Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Tuesday 24 July 2018

Hooptedoodle #307 - Auntie Kashie's Basket

This isn't Kashie's Actual Basket, of course, but it was just like this, only a different colour...
I've been sorting out some boxes of old papers that I am minding for my mother - partly because I was looking for some old photos, but mostly just to see what's in there. The problem with this kind of activity is that most of what is in there is, of course, rubbish, but occasional items of interest appear, and it is very easy to get distracted - drawn in, so to speak. I take care to write my name and address on the soles of my slippers before I get too far absorbed.

In there I found a sheaf of notes and photocopies compiled by my cousin Dave; when he found out he had terminal cancer he started (pretty much from scratch) researching his/our family. Sadly, he didn't get as long on the job as we would have all wished, but he certainly found some fascinating stuff. Yesterday I found some notes about "Auntie Kashie", and I sat up straight, because I haven't heard of her since I was a very small child.

From my very earliest memory, I used to keep my toys in a very old wickerwork laundry basket. It was Auntie Kashie's Basket, though I didn't know who Auntie Kashie was, and I'm not altogether sure my mother did either. It was very like the basket at the top of this post, except it was painted (or stained?) green. The basket went on its way before we moved house when I was 10, so I haven't thought about Auntie Kashie for a very long time. Well, I've never thought about her at all, really. Just another name in a bewildering family history.

All these years later, I know who she was, and Dave's notes fill in a lot of gaps. If I may start by way of a short detour, I wrote a blog post some years ago about my great-grandfather, Robert James Moore, who served in the Royal Armoured Corps in Egypt in WW1 - he drove a Ford Model T armoured car, which you can see in that post. Robert was my mother's father's father (that's not too complicated, is it?), and apart from his military service he lived most of his life in Liverpool and Birkenhead, where he was a coal merchant.

Robert James Moore's father was also named Robert Moore (confusingly), and he was born in Tralee in Ireland in 1842. Robert senior was a professional soldier in the British Army, and his children were born on his travels - Robert James Moore was born at Pembroke Docks [it says on his birth certificate] in 1875, and a daughter, Kathleen Annie Marcella Moore, was born in Cork in 1876. The daughter was known as Kashie. Ah.

St Mary's Anglican Church, Walton, Liverpool
Both the children were confirmed at St Mary's Church, Walton, Liverpool in 1892 - by this date their father had been discharged from the army, and was living in Liverpool. He seems to have held various jobs as a night watchman, janitor at a school and similar.

Kashie was musical. When she grew up she worked as staff pianist at the Empire Theatre, Liverpool, where she met and married the manager of that theatre, one Kingstone Trollope (I am not making this up, I swear). Kingstone was an actor of some national reputation - quite why he was working as a theatre manager in Liverpool is a mystery. I think my mother has a suitably theatrical photo somewhere of Mr Trollope, but I can't find it at the moment - I need to have a good look through her piles of old family pictures again.


By 1911, Kingstone seems to have resumed his career as an itinerant Thespian - his name crops up in old theatre programmes - in 1937 he appeared in "London After Dark" at the Shaftesbury Theatre, London, in a pretty serious production, and in 1940 (by which time he must have been in his 60s) he was in "The Importance of Being Earnest" with Peggy Ashcroft and Jack Hawkins. I don't know what happened after that (you will be delighted to learn).

Queen's Road, Everton, when they were knocking it down (1960s?) - all new
houses there now
Whatever, in the 1911 Census a Mrs Kathleen Trollope is recorded as resident at 7 Breck Grove, Queen's Road, Everton, Liverpool, but there is no record of Kingstone, who must have gone back to treading the boards. Kashie kept a basket of Trollope's costumes and other gear for many years, and eventually it became my toy basket, so I guess he never came back for it.

Now I'll have to do some further reading in the boxes, and I must have a proper search through those piles of photos. I'll have to watch this - you need plenty of time to devote to it, and I am uncomfortably aware that my cousin has passed this way before, but he ran out of time.

If it turns out Kingstone Trollope is actually world famous, please someone let me know!

I could use that old basket for my wargame scenery now, I tell you.

***** Late Edit *****

Since I promised, here's that picture of Trollope - by the way, his full name was Norris Kingstone Trollope, and he was born in Camberley, Surrey. Kashie threw him out in 1908, so his basket was hanging around for a long time!


*** Even Later Edit ***

And here's an extract from a programme from the Prince of Wales Theatre, Cardiff, for a performance of "The Importance of Being Earnest" on 9th Oct 1939. This image kindly provided by Callum (see Comments). Kingstone seems to have worked a lot with John Gielgud at this time; it's a very heavyweight cast for a touring play!


*******************

 

10 comments:

  1. So you're your're saying one of ancestors was a trollop? oh sorry Trollope! Any connection to "the" Trollope? (Anthony, the famous author one)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting question - don't think so. I'm intrigued (in a vague sort of way) to note that a "Kingston Trollope" also appears to be a kind of postage stamp, and A Trollope the writer was, of course, an innovator in the postal service. Yes - too complicated, you're right. I was tempted to wonder whether the actor named himself after the postage stamp, but then his wife would no have been Mrs Trollope, would she? Or would she? These old boxes are dangerous.

      Delete
    2. The Prince of Wales Theatre in Cardiff
      https://twitter.com/callumcollins/status/1453717213530099718?s=21

      Delete
    3. Callum - thanks very much for the link - interesting! There are/were family tales of Trollope from his time with Kashie - apparently they lived for a while in Wallasey - there were relatives there - and Kingstone used to go out for walks on a Sunday to Birkenhead Docks, in a white suit and a big hat, where he used to pick up anything he found - like bits of coal! Yes - quite so...

      Delete
  2. With a name like that you have to go a Googling don't you... :o))

    Looks like he was in the management line for a while as this shows him as the manager of an "electric theatre" in Leicester as well..

    https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/cameos-electric-theatre-lit-up-1398395

    The Importance of Being earnest was famous for an early appearance by Gielgud who also directed it... He seems to have latched on to Gielgud as he was also in his production of Hamlet in '39 (also with Jack Hawkins) where his name is spelt without the 'e'.. (http://www.phyllis.demon.co.uk/theatricalia/06lead/leadg-k.htm)

    Three years earlier I found "WALTER HACKETT, MARION LORNE [STARRING KINGSTONE TROLLOPE, ETHEL RAMSAY, DAPHNE SCORER, JOHN SNUGGS, LEONARD UPTON IN:]
    London After Dark: Souvenir Theatre Programme Performed at Apollo Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue, London
    Performance Programme Dated 1937. 1937"

    ..interesting stuff again! :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a good chap - thanks for this. If/when I find that old photo of my mum's I'll try and add it to this post. (I won't do a second feature on this lot, because I think I have another post about some other relatives brewing - out of the same box of papers...).

      Delete
  3. PS.

    https://theatricalia.com/person/kg7/kingston-trollope

    ..but by far the most interesting...

    https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/searchbna/results?memberlastsubclass=none&searchhistorykey=0&keywords=kingston%20trollope&from=1910&to=1949

    ...busy boy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff - the press items search is inflated a bit by events that happened - well, in Kingston - but there's a good number of interesting items. The "electric theatre" (= cinema) bit in Leicester reminds me that I found a history of the Liverpool Empire, which mentions Trollope's appointment as Stage Manager at a time when the theatre was converted to electric lighting, which was regarded as a huge attraction - people who lived by gaslight would come to the theatre just for the spectacle. It's a bit like that now in East Lothian.

      Delete
  4. https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/cameos-electric-theatre-lit-up-1398395

    ReplyDelete