Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Friday 22 October 2010

Home Brewed Flags - Kleve-Berg


I needed a flag for one of my new Peninsular War units - this is for the 2nd Battalion of the 3rd Infantry Regiment of Kleve-Berg, who in the Autumn of 1812 were part of Lamarque's Division of Decaen's Army of Catalonia, on counter-insurgency duty in Northern Spain. This doesn't sound like much of a great gig until you realise that all the rest of the Kleve-Berg units had been sent to Russia, so it could easily have been worse.

I thought it would be friendly to offer it here in case it is useful for anyone else. Usual drill - if you want a copy, please just click on the image to display the big version, then right-click on that and save it to wherever you want.

I wasn't keen on the available downloadable versions of Berg flags from the usual sites, so I constructed my own, for better resolution. This is the post 1809 version of the flag - I have printed mine at 18mm high for 1/72 scale, which looks OK, but I confess that I have no idea what size they were really. It was just gold on white - a lot less attractive than Murat's pre-1809 design, but you'd expect that. All units had the same flag, just overprint the numerals in the corners.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting - did they wear French uniforms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. French style - white uniforms with light blue lapels and facings - good plates on Histofig site at

    http://empire.histofig.com/-Infanterie,30-.html

    Only difference between infantry units was the pattern of the cuffs. Come to think of it, I wish I had noticed the quality of the flag on the Histofig plate before I started drawing up my own!

    Cheers

    Tony

    ReplyDelete