Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 22 January 2020

WSS Project - Some Bavarian Heavy Cavalry


More units smartened up and re-based - here are the Cuirassier regiments Arco (front, blue facings) and Weichel (rear, red). The 20mm figures are all 1970s Les Higgins castings, with a few additions from Old John, who still markets these old figures. Building up the armies continues - next up is to prepare missing mounted colonels for a bunch of infantry units, then the Bavarian artillery, then the dismounted companies for 3 dragoon regiments, then I shall continue to crack on with the infantry and cavalry (of which there is a lot).



It's not quick, but it's going nicely - first objective is to build a couple of approximately equal armies, so I can get on with playtesting. Watch this space...

16 comments:

  1. Those look great Tony, always good to have some heavies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian - as you know, I never go anywhere without my heavies.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Jon - I did a bit more retouching to these chaps than some of the previous units.

      Delete
  3. Impressive looking cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee - I'm still scratching around looking for a choice of general officers!

      Delete
  4. A good idea - these are units I need in my armies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best Uwe - I guess the Bavarians only had 4 regts to choose from!

      Delete
  5. The very same two regiments I have in my project.. very nice.. !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Bavarians will also have two regts of dragoons (Monasterol and Santini) and a combined unit of guard cavalry. Any week now...

      Delete
  6. brilliant looking units, my compliments, lovely conversions for standard bearers, like the use of cuirassier officer in leading unit, think i'll do same !!!
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John - there was a bad moment during the conversion of the cuirassier officer into a standard bearer - his hand fell off! I realise that I should have done it slightly differently - anyway, I built him a prosthetic hand out of acrylic putty... No-one will ever know.

      Delete
  7. Very nice cavalry units Tony...
    Something I will need to add to my own WSS collection.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - as a first priority, I'm making use of the troops I have ready for refurbing - we're coming to the clever bit soon (I hope!). Idea is to get a couple of smallish armies up and running so I can try the rules.

      Delete
  8. Very nicely presented figures. John C has been in touch with me and I've been interested in his Les Higgins wss range as I begin to build up my armies in this period. Your figures have provided great inspiration!

    cheers

    Marvin

    https://suburbanmilitarism.wordpress.com/2020/02/09/firing-line-the-1st-foot-guards/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marvin - matter of personal taste, but you might find the Les Higgins Malburians a tad small to work with Strelets etc - interested to see how you get on! Cheers - MSF

      Delete