Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Saturday 2 November 2019

Hooptedoodle #349 - Donkey Award - Aviva

My mother (courtesy of my address) received a letter from Aviva Insurance last week. She has a whole-of-life assurance policy still in force - this policy was issued (I think as a contribution towards funeral costs) many years ago by Sun Life, whose business was absorbed by a succession of larger dinosaurs over the years, the current incumbent being Aviva.


The letter explained that this policy was to become free (i.e. no more premiums) since she is now 95, and that the cash-in surrender value would now be equal to the value on death. This is the same procedure we recently went through with Prudential - eventually these old "industrial" policies cost more to keep in force than they are worth to the insurer, so this is pretty much standard practice - except that the shut-off age is usually 90. My mother is currently paying £5.95 a month for this policy - at a rough estimate, she has paid about two-and-a-half times the death value in premiums over the years, but no matter - she is lucky to have lived this long.

I rang the customer help desk number given in the letter, and spoke to a very helpful chap who accepted that my mother was not well enough or aware enough to be able to write, nor speak on the phone, and that I had Power of Attorney (PoA) for her affairs (though I am not registered as such with Aviva). He also suggested that surrendering the policy now would be a smart move, since my mother's potential funeral costs are trivial compared to the cost of her care while she lives - and we agreed that I would send in my PoA documentation by registered mail, so that we may proceed with the surrender.

It cost me some £4.55 for a small parcel, to be signed for on receipt, and the PoA stuff went off to them with a covering letter and photocopies of the policy and their original letter. This morning the paperwork came back, with a letter (a standard letter with customer details inserted) which explains that the PoA material is not acceptable, for a whole pile of reasons - basically that the document must be either a signed approved copy or else the original.

Naturally one has to do these things correctly, but I'm well practised in this stuff - the Certificate of Registration I sent is a signed, approved copy and the PoA documents are originals - on the official OPG embossed paper. I believe it is completely legal - it has previously been accepted by HM Revenue and Customers, the State Pensions Department, two separate private pension funds of which my mother is a member, Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland, Trustee Savings Bank, Santander, National Savings and Investment, Prudential, East Lothian Council, and all manner of traders and utility suppliers my mother previously had accounts with. These documents have toured the UK over the last 10 years, at some expense.

What, you may ask yourself, is special about Aviva?

My irate descriptions of the company this morning may have included some potentially unusual elements - I fear I rather offended the Contesse with my views. I shall phone them on Monday, after my blood pressure medication, and see what we should do next. I am reluctant to send the documents again. The policy, I must add, is only worth some hundreds of pounds, so, since it will eventually become payable when my mother passes away I am tempted to forget about surrendering the policy. I'll try to phone them on Monday - see how it goes.

I suspect there is nothing very special about Aviva. I think it is likely that some dogsbody in Legal Life Services (so it says) saw the unmissable opportunity to get out of doing something by throwing the carrot back into the customer's court and - maybe? - to spoil someone's day while they were at it. I shall shrug this off. If Monday doesn't go well then I'll just forget the surrender offer - I'll check that the premiums stop, you bet. I'll write myself a note about what has happened, and dig the policy out when my mum dies.

If there was ever any remote chance of my ever doing business again with Aviva (after the house insurance pantomime...) then I guess it just vanished.


7 comments:

  1. Or perhaps they just received the documents on a Friday afternoon and didn't have time to check whether they were right or not before going to the pub, so just assumed they weren't.
    Good luck on Monday and be careful of the blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deal a lot with these companies. Aviva’s finest hour was surely their refusal to accept my fathers death certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I WAS, WELL SHALL WE SAY AMUSED, FOR LACK OF A MORE HONEST DESCRIPTION, BY YOUR LETTER STATING THAT A SIGNED, APPROVED COPY OR ORIGINALS OF THE DOCUMENTS IN QUESTION HAD TO BE PROVIDED, AS SUCH WERE ALREADY ENCLOSED. I TRUST YOUR LETTER REQUESTING THESE ITEMS, WHICH ARE ALREADY IN YOUR POSSESSION, WAS SIMPLY YOUR USUAL IDEA OF CUSTOMER SERVICE, WHICH I HAVE HAD OCCASION TO EXPERIENCE IN THE PAST. KINDLY PROCESS THE REQUEST FORTHWITH, SO THAT I MAY HAVE NO FURTHER OPPORTUNITIES TO ENGAGE WITH YOUR COMPANY EVER AGAIN."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frustrating but typical I guess. I managed to successfully close accounts with BT and SKY for my parents before I had POA which has always amazed me. However their pet insurance company refused to talk to me because "it contravened the dogs data protection" I kid thee not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My blood is boiling on your behalf. That sort of attitude really gets under my skin. It gives due and proper controls over business and bureaucracy a bad name and makes it easier for unscrupulous politicians to sweep away protection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a similar issue with an American investment company after my wife Kay died. The death certificate did not have a US social security number, though she had lived in Canada for 30 years and the funeral home properly listed her Canadian Social Insurance Number. It took me six months of fighting my way through the Franklin Templeton hierarchy to get them to accept the document. Hopefully you can make some calls and find a customer service person empowered and willing to make a decision in your favour. Life shouldn't be so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all gentlemen - I have drafted a letter, which is on about its 4th re-write - I started off by dropping all profanity or references to their parentage - that shortened it a bit. Then I removed the worst examples of sarcasm, which I discarded as inappropriate. It's quite a concise little note now.

    On Monday morning I'll try phoning their helpdesk again. If that doesn't go well, I'll send the latest version of the letter.

    If the amount were more substantial, I would consider getting the family lawyer to take issue with what looks pretty much like an attempt to play my enquiry with a straight bat. If I drop this matter, the policy will in any case have to pay out when my mother eventually passes away - though, of course, I have no guarantee that they won't come up with more bollocks to frustrate that as well. Perhaps they can't afford to pay us? - hmmm.

    I have no illusions about the finance industry - I have a working life as an actuary in an insurance company to look back on, and I've seen more shapes and colours of administrative stupidity than most of these customer service reps could imagine.

    ReplyDelete