Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Friday 15 November 2019

Hooptedoodle #350 - Strategy for Catching a Bus


This morning I was half-listening to the radio, and there was a phone-in discussion going on about people's private rituals - things they do every day as part of their lives, in that strange cross-over area where planning and commonsense checks start to shade into superstition and even obsession.

There were a lot of predictable items - one guy plays football in his local Sunday league - he always bends down to touch the grass as he walks on to the pitch - this is because his team once had an unexpected win in some competition or other, and since then he has come to believe that if he fails to touch the grass as he walks on then things might work out badly. In other words:

(1) it's become something he does on a regular basis

(2) it might do some good - OK, maybe unlikely, but it does no harm, so the safe bet might be to carry on doing it.

We probably all have a few of these wrinkles, though we might choose to claim that there is some rather more straightforward explanation. I always carry my penknife and a couple of guitar picks in my left-hand trouser pocket. I know where to find them, I can tell straight away if I've forgotten to pick them up from the tray on the bedroom chest of drawers - it's OK - it's a habit, but it's conscious organisation. You bet.

I knew a fellow years ago who played soccer to a decent amateur standard, and he always used to wear his "lucky" vest under his team jersey. He would claim that he was not superstitious, but panic would arise if he found his mother had this vest in the wash on match-day. The vest, by the way, was a total wreck, he had been wearing it since school. It was a relic.

When I was a kid, my dad, when he closed the front door, would tug the lock 10 times to check it was locked. If anything interrupted this procedure, he would start again. One morning (to my ecstatic, though secret, delight) he broke the lock. He would have maintained that he was checking the lock was secure, to keep his family and his possessions safe. Other opinions did exist.

Anyway, to the point. I was reminded this morning of a little conundrum that bothered me for years - not because it was a problem, but because it seemed there was an obvious need for some sort of simple strategy and - though you would think that such things were capable of numerical analysis, I never really managed to think it through.

Let's go back to the 1980s. At this time I lived in Morningside, a suburban district on the south side of Edinburgh, and I worked for a financial institution, whose offices were bang in the business centre - near St Andrew Square.


Each working day I would set off from home on my walk to the bus stop. It was about a mile to the bus stop - for the last half mile of this walk I had a straight view down to the main road ahead, crossing at right angles, where the buses I needed would pass from right to left.

These days the Edinburgh buses are a different proposition altogether - they have computer displays at each stop, which show you which buses, for which routes, are coming, and when they will be there. Everything is monitored. In the 1980s, the best I could do was to have a copy of the timetable on the notice board in the kitchen - I knew the times by heart, of course.

The problem was this last half-mile, during which I could see the bus route in the distance.  Now - a quick ponder on the nature of bus travel:

Suppose the buses ran every 15 minutes at this time of the day - officially, there might be a bus from my stop at 7:30am, 7:45am etc. Now, the traffic was heavy on working days, and the buses did not run on time - this was not any kind of symmetrical distribution - since the drivers got into trouble if they were early (because passengers would miss the bus), the buses would tend to be late. If I left home at 7:05, say, and it took me 20 minutes to walk to the stop, I would arrive five minutes before the 7:30 was due. Thus I might catch the previous bus, if it were running late, I might even, on rare occasions, be in time for the bus before that one, if it was very late indeed. Failing this, I should be in time for the published 7:30, though it could really turn up at any time after 7:30. The safest approach was to just assume that there was an irregular stream of buses, and that their arrival was pretty much random.

Right. So about 10 minutes after leaving the house I would get to the point on my walk where I could now see the buses passing, in the distance, and I would be able to see them from that point on. If a bus passed, I might be able to hazard a guess what official time that bus was supposed to have arrived, but it was not a particularly useful thing to think about during the final ten minutes' trek to the stop.

When I was still half a mile from the stop, if a bus passed, up ahead, then I would just shrug it off - it wasn't a bus I should have been on, the behaviour of subsequent buses was not affected in any predictable way. As I got nearer and nearer to the bus stop, this started to get more pressing; if a bus passed when I was, say, a hundred yards short of the stop then that would be a bit irritating, since a quick dash would have enabled me to catch that one. So the passage of buses at the end of the road became more important as I got nearer to the stop. Obviously, if a dash of a hundred yards would help, I could do this dash at any point during the walk, but that's not the instinct. What the dash might protect me from was not so much the risk of being late (since I should have plenty of time to get to work, and since getting earlier to the stop would simply put me into an unknown (earlier) bit of the sequence) - what I was protecting myself from was the frustration of having missed a bus when it was within my power to do something about it. This last bit is important.

