Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 3 June 2019

A Tale of Two Flags


Yesterday was a flagging day, which means I was involved in attaching a flag to a new unit. I keep stocks of my home-printed flags, and fitting them is not complicated, but it does require some care, because it is very easy to mess it up. And I do mean a mess. Water-based glues and ink-jet printed flags are a potent mixture, especially if you have fingers like elephants' feet.

Thus my stock of flags includes enough extra copies to allow for the odd failure.

Since I had the flagging kit out anyway, and since I have now (at long last) produced a correct flag for the Régiment de Prusse (4eme Étranger), I thought I might as well invest in a little drop of creeping elegance, and replace the flag for that unit. A tale of yesteryear beckons...

The fact that I have a Napoleonic army at all has a lot to do with the OOB for the Battle of Salamanca, which has always been a central inspiration. I'm not sure exactly when, but maybe 10 years ago I was tempted by mention of the Regt de Prusse in that OOB - admittedly only a residue of 80-odd men by 1812 (in Brennier's [Taupin's] 6th Divn), but that was enough of an excuse to encourage me to paint up a battalion of something (anything?) to provide a little variety among the otherwise relentless blue and white of the Armée de Portugal.

At this time NapoleoN Miniaturas had released their pack of "Allied Infantry", which basically represented Confederation troops in Spain during the 1808 period. These chaps are in moderately scruffy campaign dress, with covered shakos and rolled overalls. I painted them in the dark green of the Foreign regiments - the Prussians had red facings, silver lace and rank insignia. They also had, I had read, a non-standard flag - it was 162cm square instead of the normal 80cm for a French 1804 flag - and it had a spearpoint finial instead of an eagle. This was all faithfully reproduced in my little battalion.

A couple of asides here.

NapoleoN Miniaturas are sadly missed nowadays, but their figures are an odd mixture, ranging in quality from the exquisite to the downright agricultural. This is probably not unconnected with the fact that they had two master-makers, one of whom was a very talented sculptor and one of whom was the owner. Interestingly, a close parallel might be argued to have existed at Falcata, around the same time, and maybe even Les Higgins (much earlier). Whatever, the Allied Infantry set was not one of NapoleoN's best. In particular, there was an officer on foot, marching, wearing a bicorn with an oilskin cover - I've seen the same JM Bueno plate as the sculptor obviously had, but the hat is so blatantly made of a folded newspaper that I omitted this particular officer from the unit.

As originally recruited, with big flag. Both the photos in this post look a bit washed-out - the reds are proper reds in real life. The figures are from the NapoleoN "Allied Infantry" set, with the mounted and foot officers from Kennington - the foot officer at the end of the 2nd rank was drafted in to replace the man with the newspaper hat.
The authentically oversized flag I produced looked - well, daft. I've always been a bit touchy about it. If anyone were ever to comment on it, I had even memorised the references in Dempsey's Napoleon's Mercenaries so I could justify it! This is an area where I am a tad fussy. Stupid really, since my French army includes Les Higgins figures sporting 1806-style queues but wearing square-lapelled Bardin-type habits, not to mention Garrisons with high gaiters and the same late-model coat. Many of my British infantry strut happily around the Peninsula, wearing their Waterloo shakos. My armies are full of howlers, inconsistencies and known inaccuracies. I gloss over them all, but I do like the flags to be reasonable.

The infamous Bueno drawing of Confederation troops in Spain, featuring the officer in the newspaper hat
One trend in wargame armies which I have not approved of over the last couple of decades has been caricaturisation (if there is such a word). Beautifully- painted 28mm figures with grotesque faces, huge hands, outsize heads, giant muskets - OK - that's all down to the sculptors; there has also been a move to crazily-oversized flags. The French flag of 1804, let us remember, was 80cm square. If your French army has lovely flags which are 6 feet square in scale then that is your taste and your choice - no problem - but to me that looks daft. Thus my big Regt de Prusse flag, authentic or not, has troubled me.

With replacement (regulation) flag. Of course, it may be incorrect now. Hmmm. Must give the flag a little curl. Flags which look like hatchets are not cool.

Yesterday I replaced it. It no longer looks daft, I think - of course, it may be incorrect. I'll have to worry about that for a while now...

If I change it back then I promise I won't mention the fact.

***** Late Edit *****


By special request, for Liverpool Dave, here's another dodgy photo of one of my Confederation battalions. This time these are Badeners (alas the Baden infantry in Spain did not wear the fabby helmet) - the newspaper hat is in evidence on the left end of the second row. 

*******************

14 comments:

  1. And just what's wrong with newspaper bicorne hats sir? I'll have you know I shall be wearing one (facing fore and aft) the next time I play Galleys and Galleons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem with that at all, sir. Some papers must exist only with the Express purpose of sticking them on your head, it seems to me. As long as you try to keep out of the S*n.

