, we'd all be grateful. I don't take it too personally if Google hates me - I wouldn't expect anything else.

      I see you're back on the Vitamin B12 shots?

      Delete
  4. For some reason, Blogger has decided that my email (in use for 25 years without change) is suspect... even though it is tied to my Google account, and thus won't even forward notification of my comments to me! I get the same DMARC malarkey, and just haven't had enough patients to see if I can fix it.

    Nothing better than the "It's known issue" response... followed by silence. In other words, bugger off, we know it's broken but either have no idea how to fix it, or can't be bothered to do so. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is annoying, but it's a comfort to me that Google hates you too.

      My email service is BT, which is Yahoo under the skin, and I have wondered if that maybe doesn't help.

      Delete
    2. I have plenty of patients, it is patience with the issue that is lacking, LOL!

      Delete
    3. Excellent - the spellchecker wins hands down!

      Delete
  5. Ah yes, poor Madame Foy. Very ‘Martin Guerre’ of you to step in there. Noble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit, now you mention it. The stand-in came to a sticky end, as I recall. There is another school of thought that my imposture is more along the lines of Albert R.N.

      Delete