Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 5 February 2020

Black Bob

Lightweight, entertaining little paint session tonight. Digging around in the Eric Knowles boxes, I have found some interesting items in there.

Tonight I restored a couple of little command vignettes.



First off, here's Maj.Gen Robert Craufurd, of Light Division and getting-killed-in-the-breach-at-Ciudad-Rodrigo fame. This is not going to win any prizes, but it's an attractive little piece. The conversions are ambitious; I can see from the figure bases that the starting point for each is Hinton Hunt SC 4, which is a one-piece-casting ACW cavalry trooper. The mounted Rifles officer has had a body swap - I think I recognise the top half of the HH Rifles officer (normally on foot) - the one with the whistle. His shabraque has been cut from lead foil - it's an impressive job. The General's top half is more of a mystery - I thought he might be a Wellington - I even thought he might be an SHQ Wellington, but I think this model was made too long ago for SHQ. The cape is hand-built from lead foil, again, and I imagine the saddle furniture was, too. I've kept Eric's colour scheme. There was evidence of some corrosion on the foil cape - a white bloom on some of the edges. Lead rot? I've cleaned them up, repainted as necessary and sealed with fresh varnish, and put them on an official house-standard base (Division Commander - 50mm x 50mm, white border). I guess Black Bob's days may be numbered, but with a bit of luck he might outlast me.


And here is a HH General for the ECW, complete with dog. This will go well with Lord John Byron's ferret and Fairfax's Mynah bird. I couldn't find the dog in Marcus Hinton's catalogue, so can only assume it must be a Clayton addition.

16 comments:

  1. How marvelous to find these one-off conversions in your newly acquired collection! A treasure, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm very appreciative - most of the Napoleonic stuff in the collection begs the creation of new conversions rather than presenting me with historic ones, since the units were obviously larger than I use, and there is a shortage of command figures, but what is there is very pleasing. Lots of little command groups, with engineers and staff officers looking a things through telescopes. Eric was fascinated by infrastructure and support services, I think, but most of the pontoon trains and so on were in scales I can't use.

      Delete
  2. Lovely little figures Tony, and very clever conversion work on Black Bob and the rifles officer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee - I had never thought of adding foil shabraques - I can see why the ACW cavalry figure would make a good starter, since as I recall there is very little saddle furniture on the casting. It may seem a bit extravagant that I didn't liberate the Rifles officer to command someone, but in fact I already have a couple of HH mounted Rifles officers, which were converted by BB Wargames some years ago, so the command jobs are already spoken for - in any case, it is only right to keep Eric's chaps together!

      Delete
  3. Those conversions are great, full of charm. That dog however looks very like Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian - yes - I was working on some elaborate private joke whereby this ECW command stand is known as General [whatever], but only insiders know that the dog is actually in command, and the guy with the big hat is only there to throw the stick. I need a good name, to sustain the gag. Any ideas for dog-related generals' names?

      Delete
    2. Early reserach reveals that there was a Col John Barkstead, but the pedants would point out that he was a Puritan, and those doesn't look like Puritan togs to me, also Barkstead was active in the New Model, which is a bit late and a bit grim for me.

      Also, Barkstead was noted as a rather unpleasant chap - partial to excessive punishments etc - maybe some Karma in the fact he came to a very sticky end at Tyburn for being (allegedly) a regicide.

      Nah - he's too miserable to take part in a joke. Needs more research...

      Delete
    3. Crikey, body swaps. I haven't dared to try that yet. I'm also intrigued by the use of the lead foil. Its sounds as if it might be terribly bendy and prone to dings and dents. I suspect that this is why their mounts are stationary. You wouldn't want anything going at any speed.

      Delete
  4. That shabraque is a cracking piece of work.

    As for the ECW figure he’s got to be Sir Rufus Hound of Barking.......
    ......I’ll get me coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shabraque is good - I've never knowingly seen this kind of work before. The sheet-lead cape is literally cracking a little, so will require cautious handling - fortunately, this is a "handle by bases only" regime - a result of having coped with Les Higgins bayonets for 45 years or so.

      Delete
    2. Sir Rufus Hound - very good. Like it.

      Delete
    3. This chap got there first obviously but it is a ‘period appropriate’ name.
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_Hound

      Delete
  5. Very nice conversions...
    Body swaps are definitely a scary prospect... I have done a couple in my time and they always throw up problems....
    ;-) ;-) ;-)... there aren’t many situations where you can talk casually about body swaps are there....?

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't add much more. A lovely find of some beaut conversions.

    ReplyDelete