Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Monday 3 October 2022

WSS: British Command Group - Eventually!

 It's taken me a while, but I've finally painted up some companion figures to complement the splendid British General that Aly Morrison painted for me last December. So, suitably varnished and based, here they are.



The riders are all Irregular figures. The Commander's horse is an OOP Morion 30YW casting, the other two horses are by Les Higgins. The Commander has been sitting on a temporary single stand since December (he did get a walk-on role in my Battle of Ober Eschenbach, however, in May), so that's another worthwhile tick in a box.

Thanks again to Aly, of course, and to Old John for the Morion horse. The trumpeter is straight from the pages of Osprey's "Marlborough's Army". Once again, I am reminded that I must set myself up with a proper light-box and take some better photos of these armies!


***** Late Edit *****

Further to comment from David (below), here are the existing Command stands with flags for the Bavarians and Austrians. Nothing very clever!



*********************

14 comments:

  1. Superb stuff. The Irregular minis do have a certain style, but they have character, which looks good on the table I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, M le Duc; there is a certain Feng Shui here - the trumpeter is straight out of the Osprey book, and when you look at the Irregular casting of the trumpeter, he may well be taken from the same illustration!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic looking command team, these will inspire your troops to victory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willz - the lads will be raring for a fight.

      Delete
  3. Like these at least the General now has a suitable entourage to accompany him on his march to victory. I quite like the Irregular minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy with his hat off is obviously just a sycophantic son of the nobility to carry the drinks orders; the trumpeter's black horse, as I say, is lifted from the Osprey book - there's no risk that the trumpeter is going to upstage the gaffer's horse!

      Delete
  4. They are lovely, great work all round, your own and Aly's, a cracking command stand, top notch! Irregular do have some wee gems in their catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irregular figures have turned out to be much more useful than I first expected them to be - many's the time I'd have been stuck without them. Thanks Donnie.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work. It's a pity that in that period they don't tend to have command stand flags, though... ;-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. In fact I do have a little "national" banner for my Bavarians and Austrians, since otherwise it's not too obvious who they are. I'll try to tack on a Late Edit to show them - very humble stuff, by the way!

      Delete
    2. Ah, right - look forward to seeing that! :-)

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete
    3. I think the banners look pretty good! Thanks for showing them.

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete
  6. These are all most attractive, Tony! Fine work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - I had a lot of soldiers waiting for someone to tell them what to do, so this is a catch-up job!

      Delete