Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 20 March 2024

WSS: A Little More Allied Horse

 Proper painting of fresh castings, this time - definitely all me own werk.

I'm using shorter sessions now, out of kindness to the old peepers, so this batch took a day or two longer than I planned, but I'm pleased with them. Nice and shiny, Old School toy soldiers.

These are a couple of regiments of cavalry from Hessen-Kassel, to support the new infantry brigade.

 
Leib zu Pferd

 
Spiegel

Hessen-Kassel is an interesting nation in this context. The Landgrave has not pitched in his army on the side of the Grand Alliance; well, not necessarily so. These two units were paid, equal shares, by the British and Dutch armies, so strictly speaking they appear as mercenaries.

More than welcome, however. As ever, the figures are mostly Les Higgins 1970s castings; the command figures are Irregular, which gives a decent scale match and a bit of welcome variety, though the horses are all Higgins.

The lads are now in the duty boxes, getting to know their colleagues.

14 comments:

  1. Splendid. Can’t understand why you ever outsourced your painting when you can produce stuff as good as that. You and Aly are the kings of shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work as always, two very nice units. The Irregular figures are a very decent match for the Higgins troopers, work well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Tony…
    Classic shiny toys at there best…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid and a wonderful bit of viewing and vicarious delight.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all, gentlemen, for kind and supportive comments!

    The chief reason I have used pro painters in the past, apart from the fact that they were usually far better than me, is that I was always bloody slow - I got good results, but it took me ages! These days, somehow there seem to be less demands on my time, so I can work at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I received an email from Graham S, suggesting that it must be about time to do some more army photos. Could well be. I am also reminded that it is a while since I had a go with my lightbox, so I should try for some decent photos of generals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A marvellous addition to your impressive collection - but don't think they should be called mercenaries. They served their monarch, if he chose to take 'subsidies' and in return sent them fight for others then that's his call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob - interesting distinction on definition - fair enough!

      Delete
  8. More nice work Tony - you’re well into this gloss varnish thing now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian - yes the World of Gloss is a way of life, and I'm enjoying it. I don't think I'd try to do Vietnam in gloss, but these WSS chaps of mine are proud to be toys!

      Delete
  9. Very nice addition to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely figures as ever Tony, proper 'old school' !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, gentlemen - I have now established, at least from my own point of view, that I am doing this on purpose. As I said to a friend recently, I get a major buzz out of doing it all wrong, to the highest possible standard.

    ReplyDelete