Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Saturday 6 April 2019

Hooptedoodle #329 - The Ascent of Schlimm - Part (2) of an occasional series



The Grand Duke yawned, and as he did so he realised that he had actually dozed off for a moment. It was very warm in the room. He opened his eyes and jumped with fright - there, on the other side of his enormous desk, stood his Minister of Finance, young Edelbert Schlimm.

"What a fright you gave me, Schlimm! - I was pondering the matter of the floral theme for this year's Watchmakers' Guild Festival. I thought perhaps daffodils?"

"Highness, we did daffodils last year. In fact, I believe it has been daffodils every year for the last eleven festivals - something to do with avoiding the cost of repainting the floats."

"Ah yes - as I recall there was only one float involved last year, with the Schweinheim Children's Choir - what happened to the rest of the processional vehicles?"

"The festival has been downsized, Highness, since there are no longer any watchmakers and only 27 people attended the last one, including the parents of the choir."

"Yes - now I remember. All right - why don't we go for daffodils this year?"

"Excellent idea, Highness."

The Grand Duke stared at his Minister, musing over the remarkable change in his appearance in recent months. He was impeccably suited and groomed, his shirt and his shoes were hand-made, in his lapel he wore the scarlet and white silk ribbon of the Grand Knight's Cross of the Order of Sankt Tobias and - the Grand Duke winced to observe - he had a discreet diamond stud in his left ear. He was also surprisingly suntanned, considering it was only April and the fog and rain of what passed for Spring in the Duchy did not usually cause sunburn.

"Reminds me - I sent for you. Where have you been?"

"I'm sorry, Highness, I have been very busy."

The Grand Duke frowned.

"But I sent for you over a week ago, where have you been?"

Schlimm was impassive.

"Complicated - mostly I've been in Dubai, I think. Yes - mostly Dubai. What was it you wanted?"

"A number of things I was concerned about - if you hold on a moment, I have a written note here somewhere."

Pushing his reading glasses back up his nose with his index finger, the Grand Duke scrabbled around among the chaos on his desk for a few seconds, and produced a crumpled scrap of paper, which he smoothed out and studied for a little while.

"Right," he said, "for a start, who are all these foreigners wandering about the castle? They are frightening the kitchen staff, and last week a couple of them walked in here and started measuring things. Never said anything, just wrote down some notes and sketched drawings in an exercise book. I was trying to watch TV. Are they here to redecorate?"

"No, Highness - they are here in connection with the sale and lease-back agreement I told you about."

"You never told me any such thing, not that I remember - also these fellows don't speak any German - they're English, I think. What's going on?"

"I apologise, Highness, I was sure we had discussed the matter. The castle is far too big for the needs of your family; the idea is that we sell the place for redevelopment - you and the Ducal Family and your immediate entourage will live in a modern apartment in the West Wing, with a nice view across the swamp."

"But my family have lived here for many centuries, Schlimm - what is to happen to the place? - and what about all the paintings, and the furniture, and the collection of ceremonial armour, and the stuffed animals, and everything else? This is my personal history, our glorious heritage."


Schlimm bowed slightly.

"With respect, Highness, personal history is a luxury appropriate only to those who can afford it. I am expecting a report from the preliminary survey shortly, so we may discuss it then, if that suits you. The current suggestion is that the remainder of the castle buildings will be developed as luxury apartments. The architects are very interested in the paintings and the other artifacts - if there is anything they can't use they have offered to sell it for us on eBay. There are various ideas for the use of the Great Park - I am trying to retain a small garden for you and the Duchess. They may even stretch to a greenhouse."

The Grand Duke passed a shaking hand over his haggard face.

"A greenhouse? I remember none of this, Graf Edelbert. Have you mentioned it to the Duchess? Is she in favour of these plans?"

"The Duchess has been away skiing since before the discussions started, Highness - I had hoped you might raise the matter with her when she returns? There are also some interesting ideas involving the sale of her hunting lodges to an American hotel chain. The concept is that they would make very attractive health spas."

The Grand Duke removed his glasses and closed his eyes - he really did not feel well at all.

"Schlimm, I think I'm going to have to rest for a while. Before you leave, can I just mention the subject of beer?"

"Beer, Highness? - shall I get you a beer?"

"No, Schlimm, I just need you to explain something to me. Recently I suddenly fancied a beer - haven't had one for a while - and asked old Tauber to bring me a bottle of the Alter Drosselberger, my favourite. It was horrible - like horse urine. Also, the label was in English. I was so upset I rang a phone number which was printed on the label, and I got through to a helpdesk which I think was in India."

"Well, Highness, the Alter Drosselberger is selling very well, the brewing company is one of our more successful enterprises. I am sorry if you received a bad bottle."

"But we used to make the finest beer in Europe, one of the few things of which we could still be proud - it won international medals and everything. Good God, Schlimm, I own this brewery - my family has owned it since the 17th Century. I am going to visit the place and find out what's going on - I shall sort them out, you'll see - tradition still counts for something!"

Schlimm stared at his immaculate shoes, and aligned the crease in his Italian trousers.

