Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 1 July 2019

French Refurb Project - The Gonsalvo Battalion

This is a bit late on my part - these chaps arrived a few weeks ago, and my efforts to base them up have been somewhat delayed - for one thing, I was busy doing Real Life stuff again, for another [mumbles in embarrassment...], I had carefully ordered up a new batch of 50x45mm bases from Tony Barr at ERM, in advance of the recruitment of extra battalions. Tony sent them off promptly, as ever, but I carefully and thoughtfully stored the package of fresh new MDF biscuits away in a well-thought-out location, forgot where that was, and couldn't find it until a few days ago.


Oh well.

Anyway, here we have the 2nd battalion of the 26eme Ligne, very kindly painted up for me by The Bold Gonsalvo. I'm very pleased with them, and grateful to all three of my recent guest painters who have contributed so handsomely to my Refurb effort. Thank you, gentlemen. It is a privilege and a pleasure to be able to call on reserve troops painted by friends - adds a whole extra dimension to my armies.

Castings are old Les Higgins for the most part, circa 1973 - the mounted officer and the drummer are by Art Miniaturen, the porte-aigle by NapoleoN 20. Pretty much the standard mix for the current Refurb push. These chaps, Bavarian scenery notwithstanding, are destined for Ferey's 3rd Division of the Armee de Portugal, but will be more than capable of serving gallantly in a variety of theatres, of which the Danube campaign is certainly one.

6 comments:

  1. Nothing quite like a newly (re-) painted unit of French infantry!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonsalvo has done a cracking job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see the lads out to take the air. "You know, sir, Bavaria is lovely this time of year. Not at all like that nasty, hot, dusty weather in Spain..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm slow on the uptake, but over the last couple of posts it's struck me how well your green bases set off the figures.

    Also the hue of your lawn is a good match for the bases. A slightly darker shade than the bases, but we all know how you have to go lighter for a smaller scale.

    ReplyDelete