A discursive look at Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, plus a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Hooptedoodle #50 - Armagnac de Montal 1965


That one there's the rarest, the De Montal '65.
I was given two bottles years ago, when my father was alive,
On a very special birthday, and I’ve kept it just that way –
For family celebrations, or when old friends came to stay.

Take out the cork, let's try some, just a little taste,
A drop of something cherished in a world that’s gone to waste.
That scent of ancient sunshine - it's strange to call to mind
That I was still a schoolboy when those grapes were on the vine.

And now there's half a bottle left, it’s hardly used at all;
I was saving it for something, but what I can’t recall.
Hooptedoodle 50? – any lame excuse will do!
Let’s drink it down, have done with it, and buy in something new.

Cheers! - MSF

4 comments:

  1. Good idea! I understand it tastes better when you're alive and well, but can't vouch for that.

    ReplyDelete

To avoid spam and advertising material, comments are moderated on this blog, and will appear once I have seen them.