Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Thursday 2 May 2024

WSS: Siege Equipment - a taste of what is going on in the background

 I'm working away in the evenings, painting up siege pieces and spare gunners. It would be tedious to post much of this stuff, since it is all pretty samey, and not awfully dashing. The working class end of the armies? There is a lot of repainting of items I've had stored away for years - no prizes will be sought.

Here are some examples, now based up and ready to fight. The equipment is deliberately painted up in non-specific brown woodstain, the idea being that it can be loaned out to any army which needs it. The intention is that the gunners will be sort of general-purpose too, though they may divide into French-type and Dutch-allies-type.



Here we have a big gun, which is an old Hinchliffe casting of a siege cannon (which might be rather more comfortable in the SYW, but I don't care) and mortars of two sizes, both supplied by Lancer Miniatures many years later than the Big Hinchie. A sprinkling of my new vaguely-French gunners are happy to pose in the sunshine along with the siege kit. As you might expect of me, they are old Les Higgins figures. If you have a mistrust of any artillery officer who is seen waving his sword a long way away from the enemy, then I have to say I am right with you, but I am too mean to reject perfectly good re-usable officers on the grounds of mere taste. There should be less of that sort of thing as the numbers of gunners grow.


***** Late Edit *****

Further to Ian's comment, here is an extreme example of long-distance sword waving.


This print shows Menno van Coehorn himself, commanding the forces of the United Provinces at the siege of Bonn. Not only is Coehorn a very long way from the enemy here (since the enemy is under siege), but you will observe that Bonn is actually on the other side of the Rhine. 

*********************

20 comments:

  1. Great Guns, Foy, they're far from workman-like.
    Yours, brandishing my sword rom the rear,
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artillery pieces are always a bit of a drag to paint, but - every time - they come up better than I expect. Brandishing one's sword at the rear - there is an interesting memoir from somewhere - is it Waterloo? - concerning soldiers that run away from battles, and are found leaping about in a state of adrenaline overload, waving swords and telling of their bold adventures in the battle they just missed. I must try to remember where I found this!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The flexibility even goes beyond this immediate period - my Spanish Napoleonic army has been waiting for a siege train for years, so they can have a share in it as necessary; I've had bags of SHQ gunners waiting for just such a gig. The Spaniards also give scope for even more flexibility; if a particular siege requires "fanatical" civilians to help out with manning the guns (cue Agustina and friends), I can usefully borrow some spare artillerymen from the ECW box. In the overall spread of history, a couple of centuries is nothing, and national borders are but a passing fancy.

      Delete
  3. Nice work Tony and sword wielding officers should be mandatory in all batteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian - your comment has prompted a Late Edit to my post!

      Delete
  4. Aw come on, if you've got sword you just gotta wave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Rob. That is very true. Also I suspect that pointing at things with a sword would be a bit like sitting on a horse, and immediately identify you as a leader.

      Delete
  5. Possibly the sword is useful for pointing things out? My wife is always complaining when I wave my walking stick around to indicate interesting features in the hills. Nice artillery pieces BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Martin. I can see that a sword, or a walking stick, would make an admirable pointer, as would a baguette loaf, though this last example has disadvantages in the rain. I am quite happy to accept your thoughts, with two minor provisos:

      (1) I have a great many officers in my armies who are wielding a sword, yet are pointing with the other hand, so there must be some extra nuances to this.

      (2) In the days when I used to do an amount of lecturing, I had a telescopic pointer with a tiny LED light on the end, which I rather liked, but apparently it irritated the heck out of my students. Maybe pointers of any description do not sit well with a democratic group?

      Delete
  6. The ordinance of siege train can be used without much of stretch from about 1640 to about 1630, I'd venture. I personally enjoy seeing a lot of big guns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, Peter, that isn't much of a stretch!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Ray, guns are the devil's playthings - bear it in mind. Especially when I'm rolling the dice.

      Delete
    2. I first read that without the comma between 'ray' and 'guns'. I thought 'crikey, he's gone all sci-fi on us'. relieved you haven't.

      Delete
  8. Coming along nicely.
    As far as sword waving is concerned, how can you inspire troops waving a crop or gloves?
    The troops deserve nothing less than a heavily decorated sword surely. No matter how far from the rear they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably true. On the other hand, an idiot with a sword is still an idiot.

      Delete
  9. On artillery officers waving swords when well away from needing to use it as a weapon: it reminds me of the type of bloke who leans back into his friends pretending they are holding him back when involved in verbals.
    A true gentleman, like Lt. The Hon. George Colthurst St Barleigh, knew that all an officer needed to face the enemy was a cane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes - old George - best tiddlywinker I ever met.

      Delete