Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Sunday 2 September 2018

Cuirassier Factory

An everyday story of refurbishment.

4 regiments smartened up and based, with gaps left for command figures, still to arrive.
The boys on the botttle-tops have not yet been varnished, just in case I need to change the facing colours
This started a few weeks ago when my old acquaintance Paul got in touch to say he had found some more Les Higgins/PMD Napoleonic French cuirassiers (he thought he had got rid of the last of his Napoleonic figures some years ago - his cupboards must be interesting). They were in reasonable condition, and was I interested?

Well, of course. Historically, I have not been very interested in cuirassiers, since I am a Peninsular War man, and I already have the 13th regiment, which has been all I need, really. However, I am now building a Bavarian army, suitable for the Danube and various other exotic Central European (and Russian) theatres, and also I now have friends who own Austrian and Prussian troops, so my appetites are widening. Also, Paul is a good painter, and his old toys are always an attractive proposition.

A deal was struck, and the soldiers arrived. Back in the day, PMD made a cuirassier trooper (NF33), but no command figures, though their dragoon trumpeter (NF32) is perfectly suitable for a job in the cuirassiers. No cuirassier officer, though. The figures I bought from Paul include a converted trumpeter, produced from a dragoon trooper, and an eagle bearer, also a conversion. I've changed the trumpeter's uniform pretty drastically, and the flag will have to go as soon as I arrange something better, but I'll use them both.

It will take a little juggling, but I'll have enough figures for 4 regiments, to provide a reserve cavalry division. I have ordered some packs of command figures from Art Miniaturen. How exactly the regiments will be staffed depends on whether I like the Art Mini eagle bearers. If I do, it's dead easy - just put the command figures into the empty spaces in the four based-up regiments as shown in their current-state photos.

The alternative is to omit the eagle bearers and make up the numbers by switching the remaining spare troopers (repainting facings as necessary) and just use the Art Mini officers and trumpeters.

The regiments I've selected are the 2nd and 3rd (red facings) and the 7th and 8th (yellow) - these facing colours will work for both the 1809 and the 1812+ periods. I'll paint the trumpeters in the earlier style (before the Imperial Livery), which, again, will suit either period.

I've put this project back in the cupboard until the Art Mins arrive. You should hear more about these chaps soon.


Digression: I was considering the word "refurbish", which I seem to use a lot these days, and wondered whether there was such a word as "furbish" - which, of course, there is. Maybe I knew that, but had forgotten. Anyway - the point is that I understand that furbish means "to renovate, polish, or return to new condition", which - confusingly - is what I think "refurbish" means. Does this mean that if you refurbish something you are furbishing it again? I shan't worry about this, but I'd be disappointed if I embarrassed anyone (especially myself) by getting it wrong.

19 comments:

  1. These are beautiful figures - whether furbished, refurbished, unfurbished or just simply 'bished'.
    I do love the casts - though the perennial issue of them staring off to the right or left, rather than concentrating on their driving, and keeping an eye on the road, is something that irks me about the sculpts on plastic figures too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim Richards' sculpts for PMD do a lot of this looking right. It does make the troops vulnerable if attacked from their left flank. I only tolerate the synchronised prancing horses because they are sort of established Old School. I'm not sure, but I heard that Les Higgins and PMD used pewter for their miniatures, and this required strict simplification of the mould lines in the day - maybe the same issues which apply with plastics now?

      Delete
  2. Whatever you've done to them they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt - command figures should be filling the gaps any day soon.

      Delete
  3. I thought perhaps that to "fur"bish them would have meant replacing the helmets with bearskins or busbies.

    However, I am reminded that I am not master of even my own language and there are words, even old words, that are unknown to me. In my defence the all knowing net tell me it is rarely used in North America. As far as I can see the words are largely used as synonyms but that furbish was originally to clean up and touch up something, like you have done but refurbish would be essentially yo strip something down, repair or replace what needed it and then refinishing it from scratch, so perhaps stripping the paint off and redoing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a sensible distinction - thanks, Ross. Personally, I usually refer to fettling and tweaking figures, so I avoid the vocab uncertanty as much as possible.

      Delete
  4. These heavy cavalrymen will make great additions for the Danube theater. No love for the orange and pink faced units of the later years? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confess I was surprised to learn that the regulations changed in 1812 - I'm always looking for date compromises (not that it matters!) choice of units I have made works correctly for both sets of regs. In fact one of these units I have refurbed had pink facings (though red turnbacks), so this was a considered decision. I already have the "wine lees" 13th, and one of them is probably going to have to convert to yellow to make room for a new Art Mini officer.

      Delete
  5. They are lovely, Foy.
    Does this new focus on central Europe and Russia mean lots of guard regiments too? I do hope so.
    Best regards
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, yes. The refurb queue also includes a couple of battalions of Old Guard, and I've bought in Art Mini command groups for those as well. There is also a reported sighting of Red Lancers, but they may be a while away yet. Loads of French line infantry, of course, and a Swiss battalion for some reason.

      Delete
  6. No need to have a reason for a Swiss battalion, who wouldn't want at least one red unit in a French army? I am looking forward to chasing all these new recruits along the Danube soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mon cher Baron - I have seen your Swiss in action - in fact I have had the honour of commanding them on occasion. "Brave but doomed" is a phrase that comes to mind. In fact the Swiss are OK for Spain anyway, so I'll be happy to have them along.

      Delete
    2. May I remind you of a quote from the film Waterloo.

      When you meet a cuirassier beam-to-beam, you'll be lucky if you bring away your life with you, never mind his helmet. Boy, you'll learn the art of fighting from the French.

      Ian your Austrians may end up doing the running.

      Foy - the spruced up Cuirassier are looking good. Are you going to do any Saxons?

      Delete
    3. Mark - I have some Saxon infantry which I am hoping to build into a 2-battalion regiment - they are not dressed for the Danube, being be-shakoed post-1810 boys, but they may sneak into the action if necessary. That's the limit of my Saxon plans at present. I'd be more interested in Wurtemburgers I think, because of their involvement close to the Bavarois in 1809. Saxons were with Bernadotte? - altogether now - hiss! boo! However, my brain is full of Bavarians.

      The quote from Waterloo was followed by a reference to dancing in a field with the French, as I recall. General Picton made no mention at all of the change in the cuirassier facing colours, so how could I be expected to know about it, I ask myself?

      Delete
  7. A most impressive force of cuirassiers Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - they should be good. I'm becoming a sort of retirement home for other people's old figures - a lot to be said for it!

      Delete
  8. This furbishing is excellent and makes me feel very gruntled. I have quite a few of these figures but turn their heads eyes front with a pair of pliers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good heavens - is that allowed? I wish I'd thought of that before they were painted!

      Delete
    2. I did a lot of head turning/twisting with the Hinchliffe ECW's, dropped them into hot water for a few minutes before applying the pliers around a piece of rubber for protection, I was surprised how far I could turn them without damage! Yours look fine though as they are :)

      Delete