This is a first step at getting back to what passes for normal at Chateau Foy. Last game I played here was in January, when David Crenshaw visited, courtesy of Zoom. Since then there has been a stream of excuses - all good, but too many in number (check out this old post of mine, from back in the Dark Ages, for the theory). I lost weeks of late evenings, studying online the fine details of the Scottish Courts' guidelines for submission of probate on inherited estates, meanwhile we had decorators working here, so we had rooms out of action, and in addition I had persistent problems with my eyes - all very tiresome and not at all interesting. If you sampled the link above, you will observe the mystic count of three excuses...
The decoration is complete, Edinburgh Sheriff Court (Gawd bless them) finally became fed up with trying to think up new reasons to bounce my application, and relented, and my eyes are now improving - slowly but indisputably, so it has become time to get out the toy soldiers and see how it might go.
No problems at all. I took the opportunity to run a game to test some recent changes in my rules concerning the effect of fordable rivers and streams. I have had some concerns in this area for a while, and a solo game seems the right occasion to try this out. I can describe the testing very quickly - it worked well, the new rule changes produced no snags - all good, but I still have to say that the presence of a significant river - even a fordable one - does not enhance the excitement levels in the game!
The OOB for this game was the original one for my January Zoom game, or, rather, what that game would have featured if I had not cut it back a little because of time constraints.
There is no back narrative - it was just a solo test game - an encounter - 9 Victory Pts for the win. If you like OOBs, here it is.
French Army (Maréchal
de France Clément-Alibert, Comte de Rabachière)
(8 horse; 13 foot; 2 art; 5 leaders)
Bourgeois’ Cavalry Brigade [1] (Marquis de Bourgeois)
Gendarmérie de France (6 Sqns) (elite)
Régt de Grignand (3 Sqns)
Dragons de La Vrillière (3 Sqns)
Saint-Gervais’ Cavalry Brigade [2] (Marquis de Saint-Gervais)
Régt du Mestre de Camp (3 Sqns)
Régt de Lavallière (3 Sqns)
Régt du Roi (3 Sqns)
Régt de Tarnault (3 Sqns)
Pelletier’s Infantry Brigade [3] (Comte Pelletier de Montmarie)
Régt de Béarn (2 Bns)
Régt de Champagne (2 Bns)
Régt de Languedoc (1 Bn)
Régt du Dauphin (2 Bns)
1 field battery
Coustine’s Infantry Brigade [4] (Marquis de Coustine)
Régt de Navarre (2 Bns)
Régt de Poitou (2 Bns)
Régt de Saintonge (1 Bn)
Régt de Toulouse (1 Bn)
1 field battery
Allied Army (Lt Gen Charles Churchill)
(8 horse; 12 foot; 2 art; 5 leaders)
Pickering’s Cavalry Brigade [1] (Br Gen Sir Mortimer Pickering)
Cadogan’s Regt (3 Sqns)
Lumley’s (Queen’s) Regt (3 Sqns)
Schomberg’s Regt (3 Sqns)
Hay’s (Scots) Dragoons (3 Sqns)
Whitstable’s Cavalry Brigade [2] (Br Gen Lord Whitstable)
Wood’s Regt (3 Sqns)
Wundham’s Regt (3 Sqns)
Leibregiment zu Pferd (Hessen-Kassel) (3 Sqns)
Spiegel Karabiniere (Hessen-Kassel) (3 Sqns)
Cirencester’s Infantry Brigade [3] (Br Gen Earl of Cirencester) [3
Bns have battalion guns]
1st Foot Guards (1 Bn) (elite)
Duke of Marlborough’s Regt (1 Bn)
Chas Churchill’s (Buffs) Regt (1 Bn)
Ferguson’s (Cameronian) Regt (1 Bn)
Howe’s Regt (1 Bn)
Hamilton’s (Royal Irish) Regt (1 Bn)
1 field battery
Pentecost’s Infantry Brigade [4] (Br Gen Jan-Hendrik van Pentecost
(Dutch))
Lord Orkney’s (Royal) Regt (1 Bn)
Lord North & Grey’s Regt (1 Bn)
IR Leib zu Fuss (Hessen-Kassel) (1 Bn)
IR Erbprinz (Hessen-Kassel) (1 Bn)
IR Prinz Wilhelm (Hessen-Kassel) (1 Bn)
IR Stückrad (Hessen-Kassel) (1 Bn)
1 field battery
It 'worked well, the new rule changes produced no snags'—reeeeesult! It looked good, so reeeesult for us too, haha!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link to the three excuses rule. I don't recall seeing it 'back in the day'. Either way it was a ripper read and I laughed heartily!!
