A discursive look at Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, plus a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Thursday, 12 January 2012

New in The Cupboard

For me, the personalities in my wargames armies are important. It is always a source of extra satisfaction if there is a customised drummer in this regiment, or an odd figure with a bit of history in that one. One of my French infantry battalions, for example, has - completely out of context - a mounted officer from the first box of Airfix Waterloo French I ever bought. After a period when I have systematically cleared out and replaced all the figures which were substandard, and bought in all sorts of prestigious castings from Jorg Schmaeling and so on, I deliberately retained that one Airfix officer as a memorial to the early days of my armies, when Airfix formed most of what I had.

Non-regulation hat

In a similar vein, I am always on the lookout for unusual staff figures - it is not so easy to believe in your generals if they are all very obviously identical brothers, from the same mould. Here's a new chap - a French General de Brigade wearing an infantry shako - form your own explanation why he chooses to wear his lucky hat (or whatever) - this is clearly Hinton Hunt FN224 with a new head. I am reluctant to hack up old HH figures myself, but am always pleased to buy in conversions which someone else has done, to add variety - I like this little chap.


Late edit, to oblige Louis - as requested, here is the old Airfix mounted officer in the 2/27e Ligne. This entire brigade used to be Airfix - the officer must date from the very early 1970s - you will note that in those days I was keen enough to replace sword-blades with dressmaking pins. To heighten the contrast, I see that the Les Higgins rank and file are now augmented by distinctly up-market eagle-bearer and drummer from Art Miniaturen.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, he does have that certain something about him. Agreed.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. A commendable habit and one of the reasons I quite like Strelets variety in poses.

    I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of a French Guard Grenadier cavalry musician? Kennington don't do one and no-one else springs to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Kinch - I've never seen them, but Kennington FRC2 is the Command pack for the Grenadiers a Cheval, which must surely include a trumpeter, doesn't it? By Sod's Law, there is no picture on the MBM site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never mind yer poncey Hinton Hunt stuff - show us the Airfix officer. - Lou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very glad to see the old chap still in service. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

To avoid spam and advertising material, comments are moderated on this blog, and will appear once I have seen them.