Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Friday 26 October 2018

Back in the Refurb Factory - Old Guard

I decided this week that I should have another bash at the refurb backlog. There's plenty to be cracking along with, to be sure. In theory, refurbs should be a time-efficient way of swelling the ranks, and the work is certainly useful for getting rid of some of the boxes of spare figures before they simply take over - or get out of control, and I just lose stuff. I recently was pleasantly surprised by my restoration of a division of old PMD/Higgins cuirassiers, so I am inspired to try more of the same.

All ready for the command figures to slot into the spaces. Les Higgins NF1s.
This week I've been back in the boxes of Les Higgins French figures which I mentioned a while ago in a post called Carlo's Army - I should get two decent battalions of Old Guard out of this instalment. The restoration of the line troops in Carlo's legacy has been stalled for a month or two, so if the Guard goes well it might rekindle my enthusiasm to get back to them.

To be honest, I have been a bit put off Carlo's guardsmen, because old Carlo pulled something of a fast one on me - when he sent me photos, there seems to have been some rather clever choreography, so that the proportion of broken bayonets in the photos was far less than the reality when they arrived. I have been sulking just a little, I admit it, but in the end it doesn't matter a lot - I have enough undamaged rank and file in the NF1 At the Ready pose to make up two battalions. [Experts will be nodding - the Higgins NF1 guardsman must have the most fragile bayonet in wargaming history - only the firing guardsman pose comes close...]

They were rather nicely painted. They certainly needed freshening up, and Carlo's painting style (back in the 1970s) was a little naive, in that he painted the bits very carefully, but sometimes there are glimpses of bare metal between the bits. Whatever, they have come up a treat - not a big job, and my faith in refurbishment is restored (as it were), which might be a dangerous precedent if I'm not careful. For the Guard, bless him, Carlo stuck to the dress regulations rather better than he did for the Line.

As is always necessary, I have counselled myself that these are not going to be as good as if I'd painted them from scratch myself (which is fair enough if you can get your head around it), but that they will be quite good enough, and will give a very fair return on the cost and the effort needed. Anyway - as of this afternoon they are based and ready for the command figures.

As with the cuirassiers, I have bought in some Art Miniaturen figures for the command - they should be splendid, and they are a very good size match, but another intake of breath is required, as I stare at the contents of the packs and try to work out which half-arm fastens on to which officer etc. I have a few more command figures than I need, in fact - for each battalion I'll add two officers on foot, one drummer, one porte-aigle and a mounted colonel - oh, and one of the units will get a sapeur, since I am one private short.

Today's photo is just to prove to myself that it went OK - I'll try to reproduce my successful effort with the cuirassiers, and get the command figures done before my attention starts wandering back to the Bavarians. I'll report on this lot when the command figures are done!

24 comments:

  1. They look lovely. God knows how you Napoleonic types navigate your way around all the obscure uniform detail that there seem to be. I assume that the whole period is quite well documented?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite easily explained, in my case - I have loads of books, and I don't get out much at all.

      Delete
    2. I find not getting out much to be a big help in these matters.

      Anyway, according to the camera they look very well indeed.

      Delete
  2. Your refurbished Guardsmen look great! What was old is now new. As you state, refurb. is a great way to breath life into old figures and clean up your orphaned bits pile too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big proportion of my armies are other guys' old toys repainted and re-loved. Yet I still find it very difficult to get the right approach - there is a doctorate of some cod philosophy or other waiting to be gained. The approach to refurbishing is consciously different - has to be, or it's a waste of time and a potential road to insanity. I'm happy when it works out, but it's often a struggle to keep the old figures out of the stripper!

      Delete
  3. I have a unit of LH French Elites at the ready (NF14) who are 'sans' bayonet. I use plastic card to make replacement bayonet and swords.

    My blogs has details on this method.

    https://ilkleyoldschool.blogspot.com/2017/10/gloss-varnished-lurzowers.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark - I shall check out your post - thanks for the link. I have quite large numbers of otherwise respectable LH figures which lack only bayonets - I must do a nose-count!

