Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Thursday 11 July 2024

Hooptedoodle #466 - Willie and the Bluetooth


 I was supposed to be busy spraying the drive this morning, but rain is forecast. Instead, I decided to phone my pal Willie, to see how he's doing, and if he fancies a spot of lunch at the pub in his village, since it is my turn to pay.

So I rang Willie. I took care to call his mobile, since he and his family have now had their landline phone removed (which is maybe something I should think about myself, though the potential hassle of having to inform the whole world of the change in my contact details puts me off).

Not for the first time, this was a more strange experience than I expected. Willie, you understand, is a big fan of new domestic technology, and is especially keen on spending his money on it, and talking about it in the pub. 

The phone rang, and Willie answered. His voice sounded very far away, and had a serious echo.

Willie - and I could only just hear him - said, "is that you Tony? - this is a terrible line - you are very faint. Do you want to try phoning me again?"

So I rang off, and tried again; same result. This time I could hear Willie, and my own voice delayed a couple of seconds, very faint and muffled.

It took a few moments, but I suddenly understood.

"Hi Willie," I heard myself say, somewhere in another galaxy, "am I, by any chance, speaking to your watch...?"

And, it transpired, I was. This has happened before; the only way out of this situation is for Willie to ring me back - that seems to work OK.

You may picture Willie, at home, with his iPhone in his pocket and his Apple Watch ready for action, listening to Earth, Wind and Fire (courtesy of his Apple Music subscription) on his Bluetooth Air Buds. When an incoming call arrives, all he has to do is press something (or other...) and the call will become the focus of world attention. Excellent. Problem is, Willie doesn't get very many calls these days, and his switchover needs more practice. I regularly find I am attempting conversation with some random device within his Bluetooth range.

He has made a hefty investment in a massive Smart TV, which is networked into his wi-fi, and from his phone he can access almost the entire back-catalogue of the world's movies and music - he has top-notch hi-fi speakers, too, so there is great scope for entertainment, all at the touch of a screen (or something). I'm sure that Mr & Mrs Willie get great value from all this kit, but I have to say that it has never actually worked in my presence. Perhaps my phone disrupted the network. Maybe it was just me. It could be the tin-foil in my hat.

I am not a non-believer, I hasten to add; sometimes I'm just a little slow to be properly impressed.


***** Late Edit *****

This morning, two days after this post, I drove to the post office in the next village, and, since they have a farm shop and tea-room on the same premises as the PO, I ordered myself a cup of hot chocolate and a bacon roll. The place was quite busy, so I took an empty seat at the last table in the row. I enjoyed my breakfast, but seem to have been singled out for some special treatment by the digital gods. Perhaps I should be more careful what I say. 

At the table next to mine were seated 4 visitors with backpacks and heavy boots, so I guess they were en route for Traprain Law, which would have been a squelchy and fairly hazardous climb in the pouring rain. They were holding a loud (and I thought rather competitive) debate about which phone app they found most life-enhancing; subsequently they moved on to apps they had downloaded but never used. This all went on for about 30 minutes, then they left. Presumably they continued to talk about this stuff while they scaled Traprain Law in the rain. I hope they had a mountain rescue app between them.

Seated at my table was a man with a big red beard, who was drinking a large mug of coffee, and he was fully absorbed in his phone - never spoke, which is fine with me. Whatever he was reading, he was also listening to music. I couldn't hear it - I must say these modern ear-buds are very cleverly designed to eliminated acoustic leakage - but I know he was listening to music because he tapped both feet and also whistled along with it, throughout my breakfast.


Of course, I should have brought along my own headphones, so I couldn't hear any of this, but there is something a bit wrong here, maybe? Anyway, I had a good laugh, at my own expense. Serves me right.

*********************

15 comments:

  1. One of the quirks of 'modern' life: everyone is entirely obsessed with their phone, but no-one wants to use it to actually speak to anyone..
    'Gen Z' is apparently terrified of making/receiving phone calls. Perhaps that is because, like your friend, they have no idea which device will ring..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there must be unfathomed advantages in being able to call someone from your tumble-dryer, or play ambient music on the microwave, but mostly it is confusing.

      Delete
    2. I'm in my 60s and I also hate it when people ring me up. 90% of them are scammers anyway. Messaging is so much more effective for the vast bulk of communications.

      Delete
    3. Martin - one problem with a voice call is that people expect you to be available to receive it, whatever you are doing, so messaging has an obvious advantage - you can pick them up later; except that a lot of people sending messages seem to get cross if I don't respond immediately!

      Since mobile phones are a major contributor to the horrifying productivity levels in the UK, I have little sympathy with any of this. Grumble grumble.

      Delete
  2. I think we all know someone who is overly linked to the web…
    Personally I don’t trust it…
    A watch is not a phone…
    Glasses are for looking through… not for changing channels.
    Televisions are for avoiding… especially if they answer back.
    The ‘Cloud’ is where rain comes from…

    Rant…Rant… Rant… 😡
    Now where did I put my Ned Ludd T- Shirt

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with all my heart - too many solutions looking for problems that may not exist.

      Delete
  3. I can't and won't buy into this Apple I phone crap. All the family swear by it. But no, not me, I shall remain with my android, at least I don't have to get a second mortgage to buy a new charger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, hear! But I can't help observing what a bunch of crabby old men we must look like to most of society, or what passes for society these days. Also, I think the current dislike for actually taking phone calls stems from an unwillingness to make a commitment - it's much easier to give an ambiguous answer in a text than in a conversation where the other person can just ask for clarification. OTOH, perhaps the ambiguity I perceive in messages is just an artefact of texting 'shorthand' together with a complete lack of punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL

      A further problem is uncontrolled predictive text in the hands of people with a limited attention span. The aforementioned Willie sent me a message not long ago which said

      "Ok see you in Thanet"

      which is still a complete mystery to us both.

      Oh yes, my phone tells me that Thanet is 452.8 miles away. You probably didn't realise that you wanted to know that.

      Delete
  5. Totally agree with you re Apple Ray - reminds me of the (in rather questionable taste) comment I heard from some comedian .... "People say that Steve Jobs died too soon. But I think it was a fitting metaphor for his company's attitude to battery life"
    The issue with predictive text is an almost daily one for me - I often have to correct a message and add "bloody (or more forceful expletive) phone!" to the correction. What I also find irritating is when I DO miss spell a word- uf instead of if, for example - the bstrd thing DOESN'T correct it ggggrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear. You may have awoken the political beast. I’d hoped to keep Monsieur Foy docile until Christmas. Ah well, we were warned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops - I didn't realise that comment had ended up here - I'll bury it. Very inappropriate...

      Delete
  7. Re: your postscript Tony: it seems to be the thing now on public transport in London (especially buses for some reason) to have phone calls with the speakers on so you get to hear both sides of the conversation. Also people play games with sound on and music without headphones on. I think I'll have to start sitting next to these people and playing Sami throat singing as loud as possible to see if they take the hint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this would be disappointing, but they might not notice. Having a conversation with the phone lying flat and horizontal, away from the mouth, and the speaker on seems to have its origins in the lockdown period - no idea why.

      Delete