Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 6 June 2022

Lee's Painting Service - a word from our sponsors...

 Only about 30 months behind the trend, I have finally contracted Covid. I'm pleased to say it's a mild variant, and I expect to be OK in a week or two - mostly it's a nuisance, not to say a bit embarrassing - I have been very lucky. I feel rather like the kid who got the "regular attendance" prize at school, long after they had finished handing out the sporting and scholastic awards. 

I am isolated in the attic, so have no access to my main desktop computer or my photo-editing software. However, I thought I would have a bash on my old laptop to dedicate a quick post to my good mate Lee Gramson.

Lee has done a load of excellent painting for me over the years, and my armies would be shabbier and smaller without his contribution, so I am a loyal customer and a big fan. He tells me that he recently attempted to promote his painting service on a well-known military modelling and wargaming forum, but had his post removed for non-compliance with the house rules. Seems a bit harsh, but this is a forum from which I and a couple of my hobby acquaintances were chucked out a few years ago for daring to dispute the owner's Jurassic views on plagiarism law. Just shows how little I know.

Anyway, I thought I'd like to recommend Lee's work to anyone who is interested. He's a great brushman, he's obliging and helpful and a genuinely lovely bloke, and his pricing is fair and competitive.

You'll find the details on his blog here. Please check him out.

This is the latest of the 20mm WSS batches Lee has done for me - note that the gloss varnish and the Old School basing are eccentricities of my own house style - Lee is more than happy to do more normal stuff than this!


16 comments:

  1. An absolutely top bloke who also did great work for me too. I have no hesitation in recommending him either! Hope you get better soon Tony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir - it's not the cough that carries you off, it's the coffin they carry you off in.

      Delete
  2. Covid-19? Oh that's so last year. Monkey Pox is where it's at this year. (Said the man who didn't catch Covid until March this year).
    Hopefully there are no long term effects Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told a friend that it wasn't too dreadful, but that I was fed up because I was more stupid than usual and keep falling asleep, and I was asked how could I tell?

      Delete
  3. I bet I can guess which forum that was .... Most people who mention it seem to have had a negative experience, particularly with the guy who runs it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know for a fact that a lot of the members are really nice guys, but they aren't the ones who dominate the bandwidth by (usually incorrectly) putting themselves forward as know-alls. I stay away these days, as part of my low-stress lifestyle...

      Delete
  4. Swift recovery Tony. As to Lee a top bloke he’s just about singlehanded painted my 15mm Edgehill project - photos soon I’m just making sure I have plenty more bits to keep him going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - me too - I have some more figures to send as soon as I'm fit enough to get them prepped - sneezing while holding a scalpel is not recommended.

      Delete
  5. I hope you get well soon Tony…
    To be honest this years Covid is so ‘on trend’… last years is just so passé.

    Lovely toys from Lee indeed…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly - it's just as well the pandemic is now officially stamped as FINISHED, because we know more people who have been ill with it in the last few months than at any time previously. Don't wish to cause a national panic here, but Stryker tells me his village shop had to close because of it. Good grief man - it's a disaster...

      Delete
  6. Hi Tony, so finally you too. It will pass soon and you can concentrate on painting figures and win your wargames.

    All the best
    Uwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - I get to win wargames? - that will be a new development - I'm all in favour of that!

      Delete
  7. Cheers Tony for that shining (glossy?) endorsement. It's a pleasure painting for you and over the last decade has produced some of my personal favourite units, I'm thinking of the three regiments of Napoleonic Peninsular heavy Dragoons in bicornes and certainly the WSS English Foot Guards.

    Agree re Covid, it's certainly going around still but most are no longer testing.

    All the best,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee does paint up a crackin figure, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drat and suble drat, Tony. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you got it Tony, but hopefully it has indeed proved mild. We've seen lots of it the past month, but fortunately very little severe illness.

    ReplyDelete