Really pleased to hear that your eyes are getting better. Of your three excuses that was the most troubling, so it's great that you are on the other side of it.
Best wishes, James
Yes, things went well. The change for the fordable rivers takes the rules back a little closer to the "Tricorne" originals - I had (of course) improved them a bit - many a road to hell is paved with good intentions.
DeleteWe all have fallow periods so congratulations getting back on the horse. I'm afraid when using units on Sabot bases I often take the lazy "turn it sideways" method for columns too. It looks fine from a distance.
ReplyDeleteMy sabots are topped with ferro sheet (the stuff that never quite replaced steel paper), which is painted baseboard green, and the figure stands have magnetic sheet attached. Nothing can go wrong, except that if they are not moved for a while, the magnetics tend to stick to the paint a little. [I really miss proper steel paper...]
DeletePleased to hear your struggles are largely behind you, but no doubt life will turn up some more.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the successful playtest, it's always a joy when you can improve your own rules, even better when it's also a simplification. I did scan your photos for sight of the super-large Gendarmérie de France (6 sqns instead of 3) but couldn't find them, do they operate as two 3-sqn 'wings'?
You have cracked it, Rob - in my armies large cavalry units consist of two identical halves, which are brigaded together - the Gendarmérie, if they show up OK, will each have a red counter attached, since they are an elite unit.
DeleteShould be fine just so long as you tell them to break step.
ReplyDeleteYes indeed - you have reminded me that I have terrible difficulty grasping the fact that at this date only the Swedes and the Prussians actually marched in step - everyone else sort of sauntered along at various speeds. It seems it caught on later.
DeleteGotta get me some swans.
ReplyDeleteSwans - fierce chaps, though I never met anyone who actually had his arm broken. Would you have to acquire a pond for your swans? I read somewhere that Mr Trump may have one going cheap (or squawk, I guess).
DeleteFor most of us that would mean buying some toy swans, but somehow Mark, I think you mean to expand your poultry flock.
DeleteChris - I just automatically assumed we were discussing real swans - des cygnes véritables. I would expect nothing else.
DeleteNice to see you back. was starting to get worried. Lovely looking game
ReplyDeleteThank you Ivan - some way to go with the eyes, but we now know what the problem has been, which is a big help.
DeleteVery nice looking game Tony. I'm impressed that you can play something that size solo as I never seem to get around to doing the same despite the permanent table! Are the rules 'finished' now?
ReplyDeleteMy games are loaded with counters and direction pointers to keep me right (which partially makes up for my lack of memory), so I just have to keep myself organised and the game jogs along. My rules are working well now, but they are only finished until something needs fixing - a living document? You have met with the cubes-in-a-bucket system for activation, which speeds things up nicely.
DeleteLovely look to the game, and it seems like the testing answered most of your questions!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear things are looking up overall!
Hi Peter - the rule changes were mostly a simplification, which makes things straightforward. Units entering fordable water must stop; if they are already standing in the water, the only permitted moves are onto dry land (which may require going back to where they came from, and prevents units moving or attacking along the river). Also you can only move on to or off a bridge via an end!.
DeleteGreat news about the eyes and another lovely looking battle between blokes with "big hair".
ReplyDeleteThanks Matt - the eyes have been a nuisance both to me and everyone else; if I can get to a stage where I can rely on being able to drive without problems I hope to be able to shut up about them now!
DeleteThe big-hair blokes just said, "where the heck have you been?" in assorted languages, but they seemed to remember how to play.
Good to see you back at it Tony, and to hear that your travails have lessened.
ReplyDeleteHi Chris - it will take a month or two to get back to the man I used to be, but the direction is set!
Delete