Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Friday 21 August 2020

WSS: Cheap & Cheerful - "Limbered" Markers

 It became obvious during my recent playtest session for my WSS rules that something needed to be done about artillery limbers - there aren't any in the game, and my batteries (unusually for me) each consist of only a single gun. I had thought in general terms that I could merely place the gun back to front and that meant it was limbered up. Certainly I have no appetite at all for building proper limber teams, but the back-to-front convention proves to be untrustworthy, and it looks daft anyway.

So I've come up with a cheap, easy solution; there are now markers which can be placed next to the gun when it is limbered up - the gun has to be reversed, so that the trail is towards the horses, but it is now obvious what is going on, and in which direction the contraption is travelling. 

At first I thought, "Oh gosh, I'm going to have to get proper limbers, in 20mm scale, and that means they will have to be painted correctly for each nation - oooh - etc etc". Further, since cannon in the early 1700s each weighed about as much as your average Gothic cathedral, a proper limber team would need enormous numbers of horses, and I really was beginning to hate the whole idea. Amongst the spare figures I have from the Eric Knowles Hoard, there are a decent number of suitable draught horses, so my wizard wheeze was that a simple pair of horses, on a separate base, could be stood next to a gun, and that would suffice. 

Next I went through a tense couple of hours while I decided whether I could be bothered making up some drivers to look after these teams. There is a very useful Hinton Hunt ECW gun crew member who isn't actually doing anything, and I have some of these, so I decided I could hack a few heads off, replace with Irregular tricorn heads, and so on. Again, the job was getting fiddly. So I went back into the Spares Boxes and found enough odd artillery figures to fill the bill. I chose figures armed with sticks or poles of some sort - to encourage the cuddies. Already painted (thank you, Eric), all they and the horses needed was a bath, some gloss varnish and a nice new base - the aim, by now, was to have generic counters which would do for anyone. The driver, of course, may be dressed in any old uniform, but I don't care. The reasoning is:

(1) the artillery train and drivers were mostly civilians, so the driver may be wearing some unknown livery used by the contractor, or may be a soldier helping out, or may be wearing captured clothing, or anything, really. It's only a bloody game, for goodness sake.

(2) the limber is there somewhere, you just can't see it. 

(3) if you hang around for a while, when the gun comes into action the counter will be removed and is unlikely to be seen again - this would be a sad fate for an 8-horse limber team painted to museum standard.

Anyway, the whole project took me about 3 hours and was entirely supplied by existing spare parts - I even used my standard 50x45 MDF bases, of which I have bags (literally). Job done. Scrooge McFoy Productions triumph again.

Here you go - a supply of generic "limbered" markers. Available to all-comers

And here's one in use, contracted to the Imperial Army - yes, that's correct, the unit is obviously travelling to the left; the gun crew like to watch to see where they've been


22 comments:

  1. A good solution and using Hinton Hunt horses too - what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased, Ian - I had visions of setting up a diversion for myself - that's never happened before, has it?

      Delete
  2. Simple and effective.

    Do you think the gunners are all getting in some practice standing hands on hips for the pantomime season when campaigning ends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that could be true - it hadn't occurred to me, but campaigning season and Panto season dovetail rather nicely. It's all a bit tricky - hard to give commands when you've got your tongue stuck in your cheek, too.

      And when someone asks, "Where's the enemy...?", we can all reply [all together now] "They're behind you!"

      Oh what fun we have.

      Delete
    2. It also explains all those women dressing up as men in the army during the WSS. Mother Ross was just getting ready to play lead boy at the Bradford Alhambra’s Puss in Boots.

      Delete
    3. Jon - you are very kind. We are probably not funny at all, but we think we are hysterical.

      Delete
    4. By George, Dandini, me tights are killing me.

      Delete
    5. I think he meant funny peculiar

      Delete
  3. Looking very efficient old chap!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worked out better than expected. I worked on the principle that a minimal effort will not be mistaken for the best I can do (though it probably is).

      Delete
  4. They work really well Tony...
    I think I shall do the same for my Shiny Napoleonics ...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know that I shall cry when I see yours.

      Delete
  5. Your limber solution works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon - the problem has been that, when you turn the gun back to front, you have to know which direction it was going to start with. The markers clear that up nicely!

      Delete
  6. Very good - and it now occurs to me to wonder when the concept of the 'limber' actually came in? You may not be so far off the truth..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the light galloper guns, I know they had extended trails on the guns which could be fitted to a horse, but I think for the big guns the limbers in 1700 looked surprisingly modern. The observer may imagine any type of limber he cares for, of course, which must be another advantage.

      Delete
  7. A great solution and even better that all the figures came outta the bits box. 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does the job nicely I'd say Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee - no creeping elegance this time!

      Delete