Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 10 December 2018

Same Old Painting Style, and a Brush(?) with Technology

Reports of my passing have been premature - I've been a bit preoccupied...

This afternoon I've finished off painting the mounted officers for my next Bavarian infantry regiment. These figures are new releases from Hagen, which turned out rather nicely, I think. They are uniformed as LIR 10, Junker.



Yesterday I visited the Stryker Estates, up in t'North, for a proper Old School style wargame, and very nice too. A new departure for us was live posting on Instagram - if I'd known I'd have arranged to take my make-up crew with me (my hairdressing people only work part-time now). The game was loosely based on Plancenoit, and finished as a draw, which surprised me since I had the impression all afternoon that my lot were getting thumped. Now that we have an international online audience available, it could be that a rematch will be almost as big a draw as the Fury vs Wilder refight. Stryker will have to get his advertising contracts dusted off.

General view early in the game
My French skirmishers were lethal
Stryker's splendid Old Guard - mine for the afternoon - pinned in square by Prussian uhlans - no-one came near them!
Excellent day, as ever - my thanks to Baron and Baroness S for their kind hospitality, and my compliments to Stryker and Goya for their company and the excellent toys. 

14 comments:

  1. Very good to see that you are still alive, Tony! I was beginning to wonder although I figured you must be on extended holiday.

    Your Bavarian mounted officers look quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still resisting Instagram (whatever it actually is). Why? I forget really........what was wrong with the telegraph anyway?

    However, the next day's Illustrated News looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ross - not for me - apart from anything, there'd be a rush of people leaving if I signed up. If the Good Lord had intended us to communicate online, he would never have given us BT Internet.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I have forsworn hexes. I am working on a roundshot bounce stick, a canister frame, a template for wheeling infantry and I may have to invest in a sandtable. I see it all now.

      Delete
  4. Superb.
    Proper old school, and t'ain't no mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great fun, but I do need special glasses for measuring things.

      Delete
  5. I too was surprised it was a draw as I thought the Prussians were a nose ahead until we totted up at the end. The added excitement of live transmission must have befuddled me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian - I've been trying to put a comment on your blog - no snub intended! I must learn more about this newfangled media stuff...

      Delete
  6. I was rather hoping the Instagram feed would include a pic of the generals, preferably in appropriate headgear.. it looked very good, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got off very lucky, I would say - Instagram are in enough trouble without frightening the public - even consenting members of the public. It was a really good day out, anti-social media notwithstanding!

      Delete
  7. The officers look very fine, and sounds like you both had an enjoyable game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good day - very lumpy dice-rolling - I was either very lucky or completely useless - nothing in-between.

      Delete