Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Saturday 9 March 2024

WSS: After You with the Sticking Plasters

 A couple of years ago, while setting up a little photo-shoot with my British WSS army, I managed to break off an officer's sword blade. These are Les Higgins figures, and the bayonets and swords are famously fragile, so I did a patch-up job with superglue, and got my photos taken.

I have always known that I'll have to make a better job of the sword repair, but to tell the truth I rather lost track of which unit it was. They all looked reasonable, and there is always a small chance that a quick repair might last indefinitely...

Nah - I didn't really believe this, and this afternoon, while I was sorting out the troops for what will be the last battle in my current campaign. it was suddenly made clear to me which sword blade it was, as it fell off again! 

Righto - today was the day fate had lined up for the proper repair, before I managed to lose the detached blade (it has happened), so I drilled out the officer's hand, carved a little tang on the hilt-end of the blade, and superglued it in properly. Job done. I still have to touch up the varnish a bit, once the superglue is cured, but I'm pleased with the result. The boys are all ready for a fight tomorrow.

 
Grenadier stand of Scrope Howe's Regt, now repaired. The extra superglue is a bit obvious, gleaming on the officer's hand, but I'll sort that out later, once I am confident I am not going to wreck an expensive brush with superglue which hasn't cured yet!

The campaign is very close, but the last battle is tomorrow evening, and it's a 3-pointer, so the winner of this battle will definitely win the campaign. I shall write up some form of report (unless I lose, of course).

8 comments:

  1. Nice job, I just can’t seem to get swords or bayonets to fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricky fellows - I find bayonets next to impossible. Note the grenadiers limbering up for their traditional duties (a bit old hat).

      Delete
  2. Ah, jobs a good un'! I had a similar experience with an Austrian Hussar who broke two legs. When I got around to a proper fix it was quite satisfying drilling out the base and legs and glueing togther with a bit of wire - he's now the strongest trooper in the regiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a job worth doing, but I always put it off because each time I cannot believe that it is going to work yet again. I have a NapoleoN Miniatures figure - long OOP - which I use as General Maucune - he had a nasty fall some years ago, and the horse is secured to its base only with superglue, but the NapoleoN horses are so elegant that I doubt I could actually drill the fetlocks (fetlocks? - you know, ankles!), so I am still putting it off.

      Delete
  3. I will be waiting with my mug of coffee and a biscuit for the AAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pressure, then! Best wishes to you Matt.

      Delete
  4. Great job; like Norm I have had little success repairing broken swords and especially bayonets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times when I have a secret hankering for S-Range Minifigs - the bayonets and swords may be well overscale, but there is no chance of their breaking!

      Delete