      Delete
  2. For some reason my comments failed to appear. I use Inkjet flags, I fold them down the flagstaff, pinch the ends when lined up and push another fold at the staff edge to lead a crease. I use a pritstik on one half, press them together and slide them up asap so they line u the edges. I then apply a tine amount of glue to the staff, slide the flag over the pole and press the two halves together with a wide pair of tweezers so its tight around the flagstaff. End results here. Drew https://drewjarman.blogspot.com/2019/01/15mm-british-napoleonics-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice - the prit stick is a clever touch. I use PVA - I also design my own flags, mostly.

      Delete
    2. So do I especially for lots of my ancients figures. Sometimes you cannot find suitable flags anywhere at a sensible price.

      Delete
  3. That's great - I thought I was the only one who didn't like the current fashion for oversized flags.
    That said, they look great to me in the 'before' pic. I always think the French colours are a bit stingy compared to the 6'6" British jobs being brandished at them from across the valley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flag looks rather spiffing me thinks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your attention to detail is admirable. The number of changes to uniform and equipment during the period seems to make it a bit of a minefield for someone concerned with realism. I only truly realised this recently, when I was reading through the Plastic Soldier Review web site looking at sets depicting Napoleonic French infantry, the way you do. What with the different combinations of headgear, gaiter length, jacket type, shako badge etc it seems consistency is very rarely achieved. The reviewer however made the point that a degree of inconsistency might be more acceptable in the context of the Peninsular War, the theatre being in many ways a backwater where older regulation dress/equipment might linger on alongside newer issues. Maybe you can justify some of your inaccuracies that way?

    I rather like the newspaper hat and would have been curious to see the figure. I also like how the soldier to the left of the newspaper-hatted officer has patches on his knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are no safe ground with the PSR - never been known to make a mistake. Remarkable. And still the wonder grew.

      As you say, the Peninsular War was a bit of a shambles in matters of supply and compliance with the regs. The further the distance from the Emperor, the greater the degree of pragmatism.

      In truth I no longer attempt to justify the inaccuracies among my troops. If anyone points out an error, I just smile patiently - I've practised it in front of the bathroom mirror for many hours. It's a special "anyone who knows anything realises that the 76eme Ligne in 1809 always wore jackets that hadn't been designed yet" smile - no need to say anything - a slight raising of the eyebrows is OK, but mustn't be overdone. One thing you must never do in any circumstances is try to find out anything on TMP. You will become terminally depressed.

      The Bueno plates are always good value - I believe one of my other Confederation units has such an officer present - I'll check - if I find a pic of him in my catalogue I'll add it as a late edit.

      Delete
    2. That was supposed to say "on safe ground", by the way. I don't want any trouble with the PSR. We've already got a US carrier moored off the beach here after my reference to Mr Dump's fat lip (see previous post...).

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the late edit. It's always interesting to see some variety. The shako seems pretty ubiquitous among Napoleonic wargamers, you don't seem to see an awful lot of bicornes, despite their prevalence in the early Napoleonic period - maybe people just think shakos look a bit more Napoleonic? And still less forage caps, bonnets de police, pokalems or any of that malarkey. I remember when still young coming across a picture of a 'Marie Louise' conscript in a pokalem and thinking, that can't be right, they all wore shakos, surely...

      Yes, entirely agree on the inadvisability of asking anything in TMP, it seems threads that start out with innocent queries end up with froth-flecked Napoleonic enthusiasts tearing into each other like rabid dogs. The internet is a strange place, everyone is so angry all the time; I certainly never knew Napoleonic war forums could be places of such ferment.

      Delete
    4. Marie Louises with pokalems? My word, they were lucky. I believe some of them served in the clogs they arrived in from home. In my day, we lived in a cardboard box etc.

      The Internet - sadly the guys who spend most time online getting angry are mostly those who are not required to contribute anything to the world otherwise. Marginalised. Self-perpetuating circle. The worst thing of all about this is that it probably applies to me these days...

      Delete
  6. Flags and lads look lovely, Tony. I feel convicted now, because some of my figures (ACW collection) carry gigantic banners from commercial vendors (eg, GMB) into battle on crazy long North Star wire poles that are proabably 25' high in scale related to the figure of the bearer. Looks grand on the tabletop but quite unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you, Mike - may your boys carry their big flags with pride!

      I always have a laugh at myself when I get into discussions of realism - a late friend of mine used to deflate my pontifications by saying, "let's get this straight... you wish us to understand that you think two dozen toy soldiers on a square board looks realistic?" - and there would be a call for more beer.

      Looking grand on the tabletop is really where it's at.

      Delete