"In fact, Highness, you are not strictly the owner of the brewing firm these days. You do retain a minority stake in the company, but you have only 15% of the voting shares. My brother and I have 80% between us. The actual Blickhof brewery is long gone - it is now a shopping mall and an indoor swimming pool and sports centre. The recipe for the beer was updated to cater for modern tastes, and the contract for production of the stuff is the subject of a tender every two years. Recently there has been a change - for a while the beer was being made and bottled in Burton on Trent, but it has now moved to a firm in Turda, Romania. No doubt it will move again if we get a more competitive offer."

There was a silence. The Grand Duke sat with his eyes closed for a while, and Schlimm was beginning to wonder if he had fallen asleep again when he eventually spoke, slowly and without any discernible emotion.

"I really do not understand. The fact that we made the best beer in Europe was crucially important - it was a source of national pride, and it was a noble tradition. This is not just a matter of revenue or earnings yields, it is a question of self-respect, and of ethics. If we can get our beer made more cheaply elsewhere, so that you and your brother make even more money, then I congratulate you, but I think you have missed the point. If I phone up to complain about the horse urine beer, I speak to a man in India and we cannot understand each other. That sums up exactly how much we have come to care about our customers and our traditions. I am appalled."

Schlimm smiled condescendingly, but the old man did not see him because his eyes were still shut.

"Your ideas, Highness, are as traditional and as outmoded as is much else about the Duchy and the way it runs. 'Pride in our product' is a very old-fashioned philosophy. Nowadays commercial ventures exist only to make as much money as possible for their owners. That is their primary - arguably their only - function. If our beer really tastes like horse urine then we will sell less of it, and we will make less money - that's when we know we have to do something about it. That is how it works nowadays. Your ideas of quality and pride are worthy and they do you credit, but, like the dinosaurs, they are things of the past. If you can get no help from our helpdesk number, then you should be delighted that you are dealing with a company which wastes as little money as possible on such matters..."

He broke off here, his voice ending on something of a squeak, because the Grand Duke had taken an old army revolver from his desk drawer, and was very deliberately taking aim at him.

The redevelopers are here



11 comments:

  1. Schlimm has it coming.
    Thanks for this sad but amusing cautionary parable. Or is it an elegy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike - I think it is probably an elegy. I am not feeling terribly optimistic of late. I guess I will just have to rely on the Shit Press and social media to find out what I'm supposed to make of it all.

      Delete
    2. An email from Martin S points out that it cannot be an elegy, because the beer is now gluten-free. Too complicated for me, man.

      Delete
  2. And you tell ME I should write a book! Love it, made me laugh for the first time in a very dismal week. More power to your keyboard sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit like one of our campaigns - I'll have to write some more to find out what happens.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed this tale when I first read it, but even more so this afternoon after catching this news report about human-flesh muppet Steve Mnuchin. https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/mnuchin-ends-day-on-capitol-hill-with-threat-to-never-return
    The punchline is.... very nearly Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  4. In US terms, the legal construct that corporations are "people", and thus are entitled to unlimited "speech:" in the form of buying off our politicians with virtually campaign contributions, has really aggravated an already bad situation. Corporations exist to make money for their shaereholders; that is their morality. They do not experience remorse, or guilt, they cannot be jailed, they do not age, they cannot vote (at least directly!) etc. They are NOT people... and money is NOT speech!

    The obsession with short term profit at the expense of long term growth and development certainly isn't doing us great favors either. At least we can feel a touch superior for a short while when we contemplate your Brexit mess. However, then we recall who the current President is... and have little reason to feel smug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ivan - any parallels with the real world are, of course, entirely fortuitous. I know nothing of Mnuchin - mind you, he knows even less about me.

    I wonder if there will come a time when we'll attempt to explain to our children and grandchildren about the people who ran our world for a little while, and the reasons they behaved like this, and the strange, self-serving life forms with which they surrounded themselves. With a lot of luck, our descendants will dismiss it as tall tales, wild exaggeration, and will find it impossible to believe. I hope so.

    Perhaps we'll wake up soon and find it has all been a dream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will the Grand Duke (in this book you are not writing) wake up and find it was a dream? Or will he be forced (after the trial, assuming his aim is good) to admit to his grandchildren that he had become just a little complacent?

      anyway.... more toys! now that you have solved the status markers issue to your satisfaction, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on fk&P. I have played "To The Strongest" quite a bit, and... not totally convinced I like it.

      Delete
    2. Ivan - this is not really the place for a review of TtS, but - if you can be bothered! - please email me at the address in my profile. I'm interested to know your concerns about these games - I started off enthusiastic but concerned about potential rigmarole with record keeping, but I'm getting happy with this aspect now, so I'm back to enthusiastic. Anyway, please email if you'd like to.

      Delete
  6. Peter - I fear that the fixation on short term gain also chokes any hopes for the environment or future world peace. What do these guys think is going to happen in the long run? Do they think the oppressed will forget, or the ice caps will not bother melting, for fear of drowning out London etc, or that people with no hope will suddenly realise the beauty of their position? Or do they simply focus on the fact that they themselves will be very rich, and if they are not actually dead will maybe come up with some even more preposterous idea to continue the insane balancing act?

    ReplyDelete