Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Sunday, 4 October 2026

Away Day: The Unpleasantness at Altenrode

On Wednesday of last week I travelled up north to the Stryker estates, beyond the Ancient Kingdom, to take part in one of Ian's splendid Napoleonic games. These days are always spectacular - a wonderful treat to see the current state of the armies - and a lot of work has gone into extending the Allied contingent since I was last there, so lots of new troops to enjoy.

Ian had set up a fictitious battle from the Befreiungskrieg period; you will find his official blog post - with details of the back-story and the armies, and far, far better photos then mine here. My partner for the day was the Archduke, who had travelled much further than I, and he (appropriately) commanded the Austrians on our right flank. I was Barclay de Tolly, no less, with a fine force of Roossians and Proossians - mostly new to me, and all very exciting. Stryker commanded the French army, which is as it should be. Because I am late to publish and heavily outgunned on the presentation front, I shall aim merely to add a few extra photos to Ian's splendid account.

 
From the Allied side, this is the Austrian flank at the outset. You can see two of the three villages which were our objectives for the day. Lots of guns on hills

 
This is my (Barclay de Tolly's) flank. Our Russian lads like things simple, so the order of the day was "if the river is on your right, you are facing the enemy". Each army had some reserves on the table edge, which could be deployed once the advance started. You can see the left-hand village, on this side of the windmill

 
Predictably, my cavalry advanced on the left. It is astonishing how those brave written-out orders look less reassuring when you start actually moving the troops. Here you can see some notable units; the Silesian Landwehr were present (what could possibly go wrong?) and two fine battalions of Russians in greatcoats - love them - proper soldiers. On the right here you can see some British artillery chaps, who had obviously come to repair the street lamps 

 
Barclay's cavalry got off to a faltering start, so I sent the Astrakhan heavies from the reserve to give them a bit extra clout
 
 
The Austrians went in vigorously, aiming to take possession of Altenrode itself

 
This is my big push to stop the French getting troops over the bridge. This advance is headed up by some Russian Jaegers, who didn't have a great day. At this point the French still hold the village to my front

 
My push made little headway, but the troops with blue counters here (which means they have lost their colonels already) set about trying to take the village

 
Over on my right, the Archduke is doing well at Altenrode. At this stage, I expected that we would hold this village, but I was less confident about the other two. In fact we took the other two, but not this one, which gives a good idea of how much I know about such things

 
The Russians have taken the left village, my cavalry are doing better than I expected, and the Prussian Guard have arrived, though they are not sure what they should do next

 
At one point I seem to have been getting a little despondent about my pathetic dice rolls - I took a picture of this example, which was about my worst of the day

 
To my surprise, the cavalry fight went better than expected - the Russian heavies did a good job here


 
Austrians in charge in the centre...

 
...and the French are a bit short of numbers on my side of the river - they did send a couple of battalions across to strengthen the centre early on

 
We got to complete Turn 8 - the official knocking-off time. The French threw in a lot of very prestigious cavalry at the end, but they were probably too late to make a big difference. The day was notable for the damage caused by artillery. Ian's account explains that the Allies won on Victory Points, which is gratifying but didn't seem obvious before the totting-up was complete

What a smashing day! Great food and excellent company, and it was also very good to see the Archduke so much recovered from his recent illness. I can only offer my thanks and appreciation to my hosts and companions - a fine game and a most enjoyable trip.  

Thank you. 

24 comments:

  1. Splendid report, MSFoy! The table and figures look fantastic. Glad you had a great day up north and secured the victory!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy - all excellent fun, and I must say it's a lot less labour-intensive fighting at someone else's house!

      Delete
    2. Too true! Playing on someone else's table without having to clear up afterwards is definitely the best way to game!

      Delete
    3. And that's to say nothing of washing dishes...

      Delete
  2. lovely looking game ..... quality time wargaming with friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so - I've had a rather disrupted year, but it's good to be reminded how good this is.

      Delete
  3. You played an exemplary game Tony - I’m not letting you have the Roossians again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roossian lads very straightforward - keep the river on your right, and do what the sergeant tells you. Rules played well - though of course I was following along some distance behind with the arithmetic

      Delete
  4. Good read, and such a super looking game, really ticks all the boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention - iced gingerbread during the afternoon session - that must be another tick.

      Delete
  5. Looks a great game Tony. Congratulations on victory over the Corsican Ogre. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris - it's OK to drive away feeling smug, but I didn't know for sure we'd won until I got home.

      Delete
  6. Well done Tony, it looked like a fine game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an excellent game - Old School at its finest

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Scary Matt, very scary. I have nothing to say about rockets - I think we were firing catherine wheels.

      Delete
  8. What a lot of troops! It sounds a really enjoyable day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim, you can't have too many soldiers, or dice, or too much of Baroness Stryker's cooking. I'm back on the tuna fish pasta this week.

      Delete
  9. A fab report Tony! Horrid dice though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray - it takes a lot to keep me humble - I admit it - but dice rolls like this go a long way in that direction...

      Delete
  10. Very splendid - might I ask what formation each of those 24 figure represents under this set up, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't give any kind of authoritative opinion on this, but I think I understand the background and the traditions of the game sufficiently to have a view. These rules are deliberately a 1970s-style Old School set, so in a number of situations the answer to the question "why?" is very largely "because that is how these games were played in the 1970s", and I'm all in favour of this. There is probably a stated figures:men ratio, but I have to stay I'm not sure. It may be 1:25, or 1:33, but the important number is that a normal battalion has 24 figures, as you observe, and if they are no more than 2 ranks deep then they move and fire as a line, and if they are deeper than that they are a column. Most of the infantry units in the photos are columns - 4 ranks of 6 men.

      Delete
  11. What a terrific old school game. I think I'll take a chance on buying Ian's rules, can one have too many sets of Naps rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael - no, rules are another thing you cannot have too many of. I am sure Ian will be pleased to send you a copy.

      Delete