      Delete
  4. Well they look mighty fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray - I shall try not to breathe on the bayonets!

      Delete
  5. Those guardsmen look fine to me! Probably the greatest bugbear to a wargamer is the fragility of weapons, especially muskets and bayonets. I have a few Warrior figures, small, but cute, but whose muskets fall off if you look at them wrong. Minifigs march attack guys lose their muskets at the drop of a cocked hat. Plastic figures either wilt and the paint flakes off, or snap at the slightest hint that pressure might be applied to them at some point in the near future. Swords the same. Snarl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mysterious associate Count Goya introduced me to what seems to be the best bayonet-repair solution I've come across, short of soldering the beggars. If he's agreeable, I might arrange a post on the subject - I must add with all appropriate haste that I haven't tried it myself (yet), but am aiming to, and I've seen it done.

      Bayonets: Higgins are awful - strictly for looking at, and only in dim light. Only surpassed by the very short-lived NapoleoN Miniaturas re-issues of Higgins. Current Minifigs not great, Warrior, as you say, fragile too. And so on. The original 20mm Garrison bayonets were hazardous - in fact they sometimes missed the casting process altogether. And so on. Hinton Hunt (and relatives) were pretty good. The best I have come across were the S-Range oversize jobs - now these were serious bayonets - if someone had come after you with one of these you would have legged it. If only they had made them half the length...

      My method of protecting bayonets is to have the figures permanently based, and to leave the casualties on the table (use loss counters) - handle all figures by the bases or (even better) the sabots under the bases, and the problem starts to shrink dramatically. Pity it has to be like this though. The traditional image of handfuls of single soldiers being scooped up requires me to lie down to recover my composure. Presumably plastic Spencer Smiths were good for this?

      I've seen some old 20mm soldiers recently which were in such a bad state that I can only assume they have been trodden on, which of course is the reason why none of us has his childhood Britains and Timpo soldiers any more. Soldiers trodden on - where's my medication?

      Delete
  6. Very smart Tony. It's always good to see some old Old Guard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is getting a little scary - when these are complete I will have 4 Old Guard battalions and 3 Young/Middle Guard - with the cuirassiers as well this isn't like Spain at all. Next I'll be doing Bavarians - oh - just a minute...

      Delete
  7. A lovely bit of sprucing Tony... well worth the effort.
    Although S Range have nice robust bayonets their ankles can be rather weak...
    Alas the gods of wargames may give ...but they also take away.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir - weak ankles - that's right! I remember a unit of S-Range ACW zouaves who were particularly delicate in the ankles department.

      Delete
  8. I can almost hear the Pas de Charge in the background. Lovely units.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes - I'll start the command figures on Monday.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful painting...and poses, they look so determined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guys are concentrating very hard, in case their bayonets drop off...

      Delete
  10. I remember reading somewhere - it may have Featherstone or some such - that Higgins's old guard grenadiers were the finest wargame soldiers ever made. Seeing yours I'm starting to believe it. They are wonderful!

    I can't wait to see what the Goya bayonet solution is. Soldering is all very well, but the risk of melting the muskets gives me palpitations every time I try it.

    All the best,
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite wargame figure is probably the Alberken Brunswicker, though I'm not sure why. Good bayonets, mind.

      Delete
  11. They look well indeed, and will look super when the command has been added to the. I don't stress much over broken bayonets, swords and the like. Rather like the Velveteen Rabbit - these are our topys, meant to be played with and ,loved (after a fashion). And besides when it comes to Guardsmen "Eh bien, Jean-Pierre, no bayonet you say? I seem to recall losing mine fishing the corpse of a Mameluke from the Nile back in'98. The jewels and gold were enough for me to buy a small farm in Provence when I returned form the Levant. And then there was mademoiselle Louisa... "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You now have me worrying about why there seems to be a lack of detail in my wargame narratives.

      No - I confess I am very OCD about bayonets - I was even looking at the photo and noting that some gentle straightening was required. Very gentle.

      Delete