Of course, I could just leave earlier, but that doesn't really change the unpredictability, or I could run the entire mile, which is not ideal if you are wearing a suit and office shoes, and maybe a top-coat, and maybe carrying a case - especially if you are going to spend a bus-ride jammed onto the lower deck - standing room only.

In practice, every day I would jog the last quarter mile - I felt better that way. Then, if I just missed a bus, I would feel that I had tried. I never jogged any previous quarter mile on the way there, because at that distance it doesn't seem like the correct thing to do.

None of this was ever really a problem - I can't recall ever being late for work. What bugged me was the suspicion that deciding to jog, every day, at the point where panic was beginning to set in felt a bit like dumb behaviour. There is a mathematical problem in which a man cuts diagonally across a square field, and a bull in the field charges at him from one of the other corners - it always heads straight towards him. The problem is to identify an equation for the path of the bull, and identify the limiting conditions, but the important, inescapable truth is that the bull is so damned stupid that it fails to realise it can catch the man by taking a short cut - taking a straight line to head him off rather than always just running directly at him.

I always had a feeling that I should have had an advantage over the bull, but it didn't feel like it.


17 comments:

  1. Never thought of it before, but now I do you’re right. Running at any point in the journey would have the same effect.

    Or would it? We’re in the territory of ‘why do buses always come in 3s/4s/5s etc’ aren’t we? So if you see one bus going past the junction ahead it could shortly be followed by another one. Or was the stop too early in the route for one late bus to be caught by the next bus in the timetable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the big ingredient in this is mild hysteria. There are a number of everyday situations where hysteria screws everything up on a regular and predictable basis. My favourite is the chaos at baggage collection carousels in airports - if people would just stand back until they see their suitcase then it would be easy, but everyone is so worried about his bag that everyone stands right next to the turntable, so no-one can see and people are more likely to get hurt or upset. I have to say that the British are the worst of the lot for this.

      Buses catching each other up is an interesting study, and of course the real situation at the end of our road was more complicated than I have stated it, since there were several routes going down that road, only some of which went the way I wanted, and the numbers on the sides were not visible from further away than a few yards (or, in my case, at all). Thus a bus passing half a mile away at 7:20 might be the 7:15 #16 running late, or it might be a #11 (no use) or a #5 (no use) or a #15 (OK) or....

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, the distinct Lack of Wisdom if Crowds. As you allude to elsewhere, people getting on buses is another one. I’ve become such an awkward old bugger, if I see anyone pushing to get on the tube while people are getting off I will block them if I possibly can (subject to how tough they look of course).

      Delete
  2. Excellent stuff, Tony! Related and analyzed as expected from a mathematician studying some stochastic process. Inter-arrival times of buses seems suited to Poisson. You really ought to make the computations. Growing up on a cattle ranch, I can attest to the behaviors of many a bull. They may be slow learners but they only need to catch you once to make the risk not worth taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Poisson could be the very chap. If we restrict the study to a single route (which is the basis of my statement of the problem above) and to a shortish interval of time so that we don't get outside the rush-hour, then I envisage a series of 15-minute "pulses", each being a curve which rises fairly quickly from the due time, and then tails off over 30 minutes or so. The area sum under this curve would be less than unity, since some of the buses might never arrive [if a bus gets to be more than half an hour late, assume it's broken down]. The overall probability curve would be the sum of these pulses, which overlap, of course, so I guess there would be peaks where arrival of a bus was most likely. As I've mentioned in my reply to the previous comment, the real situation was rather more complex, there being a number of routes passing along the same road. Still, if we add together the "useful" routes, the overall pattern would be similar. Thus, I guess, it would have been possible to aim for a "peak" time - that would have been a strategy of a sort.

      I am still left with the certain knowledge that, even armed with science and strategy, anxiety would still have got me jogging the last quarter mile every day!

      Mooo!

      Delete
  3. Does this explain why when you are driving, a pedestrian suddenly decides to run across the road in front of you ... they can make and they do run ....... but why do they start walking once they get halfway across!

