Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Thursday 27 September 2018

Another Bavarian Paint Test - 5th Line Infantry


Time for another test figure for my first Bavarian Division - this is a fusilier of the 5th Line Infantry Von Preysing. Once again this is a Der Kriegsspieler casting, but this time it's a slightly different pose - this is the first one I've done from the DK set 175 "advancing"; the previous line infantry figures tested and painted up have been from set 174 "at ready" (which, confusingly, looks very like the Hinton Hunt "charging" pose).


I was nervous about the pink facing colour - I've used Foundry's Nipple Pink [yes, all right, thank you - calm down now]. It worked out better than I expected. This unit has a rather unusual uniform. The good news is that there is no piping around the lapels or the collars, which simplifies things a lot, but the pink is potentially a bit weird with the red turnbacks, cuff piping and shoulder strap piping. The shades chosen seem to work OK - the red and the pink are clearly different. This pose has a rather more open stance than, and looks a bit more slender than, set 174.

Current record of getting units finished after production of a test figure is good - really much better than I had expected. Once this regiment is painted (maybe a month or 6 weeks?), there is one line regiment still to do for this Division (10th LIR), then there are two cavalry regiments, a horse battery, a foot battery and some staff. That sounds like a fair amount of work - especially since I am busy refurbing various French units as well - but I'm keen to keep cracking on.

The cavalry will be Hinton Hunt OPCs, with various conversions and (probably) a few Garrison horses drafted in. The artillery will almost certainly be SHQ (I'd have loved some FranzNaps for this, but they're expensive and tricky to get hold of). I have a very limited range of general officers available at the moment, and no ADCs at all, so some creativity is needed here. There is a chance that General Deroy may be in a carriage - still thinking about this.

8 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Hagen Miniatures site for Franz Naps ?
    I recall they also dobBavarian mounted officers. You can convert from the French HH opc mounted general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart looking fellow. I used '18B Shadow Pink' for my Poles which also worked well and is slightly less embarrassing to blog about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is very handsome. Nicely done.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely colour combination...

    But if my nipples were that shade I would go to the doctor ...:-0

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all gentlemen - I never got back to this post until now - 3 days later. Apologies for lamentable attendance record. I'd bring a note from my mum, but I can't think of an excuse, other than that I seem to have been a bit busy, and the internet has been switched off more than usual. Don't ask "busy with what?" - I have managed to avoid cutting the lawn again - better get that done for Tuesday, when the gardener comes. If the gardener finds I am backsliding on the mowing i'll get all sorts of contempt. In odd moments I have been doing some work on the missing command figures for my unscheduled French cuirassier division - looks like a wargame coming up later next week, so that's a good reason to get those sorted out. A very good reason - I'm looking forward to that.

    One interesting challenge has been to do some horse swaps so that the cavalry commanders look as though they are travelling at the same speed as the troopers. Interesting - I managed to swap 4 or 5 bare-backed Art Miniaturen horses from the packets in the queue - there is no need for a general officer to be galloping, so a few of them have calmer horses now, and their animated mounts have been drafted into the heavy cavalry. I gave a Higgins/Phoenix trumpeter a 20mm Garrison horse - not because I needed to, but for a bit of variety. Of such important decisions does retirement consist.

    I've also managed to take advantage of a couple of sunny mornings, reading in the attic, which is one of my favourite places when it's tidy enough to get in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had those same DK figures in my collection for many years, until I replaced them with Foundry about 20 years ago. I have this unit as well, with a slightly different take on the pink facings, but regardless, I think the shade works pretty well with the cornflower blue jackets.
    https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/2012/09/bavarian-infantry-of-napoleonic-wars.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to tell after all these years, but I saw examples of this regiment's uniforms - both museum exhibits and modern reconstructions - in Bavaria a few years ago - I'm happy this pink is pretty close!

      Regards - MSF

      Delete