    Under pressure, perhaps are legs programmed to run for 50% of the time and walk 50% of the time. You just did your running in the last 50% of your foot journey instead of the first.

    If I go for the train, I speed up the last part of the journey, the mindset is, ‘I’ve not missed it yet, I’m not going to cock it up now’. If I had a bull to motivate me, I would wear red and never miss a train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your description of your thought processes when going for the train is spot on - anxiety is the driver, I think, and the thought of only just failing is painful to contemplate.

      Pedestrians in the roadway - interesting. I live in a tourist area, and the village high streets are packed with visitors in the season, and at the weekends. People will check for approaching traffic (with greater or lesser degrees of skill), then set off across the road, at which point they seem to stop looking (especially if they are reading their mobile phone texts). Therefore anxiety disappears and they slow down. The fact that the approaching motorists then slow down to let them cross safely encourages them to believe they did OK.

      Delete
  4. Perhaps you should have got a bike …...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I had a bike, but in those days if you tried to ride into central Edinburgh on a weekday you would just get killed - no messing. These days there are proper cyclist signals and bus lanes you can use and all sorts, but not then. I did run into work a few times when I was in serious training, but there were problems getting to use the showers.

      Delete
    2. Oh aye, I remember Edinburgh in those days. Note earlier comments on pedestrians are relevant to cyclists too - the theory being 'If I don't look at it, it can't hit me.'

      Delete
    3. Agreed - alternative reality. In North Berwick in Summer the High Street is jammed with visitors, and a great many people sort of stagger off the kerb into the roadway, without realising what they've done, because they are in conversation on the phone.

      "Hold on, I'll send you a selfie of myself getting knocked down by a van..."

      Delete
  5. Of course there is a difference! If you ran earlier, you would get there at the same time without knowing that it helped. If you ran just in time you would have the satisfaction of knowing you had "scored one" so to speak. Of course running late and still missing would just make you feel even worse for having tried, but not hard enough, and still failed.

    Since I had some sort of deep seated fear of being early and thus possibly wasting precious seconds of "me time" I got into the habit of aiming for on time and not being seriously disappointed at being late, possibly because I was then wasting other people's time though I didn't consider that angle at the time, and don't like to ponder what weight a younger me would have put on that argument. .

    I am happy to say I have been much more prompt and concerned over wasting other people's time now that I am retired and have, if not a surplus, at least a near sufficiency of time to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravo! Excellently expressed - now I understand.

      Delete
  6. If you ran at the beginning you risked being early but due to your "condition" you would then feel compelled to run for the earlier bus.

    Running the middle section would just make you feel silly.

    I do remember a gentleman who used to walk ten steps then jog ten to the train when I was a lad. Perhaps her was ex-Light Infantry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're correct Matt - I understand it much better now.

      Delete
  7. I am fortunate that all of the buses that arrive at the stop at the end of my road also stop at the town centre and at Nottingham station which is where I get the tram to work..
    If there is a bus at the stop and I am anymore than a gentle walk away ... I just let it go... there will be another in 2-4 minutes.
    There is also a slight disadvantage to getting to the tram too early... it is often stuffed full of students... by missing this (though I may miss out on some grumpy old man moments)... there will be another along in 4-7 minutes... unless the wrong kind of ... leaves,rain,snow,lava,frogs etc. are on the line....;-)
    The down side is that I have become more and more relaxed about when I leave the house in the morning... my friends are genuinely surprised when I arrive on time...
    I did have a girlfriend who used to slow down considerably as she got nearer the bus or train she was running for... on more than one occasion she was rather surprised when it buggered off without her...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your calm approach is admirable - I think I may have worked myself up into a state all those years ago, since I was rather tense by nature, and I got to think about the matter every weekday morning for some 10 years or so. I was never late though, which I suppose is something I can try to impress St Peter with.

      I recall that the bus passengers were usually anxious enough to push on to the bus before anyone had a chance to get off - I wonder if they were surprised about this problem every morning?

      Your former girlfriend - maybe she really didn't want to go? When my dad was still living in Liverpool, and he was in his late 70s, he came up to North Berwick on the train a couple of times. Change-over times for his trains at Edinburgh Waverley were sometimes a bit tight. He would start off walking to the appropriate platform, and he would remember to get a move on, since he only had a few minutes, and then after about a minute he would forget he was hurrying, so I had to nag him throughout. That really is something out of a bad dream.

      Delete